Thoughts before I depart

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind the handling of the LaBarrie situation does not fall entirely on the HC. it also falls on the AD and the University President.
I completely agree. In fact, I have no knowledge one way or another what Coach Pastner's role was in all of that. My suspicion is that the Administration had much more to do with it than we know.

It is still a problem for our program, though.

Many, many thanks for your knowledgable contributions to the forum and to GT.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Best wishes for the Christmas season and for getting through this medical trial, Red. We'll pray for you and yours.

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Keep in mind the handling of the LaBarrie situation does not fall entirely on the HC. it also falls on the AD and the University President.
Exactly. Given some of the other serious ethical issues and events that have gone on on the Hill separate and apart from the GTAA, I don't think Bud was in any position to give GTMBB any slack over LaBarrie. There have been SERIOUS ethical issues there that have made the news media. I am convinced that GT HAD to leg DLab go. Tragic but true.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
@RamblinRed

Hey man thanks for all of the insight and content you add to the forums. Best of luck to you and your family. Those kinds of issues can really weigh on you....

GT11

GT Athlete
Exactly. Given some of the other serious ethical issues and events that have gone on on the Hill separate and apart from the GTAA, I don't think Bud was in any position to give GTMBB any slack over LaBarrie. There have been SERIOUS ethical issues there that have made the news media. I am convinced that GT HAD to leg DLab go. Tragic but true.
You sre 100% correct

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been a bit mum lately. I talk some serious crap when we are bad and I feel like I should speak less when we are good. I’m a malcontent, it’s no secret.

Red has been an inspiration to me since I first joined GTSwarm. I always wanted to be as plugged in and level headed as he is. My personality doesn’t always allow this. That said it’s funny how you can seemingly grow relationships with people you have never met in this day and age.

I hope everything works out for B and he is able to share his knowledge and positivity sooner rather than later.

You can’t love GT hoops and not love RamblinRed. Best wishes. ❤️

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
i'm going to be pretty scarce the next few months as I deal with a family medical issue so I wanted to leave a few parting thoughts about the season and the future.

A little surprised but hardly shocked with how the week has gone so far. I sort of expect to see that for most of this season.

First, its basketball - the difference between winning and losing is very slim for most teams.

Second, the dreaded post-finals game. I talked to both Hewitt and Cremins about the post-finals game and for both of them it was one of their least favorite games of the year. The kids have not practiced much as they usually get off completely until around Thursday to concentrate on finals. Then they tend to be down in energy (tired) level and focus for a few days. So what you get is a game like GW where they look low on effort and not in the game - it was easily the worst game they played this year so far. Hewitt and Cremins always told me they simply hoped to get a win that game, didn't care if it was by one point.

Third, the team makeup. Last night GT played FR and SO over 60% of the min and when you add in Banks almost 90% of the min went to non-SR. That is going to create alot of uneven play game to game. They also are in the situation that with Banks getting eligibility they had to incorporate him into the lineup and it is also causing them to adjust the offense and rely less on shooting threes. On the season now FR and SO are playing 59% of min and non-SR 80% of min. This is a really young team that is getting younger as the min are adjusted.

While Devoe had a good overall game last night, he is still not playing half as well as he is capable of.
it is also hurting the Cole is not ready to play. He looked good in the pre-season and then like last year he is hurt.
Moses is a limited player so the staff needs to try to accentuate his positives and hide the negatives. He is a poor shooter, but a solid defensive player.
I felt Jose needed to be our leading scorer this year so I am happy to see the team's offense starting to get to where he can be that.
Love what I am seeing out of Moore. His spring film last year had me excited. His development from the fall of his Sr year to the spring was very noticeable, especially on offense where he looked like he was developing into a solid shooter.
Phillips had been a huge disappointment to this point, hopefully at some point he will settle in and at least give us what he gave TN - which was about 6 ppg, 37% three and killer defense.

This year is going to be a roller coaster. My goal for this team was have a record that is over .500. Do that and i'm satisfied. There are going to be more WTF losses and more WTF wins. Don't overreact to a single data point. This team is still not shooting close to what it is capable of from outside. Jose, Shembari, Devoe and to a lesser extent Curtis are all shooting well below what they shot last year from 3.

Pastner is going to be here through year 5, unless this program really tanks next season which I do not expect. His contract was set up to make sure he would be allowed to get his first recruiting class (the current So) to their Sr year.
I was in the hell no category when he was being hired (actually sent emails to the board asking them not to hire him), but I am not disappointed with what he has done so far.
Here was my 5 year expectations after he was hired.
Yr 1 - 8-10 wins (21 wins and NIT was a huge overperformance)
Yr 2 - 13-15 wins (13 wins just hit the low end but with all the issues last year probably expected)
Yr 3 - 16-18 wins (we'll see if this team can get to 16, will probably be close)
Yr 4 - 18-20 wins and bubble NCAA
Yr 5 - 20+ wins and solid NCAA team.

Keep supporting the program, hope it continues to gel and improve as the season goes on.
Good luck and god speed!

msargent1

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of what I read on here falls into the category of emotion/venting ... so I always look for to your posts RR! Very thoughtful, and you go the extra mile in quantifying your points, which is appealing to Tech grads. Good luck with your situation and we look forward to your return! Take care buddy!!!

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
i'm going to be pretty scarce the next few months as I deal with a family medical issue so I wanted to leave a few parting thoughts about the season and the future.

A little surprised but hardly shocked with how the week has gone so far. I sort of expect to see that for most of this season.

First, its basketball - the difference between winning and losing is very slim for most teams.

Second, the dreaded post-finals game. I talked to both Hewitt and Cremins about the post-finals game and for both of them it was one of their least favorite games of the year. The kids have not practiced much as they usually get off completely until around Thursday to concentrate on finals. Then they tend to be down in energy (tired) level and focus for a few days. So what you get is a game like GW where they look low on effort and not in the game - it was easily the worst game they played this year so far. Hewitt and Cremins always told me they simply hoped to get a win that game, didn't care if it was by one point.

Third, the team makeup. Last night GT played FR and SO over 60% of the min and when you add in Banks almost 90% of the min went to non-SR. That is going to create alot of uneven play game to game. They also are in the situation that with Banks getting eligibility they had to incorporate him into the lineup and it is also causing them to adjust the offense and rely less on shooting threes. On the season now FR and SO are playing 59% of min and non-SR 80% of min. This is a really young team that is getting younger as the min are adjusted.

While Devoe had a good overall game last night, he is still not playing half as well as he is capable of.
it is also hurting the Cole is not ready to play. He looked good in the pre-season and then like last year he is hurt.
Moses is a limited player so the staff needs to try to accentuate his positives and hide the negatives. He is a poor shooter, but a solid defensive player.
I felt Jose needed to be our leading scorer this year so I am happy to see the team's offense starting to get to where he can be that.
Love what I am seeing out of Moore. His spring film last year had me excited. His development from the fall of his Sr year to the spring was very noticeable, especially on offense where he looked like he was developing into a solid shooter.
Phillips had been a huge disappointment to this point, hopefully at some point he will settle in and at least give us what he gave TN - which was about 6 ppg, 37% three and killer defense.

This year is going to be a roller coaster. My goal for this team was have a record that is over .500. Do that and i'm satisfied. There are going to be more WTF losses and more WTF wins. Don't overreact to a single data point. This team is still not shooting close to what it is capable of from outside. Jose, Shembari, Devoe and to a lesser extent Curtis are all shooting well below what they shot last year from 3.

Pastner is going to be here through year 5, unless this program really tanks next season which I do not expect. His contract was set up to make sure he would be allowed to get his first recruiting class (the current So) to their Sr year.
I was in the hell no category when he was being hired (actually sent emails to the board asking them not to hire him), but I am not disappointed with what he has done so far.
Here was my 5 year expectations after he was hired.
Yr 1 - 8-10 wins (21 wins and NIT was a huge overperformance)
Yr 2 - 13-15 wins (13 wins just hit the low end but with all the issues last year probably expected)
Yr 3 - 16-18 wins (we'll see if this team can get to 16, will probably be close)
Yr 4 - 18-20 wins and bubble NCAA
Yr 5 - 20+ wins and solid NCAA team.

Keep supporting the program, hope it continues to gel and improve as the season goes on.

Excellent evaluation. I have been frustrated at times watching this team but we know it will be a roller coaster. I am really disappointed with the attendance at games. CJP has stated on many occasions the importance of fan support at the games. We can help this team by putting fans in the stands. I have purchased tickets for only three games but I live 200 miles away. I want to encourage all fans in the Atlanta area to get to the games and make the dome rock. It will make a difference!