Thought and prayers for Mike Leach

JacketEagle98

Georgia Tech Fan
I got a free ticket to the 2002 tangerine bowl between Texas Tech and Clemson. Mike Leach was coaching TT. My buddy was a big practical joker, so when he said he knew Mike Leach and was going to see if we could meet up with him the night before the game, I just knew he was trying to trick me. Anyway, my buddy gets on the phone with Mike to set up a time for us to swing by the hotel were TT is staying (I’m telling him I’m not buying into this bull). We drive up to the hotel about 8:30 pm and here comes Mike Leach out to meet us. We stood out in front of the hotel and talked with him for about an hour. Even though I’m sure he had more important things on his mind, he told us stories and chatted with us like we were old friends. He was a great guy and I know anyone who had a chance to talk with him will always remember it. BTW, TT beat Clemson 55-15 in that game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I got a free ticket to the 2002 tangerine bowl between Texas Tech and Clemson. Mike Leach was coaching TT. My buddy was a big practical joker, so when he said he knew Mike Leach and was going to see if we could meet up with him the night before the game, I just knew he was trying to trick me. Anyway, my buddy gets on the phone with Mike to set up a time for us to swing by the hotel were TT is staying (I’m telling him I’m not buying into this bull). We drive up to the hotel about 8:30 pm and here comes Mike Leach out to meet us. We stood out in front of the hotel and talked with him for about an hour. Even though I’m sure he had more important things on his mind, he told us stories and chatted with us like we were old friends. He was a great guy and I know anyone who had a chance to talk with him will always remember it. BTW, TT beat Clemson 55-15 in that game.

After reading various stories on Twitter about Leach, evidently Leach had a habit of picking up the phone regardless if he recognized the number or not and would just chat with whoever called if Leach found that person interesting.

Also, this is why the guy is one of a kind:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've always wanted CPJ and Leach to do a weekly podcast and have a schematic Flex Option/Air Raid kid together. The fact that Leach left this world before that happened is all of our losses:

Here's the referenced game:

Coach Leach is right, of course, and I'm a bit ashamed that I didn't see this first. It is a matter of distribution and getting all the skill players involved from sideline to sideline. Both Os had this in spades and still do. I sure do hope that Tech gets back to this, one way or the other. Update: notice that both TT and Navy have very wide OL splits. The reason: both teams depend on very quick hitting plays. Notice that both OLs are lean, mean fighting machines.

Btw, the play-by-play guy in the game was my man Jeff Hullinger. A great sports announcer. Btw, I wonder if anybody here heard and misses the great radio comedy routines that Hullinger used to do with Chris Rude. Hullinger's basement figured largely in these.