Time for Public Relations

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching the HS playoff game between Milton & Walton last week and the commentators interviewed a TE who signed with uga. In addition to to talking about how much he was looking forward to playing they had him do play by play for a quarter. Man, what PR for a school that is. Some of the sponsors for that game were, Dawg Nation, AJC, WSB . All heavy into all things uga. Do you think that Tstan might consider forming a PR firm or hiring a PR firm to push all things Tech, to local media outlets?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I know just the man to promote our football program. He's all about PR and talking up the program. Great with communicating to fans and big donors as well. He LOVES the program. 🙂

1639076590962.png

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
More like time for a public explanation on wtf Todd is thinking strategically instead of "we had chances to win this season but didn't" (which isn't really true). We have much bigger problems than PR right now, like being able to execute B A S I C fundamentals of football.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
More like time for a public explanation on wtf Todd is thinking strategically instead of "we had chances to win this season but didn't" (which isn't really true). We have much bigger problems than PR right now, like being able to execute B A S I C fundamentals of football.

Explain how is that not true?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
ok, let me expand on this thought. If Tech has a legitimate PR firm they could feed positive news stories to all local TV/radio outlets. It could be 10 - 20 second daily stories on men's / women sports all positive or upcoming games. Hell, all the talking head has to do is read the info, we've done the work for them. Look, Tech has nothing to lose, uga already has numerous ex jocks in the business maybe this would help balance the playing field.

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
ok, let me expand on this thought. If Tech has a legitimate PR firm they could feed positive news stories to all local TV/radio outlets. It could be 10 - 20 second daily stories on men's / women sports all positive or upcoming games. Hell, all the talking head has to do is read the info, we've done the work for them. Look, Tech has nothing to lose, uga already has numerous ex jocks in the business maybe this would help balance the playing field.
Do you know what the average hit rate for a pitch is? The majority of press releases are the boring type, the type that average Joe's don't see. Most press releases are sort of like you describe, but they still don't get picked up because the content is deemed to be something that the audience doesn't want to consume. News orgs aren't quite as lazy as many make them out to be, they're willing to put in work for stories they think their audience will appreciate and therefore pay for.

To be clear, I agree with you that we would benefit from a better PR department, but selling GT football to Atlanta media consumers is like trying to sell ice to an Eskimo right now.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

The media's job (ultimately) is to sell advertising space. Which means focusing on stories listeners, watchers, and readers are interested in. PR, or lack thereof, isn't our problem, at least in the short term. Now, if we took a long term approach to PR, things might change, but winning a few more games would help tremendously.

Jmonty71

Banned
I think hiring a PR firm to represent GT football in a good way, would be tough. But, hey.... There are plenty of people that do PR for our failing Government and they seem to fool people, so there is hope.. **Joking** for those that get their feathers ruffled. But, seriously... A good PR firm can make any product look good. I think Collins does a lot of Marketing on his own. However; he does it in a manner of where he just repeats the same stuff over and over and over and over....over...over... I mean, he is like directions on a shampoo bottle rinse, wash, rinse, repeat.... I think a PR team can bring in some realism and connect the fans.. Collins fails to reach out to the fans, in my opinion.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Early signing period begins 12/15. It will be interesting to see what effect, if any, the last three 3-9 seasons, recent entries into the Transfer Portal, decommitments and the staff changes since the end of our season are going to be perceived by our remaining recruits.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
A PR firm doesn’t make a 3-9 team more appealing
This is a time when we do need some good PR. All you need to see is what a company does when they are hit by a bad product distribution, disaster or criminal action. First thing out, PR containment and spinning the story. If this doesn't fit Tech, I don't what does!