Throwing Frisbees off the Upper Deck...

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Did we really do this? I was a student in the mid-80's and I have a vague recollection of souvenir Frisbees being passed out and then being hurled at the opposing band at halftime...

Seemed funny to a 20 year old me at the time, but now it seems pretty damn dangerous - can you imagine splitting someone's skull when they come down near vertical?

Does anyone else remember this?

Declinometer

Banned
Did we really do this? I was a student in the mid-80's and I have a vague recollection of souvenir Frisbees being passed out and then being hurled at the opposing band at halftime...

Seemed funny to a 20 year old me at the time, but now it seems pretty damn dangerous - can you imagine splitting someone's skull when they come down near vertical?

My God what were those frisbees made out of?

Woodstock

Georgia Tech Fan

I think it was in 1984, but could have been 1983. Someone passed them out earlier, and several dozen were brought in to the game. There was a general conspiracy to save them until halftime and throw them at the Auburn Band. The Cheerleaders ran out on the field and picked them up and threw them back into the stands until adult supervision occurred.

The Auburn Band Director wrote a nasty letter - published in The Technique - promising to never come back to Grant Field.

There was also a seat cushion event.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Yea, I remember what a disaster the seat cushion thing was - covered the North end zone...

Even a little cheapo Frisbee would crack a skull when it's coming straight down from over a hundred feet...

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it was in 1984, but could have been 1983. Someone passed them out earlier, and several dozen were brought in to the game. There was a general conspiracy to save them until halftime and throw them at the Auburn Band. The Cheerleaders ran out on the field and picked them up and threw them back into the stands until adult supervision occurred.

The Auburn Band Director wrote a nasty letter - published in The Technique - promising to never come back to Grant Field.

If it was between the two, had to be 1984 - I was still taking calc and chemistry at DeKalb Community College to get into GT in 1983...

Animal02

Banned
I remember around '80 or '81, the vendors had the bright idea to change from shrink wrap on the drinks they carried into the stands to plastic lids...and not the flimsy ones they use now......these were thick plastic......almost like a Tupperware...... They were like mini Frisbees and got used as such...,.the north end zone was covered in them. That brilliant idea did not last long

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You "kids" were so nice. (tic) I remember fish and rotten eggs for Notre Dame in 77 or 78.

There's a reason the students don't sit behind the opposing team anymore, especially within range of the upper decks. We also may have gotten banned from TV (I know we got in trouble) for a while for the "bullsh!t" cheer to critique the officials. Today the throwing thing would be frowned on more and the swearing is more typical. I guess times do change.

Woodstock

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah, it was real hilarious.

Looking at the records, I'm believe it was 1983, since we played Auburn at home that year - and our football team was pretty bad - Robert Lavette only made 803 yards for the year. 1983 was also the year I sat in the cold and rain in Knoxville while, after every Tech offensive play, the PA announcer screamed "<fitb> sacked by Reggie White and a host of Volunteers!" We lost 37-3 on my most miserable day in attendance at a sporting event.

Now 1984, that was a great year.

wishbone

Georgia Tech Fan
GT Navy Nuke .
You are kind with the facts...it was more than fish and eggs.

Off topic: there were two Navy F18 aircrews that flew one of GT's most spectacular opening flyovers -that later got both hammered by Navy brass for same. Hope those guys got past it MIL wise?

Animal02

Banned
You "kids" were so nice. (tic) I remember fish and rotten eggs for Notre Dame in 77 or 78.

There's a reason the students don't sit behind the opposing team anymore, especially within range of the upper decks. We also may have gotten banned from TV (I know we got in trouble) for a while for the "bullsh!t" cheer to critique the officials. Today the throwing thing would be frowned on more and the swearing is more typical. I guess times do change.
78...my freshman year.....frozen fish, potatoes. Among other things

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember being at a Braves game once, when they either gave out frisbees or seat cushions. The first base ump made a bad call and someone launched one toward him. Not thinking he picked up said object and returned fire, well, all hell broke loose. There were frisbees/seat cushions coming from all directions as well as other objects and the umps made a dash for safety! It took several minutes to clean up the debris but remains one of the best times I ever had at a baseball game!

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Off topic: there were two Navy F18 aircrews that flew one of GT's most spectacular opening flyovers -that later got both hammered by Navy brass for same. Hope those guys got past it MIL wise?

Here's the referenced flyover. Gear down and buzzed the Coke tower. They were GT grads and I recall they may have lost their wings for the stunt when the video went viral.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck

It's their fault for being Auburn

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's the referenced flyover. Gear down and buzzed the Coke tower. They were GT grads and I recall they may have lost their wings for the stunt when the video went viral.

They didn't lose their wings but did ruin the rest of their careers without good assignments after that. (From another GT Naval aviator who knew them.) That was one of the most awesome flyovers ever.

bubba dodd

Georgia Tech Fan
Fraternities got to sit in the "flash card" section lower East between the 10 and 30 yd line. I remember the Mackerel thrown off the East upper deck when Aria Parsigon tried to run up the score on a Nationally televised game with Notre Dame.......also....before my time...Bear Bryant came onto the field thru the tunnel between the North and East stands wearing a football helmet 'cause the students were pelting the players with empty bottles....the picture was on the front page of many publications.......no reprimand for any of the students....those were the days!!!!!!

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember the 78 game with Notre Dame when fish was thrown on the field. I still remember a picture in the AJC with Dan Devine's look of frustration at the fans.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I was joking with a current USAF pilot about bringing back the game day flyover and he said it got wacked in the budget crisis. He also said he used to do them all the time and would tell his buddies "There's no winning on a flyover, it's either break even or lose." What he meant is that you have to follow the rules and not go for the big show or you're gonna get burned.