This will fire your *** up!

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
ATLANTA — Paul Johnson had already been at Navy for four years when he placed a call to Roger Inman, his old do-everything man from Georgia Southern. They had known each other since their early 20s when Johnson was starting his long climb up the coaching ladder and Inman was doing whatever the program needed from driving buses to selling tickets, from looking after the equipment to even patching up injured players.

So when Johnson called in 2006 — by then, more successful and wealthier than ever — ranting and raving about how Georgia Southern's first-year coach Brian VanGorder was trying to undo the triple option offense that had lifted the program to prominence, Inman knew it had wounded Johnson's football soul.

"VanGorder had made some comments that he didn't think too highly of the offense, and Paul called me up and said, 'I need to talk to (athletics director) Sam (Baker) and get Georgia Southern on the schedule,'" Inman said. "I said, 'Why do you want to play us?' And he said, 'Because I want to beat the hell out of Brian VanGorder.' "

www.usatoday.com/story/sports/...hnson/19853357/

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
"VanGorder had made some comments that he didn't think too highly of the offense, and Paul called me up and said, 'I need to talk to (athletics director) Sam (Baker) and get Georgia Southern on the schedule,'" Inman said. "I said, 'Why do you want to play us?' And he said, 'Because I want to beat the hell out of Brian VanGorder.' "

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This part really stuck out to me:

Defensively, his teams have been up and down, and the fact that Georgia Tech is 10th in turnover margin with 27 takeaways this season has a lot to do with why they got out of the 7-5 rut and finished 10-2, Johnson's best season since winning the ACC championship in 2009.

We finally have a D to go with the O.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Nice article, thanks for posting. There is a quote in there about dust-up with reporter at ACC media days. I may have been aware at time, but can anyone shed light on that?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Great article. There's a lot of good quotes in there.

"When I listened to commentators on TV or fans at Georgia Tech, I'm amazed at how they continue to question what a great coach they have. To me it's laughable," said Tracy Ham, Johnson's first big-time option quarterback as offensive coordinator at Georgia Southern, who is now an assistant athletic director at the school.

Declinometer

Banned
What fired me up was Paul called Ga Southern begging to be put on his schedule at Navy because Vangorder, the new GSU coach, said the triple option was not a good offense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Outside of highlights from ESPN, I really haven't followed ND this season. From the outside, it looks like they're really not that good of a team. They will lose their starting QB, Everett Gholson.

Like someone said earlier, if VanGorder doesn't leave ND, CPJ will get his shot. I'm also certain CPJ has a score to settle with Brian Kelley after the whole Stephon Tuitt thing.

Payback is a b...