Thomas O'Reily update

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
CPJ noted yesterday at the kickoff luncheon yesterday that center is the best position for O'Reily and commented how he has been playing good lately.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
CPJ noted yesterday at the kickoff luncheon yesterday that center is the best position for O'Reily and commented how he has been playing good lately.
Good to hear some positive on O'Reily. But, I don't really understand that. If center is one of the toughest and most important positions on the OL, it seems like if you were good at that one, you'd certainly be good at the other ones. Well, let me temper that a little bit. OT's need to be very mobile and block well in space. OG's need to be road graders. I would think C would be more like an OG than OT, but maybe I'm off. If Beno is our starting OT and backup C, that doesn't support my thoughts. Maybe C is kind of a hybrid between the two. I do remember that Jay Finch was our primary backup at OG and C before he became our starting center, so he was good at both of those.

Either way, it's nice to hear that a guy we may need in there is doing well enough to get a compliment from CPJ at that position.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I remember reading somewhere a while back that they start all linemen at center and then move them outward from there. That would make sense if center was the most difficult position. It's interesting that O'Rielly seems to be taking to center, the hardest position to learn, when he seemed to struggle further out. Maybe it was just conditioning. Good luck to him.