Time For a Run

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I find it hilarious that we can't expect better results than we've seen. This is year 3. Chris Beard turned things around at Texas Tech in about 30 days. Sure maybe they weren't in as bad of a spot as us, but they don't recruit 5 stars, and somehow he's winning tons of games. Their Okogie was Zhaire Smith. They went to the elite 8 with a bunch of 3 stars. Some coaches have it, others don't. I think we all know CJP will be here for a couple more years at this point, but we need to do better in every area especially recruiting if we aren't able to win big with the 3 star guys. JO wasn't his player, but I also understand we'd probably add 4-5 wins with him, so we might be a tourney team this year with him, but I don't know why we can't talk about what we need to improve on. There is super negative, and then there is realistic.
How is actually listening to what the coach is saying being super negative? The plan from day 1 was get old stay old well his first class are true sophomores so I don’t expect much lmao...

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I find it hilarious that we can't expect better results than we've seen. This is year 3. Chris Beard turned things around at Texas Tech in about 30 days. Sure maybe they weren't in as bad of a spot as us, but they don't recruit 5 stars, and somehow he's winning tons of games. Their Okogie was Zhaire Smith. They went to the elite 8 with a bunch of 3 stars. Some coaches have it, others don't. I think we all know CJP will be here for a couple more years at this point, but we need to do better in every area especially recruiting if we aren't able to win big with the 3 star guys. JO wasn't his player, but I also understand we'd probably add 4-5 wins with him, so we might be a tourney team this year with him, but I don't know why we can't talk about what we need to improve on. There is super negative, and then there is realistic.

The problem with your Chris Beard comparison is that he's a better coach than Pastner. Straight up. That's reality.

I've got some other thoughts on reality I'll try to share after work.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I find it hilarious that we can't expect better results than we've seen. This is year 3. Chris Beard turned things around at Texas Tech in about 30 days. Sure maybe they weren't in as bad of a spot as us, but they don't recruit 5 stars, and somehow he's winning tons of games. Their Okogie was Zhaire Smith. They went to the elite 8 with a bunch of 3 stars.

What? TT was a tourney team the year before Beard was hired and his first year was a step back. They were in a much better position. Also it's not just about the level of talent but just having the guys. From 2013 to 2016 we basically recruited 6 players total that has any sort of impact. (Q, Jackson, Lammers, Gueye, Ogbonda, and Okogie). We also had Matthews who was clearly not an ACC player and a reach in Moore after Pastner was hired. To put that in perspective, TT's 2014 class alone, which were seniors last year had 7 players in it. Yes TT had a great year last year. They had their okogie. Their Okogie was their second best player behind a senior Keenan Evans along with a host of other seniors so they weren't relying as much on freshmen and sophomores.

It's frustrating that the process isn't happening quicker, but I feel people don't realize how bad a situation gregory left. We are in year 3 and we have only 2 players that were here in year 1. That's not the way you build a program and it is a multi year problem as we are seeing.