Tighter Coverage alignment to LOS, Gamble at DE, more multiple presnap look...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
good blitz variation

finally see a defensive scheme we have been asking for, for weeks, along with the RIGHT DL personnel that I personally have been begging to see since summer.

Bottom line. Big Props to CPJ for stepping in and influencing the D. Semi-Props to Roof for listening and rallying around Paul.

And, low and behold, when you play tighter, and are closer to the offensive players...TACKLING improves as well. We tackled very well yesterday. We were not reaching, our of position or having to cover 10 yards of space due to ridiculous drops and tackle a guy in the open field.

All in all this is a scheme, alignment, personnel grouping I can rally around

unfortunately....life is a perfect storm and Gamble is injured. This is a big progression setback. But we can still play this scheme!!!!

Kudos to the staff, disappointed it took this long. But still I am happy they did it vs not at all (like stuff under other coaches)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This late change in the defense gives less film for our next three opponents to study. This defense change is better late than never.
My favorite blitz that we used was with davis and one other with freeman at DE . The qb knew he had little time before one of these guys was on him - the balance of the DL stayed in rush lanes and provided contain.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
good blitz variation

finally see a defensive scheme we have been asking for, for weeks, along with the RIGHT DL personnel that I personally have been begging to see since summer.

Bottom line. Big Props to CPJ for stepping in and influencing the D. Semi-Props to Roof for listening and rallying around Paul.

agree with your comments 100%. I hope that Gamble is not hurt too severely although announcers said that he got rolled up pretty bad. lastly, as a GT grad, we can assume TR is a reasonably intelligent guy - most of us are smart enough to "listen" to the boss's suggestions.;)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So who backs up DT now besides Kallon? And how did Kallon look yesterday btw?

Might roll to a 3-3-5 look more. Considering we play NC State (spread heavy), Clemson (spread heavy), and UGA the next 3, a 3-3-5 look for the first two wouldn't be that bad. REALLY need to get Gamble back by UGA and I hope the guy is alright. UGA will try to run it down our throats so that extra DL with size upfront is important. The good thing is UGA looked terrible on defense against basically a 2 read option offense.

slugboy

Staff member
We don't have a 3-3-5 listed, but here's the 4-3 depth chart. Gamble's the #1 DE, #2 NT, and #2 DT. Behind him, you've got Stargel, Gardner, and Cheeks (assuming that the depth chart doesn't get a major restructure with Gamble out).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We don't have a 3-3-5 listed, but here's the 4-3 depth chart. Gamble's the #1 DE, #2 NT, and #2 DT. Behind him, you've got Stargel, Gardner, and Cheeks (assuming that the depth chart doesn't get a major restructure with Gamble out).

We played in a 3-3-5 a lot yesterday. Just because the depth chart is structured to a 4-3 doesn't mean we're obligated to stick to it.

3-3-5 makes sense going forward considering our attrition and lack of playmakers on the DL. Lots of things you can do in 3-3-5 in terms of player movement (similar to a 3-4).

slugboy

Staff member
We played in a 3-3-5 a lot yesterday. Just because the depth chart is structured to a 4-3 doesn't mean we're obligated to stick to it.

3-3-5 makes sense going forward considering our attrition and lack of playmakers on the DL. Lots of things you can do in 3-3-5 in terms of player movement (similar to a 3-4).
@Techster - Never said we were obligated to stick with a 4-3, or that we didn't play a lot of 3-3-5. @UgaBlows asked who would take over for Gamble, and the 4-3 depth chart is the closest reference around.

I'm not really expecting to see many of the third stringers in, unless we're pounding NCST.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought freeman had a huge game yesterday and may challenge golden for the game ball. If he can stay on the team and out of the doghouse, he could be the next sneezy.