Thread to actually discuss football

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the reasons I have liked this site is hearing the discussions and breakdowns of what actually happened in the game. The issue is right now people are too upset about last weekend (and rightfully so) that all the threads end up being people complaining or arguing about the state of the program so there is very little discussion about Xs and Os anymore. Therefore I decided to start a thread aimed at bringing back constructive discussions about plays and schemes from our games.

The point of this thread is focus on the Xs and Os by discussing the following topics:
1. Specific plays from previous games
2. Impacts of different players in the games
3. Constructive thoughts on schemes we employ
4. Constructive thoughts on coaching decisions in the game (i.e. balance of run/pass, use of time outs, situational play calls, etc.)
5. Gameplans for upcoming games

This thread is intended to be a constructive conversation so to help keep this thread on track (hopefully) please try to follow the rules below:
1. No calling for the firing of any coach
2. No discussions about the programs choices of music, money down, dancing, attire, social media presence, etc.
3. No discussions about the tone or messages from any press conferences or interviews (exceptions for referencing something a coach or player said to clarify a point about a decision or play on the field)
4. No discussions on the competency of any coach or player
5. No bringing up any previous coaching regimes
6. No discussions about the triple option unless referring to plays KSU ran
7. No arguing!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The improvement I want to see in the O play calling is to get the high percentage first downs. I am talking about the 2nd and 3 or 3rd and 2. In those situations we need to run the ball. Too often in those situations we have unsuccessfully passed and the result is a 4th down punt (often in 4th and 12). This has been a two+ year pattern with the play calling. Getting these high percentage first downs needs to be a priority. Short yardage run plays need to be quick and downhill up the middle or off tackle, not slow developing (those plays are for other situations).

Play calling also needs a bigger variety of misdirection and options. And when the run is working stick with it until it gets stopped. Run the plays that might lose yardage on downs where you are not in the red zone close to the goal or in short yardage to get a first down. Stay away from hurryups and gimmicks near the goal. Mason, Mason, Mason and then option when you are out of downs and really need a big play. Try to get Gibbs and Donte in the open field and wear them down with Mason in the middle. Pound, pound, pound and then hit the pass when you have their full attention on the run. Be smart not cute.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
The improvement I want to see in the O play calling is to get the high percentage first downs. I am talking about the 2nd and 3 or 3rd and 2. In those situations we need to run the ball. Too often in those situations we have unsuccessfully passed and the result is a 4th down punt (often in 4th and 12). This has been a two+ year pattern with the play calling. Getting these high percentage first downs needs to be a priority. Short yardage run plays need to be quick and downhill up the middle or off tackle, not slow developing (those plays are for other situations).

Play calling also needs a bigger variety of misdirection and options. And when the run is working stick with it until it gets stopped. Run the plays that might lose yardage on downs where you are not in the red zone close to the goal or in short yardage to get a first down. Stay away from hurryups and gimmicks near the goal. Mason, Mason, Mason and then option when you are out of downs and really need a big play. Try to get Gibbs and Donte in the open field and wear them down with Mason in the middle. Pound, pound, pound and then hit the pass when you have their full attention on the run. Be smart not cute.
I think some short high percentage throws would be a good option for first down plays to start with on Saturday. This should help get a favorable down and distance on 2nd down and also hopefully help get Sims into a rhythm for the rest of the game.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Like defending any good 3O team, take away the dive. Make them work for yards. Play down and distance. When a 3O team controls that, you’re either dead or it will be closer than you like. On offense, just run. Run. Run. Run and setup the pass. Put Sims in a position to be successful - don’t put the game on his back

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
The 30 eats up clock. It's hard for me to judge how good Kennesaw State is since they played Reinhardt last week. If it is a close game during the first half, I think we should go after them with our running attack and slow the game down just to keep the ball away from them.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The 30 eats up clock. It's hard for me to judge how good Kennesaw State is since they played Reinhardt last week. If it is a close game during the first half, I think we should go after them with our running attack and slow the game down just to keep the ball away from them.
I looked at the stats on that game. KSU emptied the bench; everybody played. It looked like they got up early and coasted. But, as was said above, the secret is to stop the dive and for the whole game. If we get into the 4th with the game close and the dive getting 4 yards a play then we will be in a heap of trouble. But … I think we will be able to stop the dive. Hope so anyway.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
After rewatching the game:
We have to get our snaps up. Messed up some play timing and helped cause a fumble.

we have to get back 7 in order. 10 had a rough night, but I’m hoping he’s still getting his legs under him. I will say that it’s a bit concerning because we said the same about BM, as far as taking the wrong gap or getting best in the pass game.

I watched KSU play Reinhardt. Funny enough, they look like us offense wise and moved the ball on KSU in the middle part of the game. If we can block as well as we did in the run game last week, and make it a priority, I think we can move them off the line running right at them. As far as defense, they looked pretty good running, the QB is pretty slick. I would think we will try to put it in his hands though. He didn’t look especially fast, but had a little shake to him. Adequate arm.

Jmonty71

Banned
I think our D line could/should run some stunts in 3rd and long situations. We didn't generate any presser just darting in man on man. Maybe mix it some delayed blitzes, where we don't telegraph what were doing. I think just that would make a huge improvement.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
One of the reasons I have liked this site is hearing the discussions and breakdowns of what actually happened in the game. The issue is right now people are too upset about last weekend (and rightfully so) that all the threads end up being people complaining or arguing about the state of the program so there is very little discussion about Xs and Os anymore. Therefore I decided to start a thread aimed at bringing back constructive discussions about plays and schemes from our games.

The point of this thread is focus on the Xs and Os by discussing the following topics:
1. Specific plays from previous games
2. Impacts of different players in the games
3. Constructive thoughts on schemes we employ
4. Constructive thoughts on coaching decisions in the game (i.e. balance of run/pass, use of time outs, situational play calls, etc.)
5. Gameplans for upcoming games

This thread is intended to be a constructive conversation so to help keep this thread on track (hopefully) please try to follow the rules below:
1. No calling for the firing of any coach
2. No discussions about the programs choices of music, money down, dancing, attire, social media presence, etc.
3. No discussions about the tone or messages from any press conferences or interviews (exceptions for referencing something a coach or player said to clarify a point about a decision or play on the field)
4. No discussions on the competency of any coach or player
5. No bringing up any previous coaching regimes
6. No discussions about the triple option unless referring to plays KSU ran
7. No arguing!
We can blow this team right out of the stadium based on what I saw last week with KSU playing Reinhardt. Crowd the line of scrimmage and tackle the quarterback as he is their best athlete and runner though not the fastest guy. Play man to man on the outside and dare them to throw the ball. But most importantly, score first and put them behind the 8 ball right away. There is NO EXCUSE for this game to be close...triple option notwithstanding.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
After rewatching the game:
We have to get our snaps up. Messed up some play timing and helped cause a fumble.

we have to get back 7 in order. 10 had a rough night, but I’m hoping he’s still getting his legs under him. I will say that it’s a bit concerning because we said the same about BM, as far as taking the wrong gap or getting best in the pass game.

I watched KSU play Reinhardt. Funny enough, they look like us offense wise and moved the ball on KSU in the middle part of the game. If we can block as well as we did in the run game last week, and make it a priority, I think we can move them off the line running right at them. As far as defense, they looked pretty good running, the QB is pretty slick. I would think we will try to put it in his hands though. He didn’t look especially fast, but had a little shake to him. Adequate arm.
He can shake and bake for sure. "Adequate arm" is about right. They are different in some ways from the Paul Johnson triple option scheme but a lot of similarities too. This should be very interesting to watch.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Please do not do what we did against Citadel. If I remember right, defense tried to scheme such that the corners couldn't be blocked (legally).

Man up, know your responsibility, get off your block and make the play.

Oh yeah, and stop the dive. By "stop the dive" I mean keep it to 2 yards or less.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Oh yeah, and stop the dive. By "stop the dive" I mean keep it to 2 yards or less.
I used to get a big kick out of opposing fans looking askance at Tech fans when we had a 3rd and 4 in the fourth quarter and were cheering about it. All the Tech fans knew what was coming, at any rate.

They'll run the dive until we stop it. The answer there is obvious.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
My problem is with the defense trying to sub against up tempo offenses IT just won't work the Offense played fine at times

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if we will take from the Duke playbook and run one of our safeties as a deep middle linebacker. We have some pretty beefy safeties that might succeed in this role and I know it caused us some fits at times.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I rewatched the NIU game. We still lost. Ugh! Anyway, a few thoughts and questions.

We beat or tied them in every team stat, excluding the score. We got into scoring position but went away with no points at least three times (2 missed FGs and turnover on downs from inside the 5).

Our D struggled with NIU’s hurry-up offense. Is this a personnel issue or a coaching issue? Do defenses generally call their own play if they don’t have time to get the call in from the sideline?

Sims looks uncomfortable throwing the ball but very comfortable running. Why not call some high success rate pass plays to build his confidence? He was attempting some tough, long passes…passes that better corners and safeties would’ve picked. Maybe there are easier tosses that he is overlooking.

Our run blocking looks solid on the right side of the line. I would call Gibbs, Mason to the right until the defense proved they could stop it.

Do we have an equipment manager? We need some better cleats. Lots of slipping. Didn’t we know the field conditions before game time?

Special teams is pretty bad…again.

Yates would be my starter.

Sims is a runner, Yates is a passer. It would be interesting to put them both in the backfield at the same time. The D wouldn’t know what to expect.

Terrible play calling on our last offensive drive and defensive stand. Instead of fighting to win we tried not to lose.

Bottom line: NIU had bigger and more talented personnel than I expected. They also seemed hungrier, more prepared, and they executed. We really didn’t play that bad but it appears they put us on our heels and kept us there. We can’t drive down the field and come away empty handed!