Those at the game your thoughts on the good crowd?

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought the crowd was fairly energetic and was quite sizable for a game against an opponent like Alcorn St. The most glaring issue with attendance (and this is every game I attend) are the empty gold seats around the 50 yard line on the lower east stands. That simply cannot continue if we are going to be taken seriously as a fan base.

Last edited:

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
People started trickling out after halftime. By the end of the 4th the stadium was probably half full. I'm sure it'll be better once we start playing more serious opponents.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The four guys next to me did not attend GT but said they wanted to see Jackets play, One even went to uga. If you build it they will come. If we are 3 and 0 after Notre Shame I'm calling standing room only

Typically a lot of the fans came in at the last minute. Lots of scattered empty seats in the N Stands. More than half the crowd left early (the 4 th Q was dull). There were lots of empty seats in the gold chairs in the lower East Stands. People were on good behavior. Sold tickets may have been 49,000 but attendance was less. Lots of gray beards in the crowd.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I cannot stand the empty corner every game under the screen. Isn't that where the other sports student athletes are suppose to sit?

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I wish they would put the camera facing the tech bench. I know it doesn't matter once the play is going, but it would nice to see full stands instead of a lot of empty gold seats.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
This was a good crowd considering the opponent. Obviously, the carryover from a good season and an Orange Bowl championship had a little more energy in the place. It was fun.

I think the empty Gold seats are atrocious. That said, if you forced me to choose (and cosmically, you wouldn't)--I'll take empty Gold seats compared with putting them on Stub Hub and having the opposing team's fans in them. Read: Fla State and UGA games especially.

When that has happened, that never goes well.

jackette

Jolly Good Fellow
I cannot stand the empty corner every game under the screen. Isn't that where the other sports student athletes are suppose to sit?
If you sat under the scre e n or anywhere left of it you'd have your ears blown out by the 200plus alcorn band. I sat in sec 132 it was extremely loud although I thought they were very good band

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm not a "gray beard" but I do have gray hair. @SavhGTMom & I had a ball in the North stands and the crowd was good. We would have stayed until the end but someone was worried about walking back to our hotel so late. From where we were the stands looked good (for a Thursday night) but those empty gold seats were a shame.

We enjoyed meeting @CuseJacket, @OldJacketFan, & @awbuzz and look forward to meeting other GTSwarm members at future events.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The Mrs. and I are in the New Alumni section.

I was unaware "New Alumni" meant getting smacked in the back all game and almost completely surrounded by little kids.

I thought the crowd was fairly energetic and was quite sizable for a game against an opponent like Alcorn St. The most glaring issue with attendance (and this is every game I attend) are the empty gold seats around the 50 yard line on the lower east stands. That simply cannot continue if we are going to be taken seriously as a fan base.
Those are Club seats. Do you think they all just hang out in the lounge the entire game? I know the one time I sat down there a couple of years ago, there was a mob in the lounge and apparently couldn't care less about the game. We need their money, but we need them in their seats making noise more.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I have attended the last several home openers and other FCS games in the last few years and expected the corners of the Lower West (111) to be somewhat sparse. Especially in the upper part where my seats are. I got the free tickets in the Upper North that were offered to Season Ticket holders and gave then to some friends thinking that they could probably just sit with us. Bad news / good news: something came up at the last minute and they could not come / there really was no room anywhere near us - I thought we would have to go to the upper deck to be able to sit together.

Met a nice couple that sits behind us - he graduated in 1951. I want to still be that enthusiastic about GT football when I am his age.

If good things happen this season Grant Field will be off the chain in November.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I have attended the last several home openers and other FCS games in the last few years and expected the corners of the Lower West (111) to be somewhat sparse. Especially in the upper part where my seats are. I got the free tickets in the Upper North that were offered to Season Ticket holders and gave then to some friends thinking that they could probably just sit with us. Bad news / good news: something came up at the last minute and they could not come / there really was no room anywhere near us - I thought we would have to go to the upper deck to be able to sit together.

Met a nice couple that sits behind us - he graduated in 1951. I want to still be that enthusiastic about GT football when I am his age.

If good things happen this season Grant Field will be off the chain in November.
I'm in 111. Will have to come find you one game

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
On the empty club seats I think the comments that those ticket holders are overwhelmingly hanging in the club drinking and staying cool in the shade is the issue. So what looks like an empty seat is kind of a mirage, so far as the money and fandom goes. The real issue is that the design of the stadium and where the cameras are going to broadcast the game is such that it puts out a bad image. This is a long-term issue that I hope a far-seeing AD one day remedies. If Tech had 30,000 students then I would just say start bussing all the students into that area maybe 6 minutes after kickoff to take any seats the rich alcoholics are leaving abandoned.

Since it isn't like there are thousands of students denied access to the games then it can only be fixed by a restructuring of the seating arrangements and club access, possibly even switching it to the other side of the stadium. Or one immediate remedy they could try is to let those ticket holders drink in their seats.

On the empty club seats I think the comments that those ticket holders are overwhelmingly hanging in the club drinking and staying cool in the shade is the issue. So what looks like an empty seat is kind of a mirage, so far as the money and fandom goes. The real issue is that the design of the stadium and where the cameras are going to broadcast the game is such that it puts out a bad image. This is a long-term issue that I hope a far-seeing AD one day remedies. If Tech had 30,000 students then I would just say start bussing all the students into that area maybe 6 minutes after kickoff to take any seats the rich alcoholics are leaving abandoned.

Since it isn't like there are thousands of students denied access to the games then it can only be fixed by a restructuring of the seating arrangements and club access, possibly even switching it to the other side of the stadium. Or one immediate remedy they could try is to let those ticket holders drink in their seats.
They should shut down the bar during the game.....and turn off all the TV sets in there.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Was impressed with the crowd, especially on the West side.

Understand that those who left after the 3rd quarter got to stand and wait to cross the highway if they were headed east to Marta or get their car. VP Joe Biden's motorcade apparently closed the brides for around 20 minutes.

Animal02

Banned
Was impressed with the crowd, especially on the West side.

Understand that those who left after the 3rd quarter got to stand and wait to cross the highway if they were headed east to Marta or get their car. VP Joe Biden's motorcade apparently closed the brides for around 20 minutes.
The north stands looked more filled than the upper east from a TV perspective.