Three dumb questions

Should be tomorrow around noon, unless they take the six day option (which they can do twice a season; not sure how many the networks have used so far this year).*

Btw the Miami game will start at noon, because of course it will.
would it not be our white out and as such try to draw a night game. Also looking at the schedule there are not a lot of compelling games. UGA Auburn will be CBS. Notre Dame Florida State is NBC. I would think ESPN2 or ESPNU at night

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if it's a QB Sweep or if TO has his mind made up on which option to use before he even hikes the ball.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
So what should we expect future DC’s to come up with to foil this play and what’s our counter move to make them look even sillier?

Force TO to pitch. Make every playside player to fill use both safeties as pitch keys. It would be sorta of 4-4 defense like Kansas. The playside Safety would feather outside D gap, but not run upfield to create a seam.
3FA3A195-201F-463A-AA0B-09E719AA8E29.jpeg

If it went backside. Rotation would look like this
F561BCFD-ACFC-4520-AEFE-68C7A32DD7F0.jpeg

Now the backside pass would be open but that would get Tobias away from his strength

Thanks for the pics @steebu

Last edited:

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
And with all this it would not make sense for CPJ to play both TQM and Tobias in the games. This type of switch up would wreak havoc. also you could have TQM play A back, take a toss, stop pop and throw it.
I mentioned this last spring when we thought LJ might contend to be a starter. Pretty much got laughed at for suggesting 2 "QBs" in the same backfield. I still think it's worth trying. Maybe save it for the DWAGS.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The answer to 2 sounds pretty good. The only thing is we leave the A back from motion behind the qb. That makes it 9 on 10. Is like to know why we wouldn’t have the AB go in the midline motion where he goes in front of the QB. Regardless, we did really well running the play.

Actually the D is schooled to play assignment D so a defender has to cover that trailing AB (result same as a block so 10 on 10).

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
As to why it worked, it looked to me that it started off fast. We got TO and the blockers out there in a hurry. I don't know that there was a specific hole Oliver was looking for. It looked to me like the first time he saw a gap he decisively took it. Then his quickness and power took over.

If they did start to defend it with speed and numbers, I wonder what would happen if we ran a reverse out of it? I think there is an A back flanking Oliver. Just hand it to him going the other way.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Great analysis! And of course the defense has to stay honest because while we ran this play a ton Thursday night, there are counters to it. Our problems arise when teams are better coached across the board to defend our offense and when teams have guys that we simply can’t block.

Here are some questions, are we capable of running this play with as much success (and our offense in general) against our next 4 opponents? Will we look back and say our offense was unstoppable in each game this year outside of Duke and Clemson? Or will someone else shut it down?

Miami with their speed on the outside might be able to counter this play but they are notoriously undisciplined, inclined to free lance on the slightest whim and generally poor tacklers. Virginia and UGA may be tough but after watching the Florida game I am inclined to run right at them with the Bback dives and counter traps.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
And with all this it would not make sense for CPJ to play both TQM and Tobias in the games. This type of switch up would wreak havoc. also you could have TQM play A back, take a toss, stop pop and throw it.

You’re probably right but I was thinking just the opposite before I read your post. It might be a bad idea to PLAN to put both quarterbacks in the same game but I think it’s nice that everyone knows we have two capable quarterbacks and the opposition doesn’t know which one to prepare for. I think our opponents will have to prepare for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
1.) The play that G-Tech runs over and over that Virginia Tech and South Florida can't seem to stop, that only Oliver seems to run. Snaps the ball, no intent of pitching, finds a crease and gets anywhere from 3-4 to 20+ yards on... Is that a QB sweep? Or is that the Triple Option and Oliver just decides he is never going to pitch it?

2.) Why couldn't USF and V-Tech stop it?

3.) Why does that seem like the official play of Tobias Oliver?
QB keep and Foster said Tech put it in new.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
would it not be our white out and as such try to draw a night game. Also looking at the schedule there are not a lot of compelling games. UGA Auburn will be CBS. Notre Dame Florida State is NBC. I would think ESPN2 or ESPNU at night
It was mostly a joke, but as has been discussed ad nauseum, we don’t control kick times. Believe Carolina was our whiteout game last year. I’ll give you one guess what time that game kicked at.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Force TO to pitch. Make every playside player to fill use both safeties as pitch keys. It would be sorta of 4-4 defense like Kansas. The playside Safety would feather outside D gap, but not run upfield to create a seam.
View attachment 4373

If it went backside. Rotation would look like thisView attachment 4374

Now the backside pass would be open but that would get Tobias away from his strength

This is where having the threat of a pass is so helpful. All you have to do is hit 1 big play 1 time and the threat is established. We didn't need it against VT, but I guarantee you if they started shutting it down and guys started cheating, CPJ would've had the backside WR run at the DB and look like he's blocking, then take off downfield for a wide-open TD. *BAM* instant threat established, and now the backside CB and S stay home allowing a bigger numbers advantage when running the sweep to the playside.

It's just like running the triple. These commentators keep saying, "Establish the fullback dive!" but that's not true. As @stylee pointed out long ago, all you have to do is establish the threat of the dive and linebackers have to stay honest; you don't have to run the dive 15 times in a row.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 4373

If it went backside. Rotation would look like thisView attachment 4374

Why do you think Bud Foster didn’t play like this?

I don’t believe that he isn’t capable of seeing what was happening or making the adjustment.

I think its because it would make the defense too exposed to the dive and midline.

/

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I guess Bud didn't watch our South Florida game where TO only ran that play like ... 12 times in a row? I mean, we blocked it differently because SF had a different front, but I guess the VT fans are right: Bud's just too arrogant and stubborn.

Learn your font. Some don't read.

As I suspect you know, Bud has a young D whom he prepared for the triple. When we hit them with QB sweep etc, they weren't ready.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Steebu and ibeatthetris pretty much nailed it. I would only add for number 2 that I have never seen a Bud Foster defense tackle as poorly as this one. Granted TO is extremely gifted at finding even the slightest crease and unlike Marshall he does not go down with sloppy arm tackles. Marshall is slippery while TO is fast and decisive. I have no idea which is better suited for our offense but glad to have both of them. TO only weighs about maybe 185 on his 6'2" frame but he runs much bigger hence the comparisons to Nesbitt which in my view is not warranted. They are entirely different animals.
For the record, I see merit in playing either QB, so I don’t want my take on your trade-off to sound biased.

I would argue decisiveness is more important in this offense. Everything happens in fractions of a second, and essentially it comes down to feel. I compare it to chipping & pitching in golf. Yes - you can gather data points on the green speeds, breaks, and other factors...but it ultimately comes down to feel in the moment. It’s a strange thing to describe because many of us come from very analytical backgrounds where we seek perfect information and rationale decision-making, but honestly it’s just too hard to consciously make decisions in fractions of a second.

That’s why blitzing can be so detrimental to this offense - it hastens the decision making. It’s my belief that regardless of front 7 alignment, the teams most successful against option attacks successfully hasten QB decision making and force OLmen to constantly consider blitzing LBs (rather than firing off the ball full steam). In the past, Bud Foster did a better job at creating disruption by generating blitz and stunt packages with DEs and OLBs (and using the MLB to track the alley, and Safeties to track the pitchman).