This weekend vs the playoff

Animal02

Banned
Just speculating how this weekend could really throw a wrench into the playoff selection with a dose of reality...(based on the AP poll)

1. Bama loses to Mizzou (11-2)
2 FSU loses to GT (11-1)
3 Oregon loses to Arizona (11-2)
4 TCU likely to win against Iowa St (11-1 )......... but you never know
5 Baylor loses to KSU (10-2)
6 OSU loses to Wisc. (11-2)
7 Mich State - done at (9-2) did not win their division
8 Arizona -beats Oregon (11-2) Conference Champ
9 KSU beats Baylor (10-2)
10 Miss State done at (9-2) did not win their division
11 Wisconsin beats OSU (11-2) Conference Champ
12 GT beats FSU (11-2) Conference Champ
13 Ole Miss done at (9-3) did not win their division
14 Mizzou beats Bama (11-2) Conference Champ

How much should the Conference Championship count?
Can teams that did not even win their Division stay ahead of Conference Champs with the same number of loses?
Should a one loss FSU go ahead of 2 loss Tech after just losing to them?

If this were to play out.....I could see TCU, Arizona as 2 teams..... but does the B12 get a 2nd team over Conference Champs with the same number of loses? Wisconsin get the nod......then there is the fourth team...can't see Tech making that big of a jump but an argument could be made. Mizzou seems unlikely with the bad loses. This could be a real cluster if it happened.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
According to the College Football Playoff Committee, this is the criteria they are using to rank the teams:

"The selection committee will choose the four teams for the playoff based on strength of schedule, head-to-head results, comparison of results against common opponents, championships won and other factors."

Based on what I'm reading, Conference Championships are definately one of the main factors, as is common opponents results, and strength-of-schedules. If they are true to their word, the Conference Champions would be Missouri, GA Tech, Arizona, Baylor/TCU, and Wisconsin. Looking at strength-of-schedules, Baylor/TCU and Wisconsin have much easier ones than Missouri, GA Tech, and Arizona. If a "head-to-head" approach were needed, the only thing I could think of is that should really help is that GA Tech beat Georgia, which beat Missouri, which would, obviously be, the SEC Champion and another team vying for a spot in the Top 4.

I would think if the Top 6 teams lost, then Arizona would definately get in, and either TCU or Baylor, but not both, and I also think GA Tech gets in along with Wisconsin or Kansas State. Just my opinion. Now if that happened, and it screwed up the TV ratings that badly, I would be pretty sure the Conferences (SEC) and ESPN, etc. would immediately petition to go to an 8 team Playoff.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
If all that happened, your playoff teams would be Arizona, Bama, KSU, and Wisconsin.

Bama shouldn't go in if they don't win the SEC and have 2 losses according to the criteria set forth by the Committee, and I don't think they would, and neither do virtually all of the talking heads, they think the SEC will be shut out.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I say it would be TCU, Arizona,Wisconsin,GT if all that happened. TCU would be undisputed Big 12 champ if Kstate wins against Baylor.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
According to the College Football Playoff Committee, this is the criteria they are using to rank the teams:

"The selection committee will choose the four teams for the playoff based on strength of schedule, head-to-head results, comparison of results against common opponents, championships won and other factors."

Based on what I'm reading, Conference Championships are definately one of the main factors, as is common opponents results, and strength-of-schedules. If they are true to their word, the Conference Champions would be Missouri, GA Tech, Arizona, Baylor/TCU, and Wisconsin. Looking at strength-of-schedules, Baylor/TCU and Wisconsin have much easier ones than Missouri, GA Tech, and Arizona. If a "head-to-head" approach were needed, the only thing I could think of is that should really help is that GA Tech beat Georgia, which beat Missouri, which would, obviously be, the SEC Champion and another team vying for a spot in the Top 4.

I would think if the Top 6 teams lost, then Arizona would definately get in, and either TCU or Baylor, but not both, and I also think GA Tech gets in along with Wisconsin or Kansas State. Just my opinion. Now if that happened, and it screwed up the TV ratings that badly, I would be pretty sure the Conferences (SEC) and ESPN, etc. would immediately petition to go to an 8 team Playoff.
If Baylor and TCU both lose, Kansas State wins the BIG12.

Animal02

Banned

I would love to see the "playoff" blow up in everybody's faces......and Tech being a part of the "blowing up" :ROFLMAO:

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
This question was asked by Luginbill to the round table today: What would happen if the top 6 got beat this weekend? They all agreed that GT, Baylor, Arizona, and Whisky would get in. Missou would get left out. According to the "experts".

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm softening on this issue in light of the reaction of so many to the ACC sweep of the SEC EAST. If Mizzou beats Bama, then there's a pretty good case of SEC E being better than SEC W. Then, the ACC sweep looks better for ACC over SEC making our champ more attractive.

Animal02

Banned
This question was asked by Luginbill to the round table today: What would happen if the top 6 got beat this weekend? They all agreed that GT, Baylor, Arizona, and Whisky would get in. Missou would get left out. According to the "experts".

How would Baylor get in if they lose this weekend? (I think they have a greater chance of losing than TCU.)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Just speculating how this weekend could really throw a wrench into the playoff selection with a dose of reality...(based on the AP poll)

1. Bama loses to Mizzou (11-2)
2 FSU loses to GT (11-1)
3 Oregon loses to Arizona (11-2)
4 TCU likely to win against Iowa St (11-1 )......... but you never know
5 Baylor loses to KSU (10-2)
6 OSU loses to Wisc. (11-2)
7 Mich State - done at (9-2) did not win their division
8 Arizona -beats Oregon (11-2) Conference Champ
9 KSU beats Baylor (10-2)
10 Miss State done at (9-2) did not win their division
11 Wisconsin beats OSU (11-2) Conference Champ
12 GT beats FSU (11-2) Conference Champ
13 Ole Miss done at (9-3) did not win their division
14 Mizzou beats Bama (11-2) Conference Champ

How much should the Conference Championship count?
Can teams that did not even win their Division stay ahead of Conference Champs with the same number of loses?
Should a one loss FSU go ahead of 2 loss Tech after just losing to them?

If this were to play out.....I could see TCU, Arizona as 2 teams..... but does the B12 get a 2nd team over Conference Champs with the same number of loses? Wisconsin get the nod......then there is the fourth team...can't see Tech making that big of a jump but an argument could be made. Mizzou seems unlikely with the bad loses. This could be a real cluster if it happened.
We would probably be better off with Arizona losing to Oregon. A Pac-12 team will be there anyways, and Arizona would fall behind us with a third loss.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That's a bracket I would feel pretty good about.

Animal02

Banned
We would probably be better off with Arizona losing to Oregon. A Pac-12 team will be there anyways, and Arizona would fall behind us with a third loss.

My curiosity on this is not as much "what will help Tech more" because I do not think that whatever happens will get Tech in the final 4........it was more about if there is a large cluster of 2 loss teams.......some conference champions, some not, and some not even division champs......how this stupid committee will come up with the 4 teams and not look foolish.
If in the old BCS, if Bama, FSU, Oregon, Baylor and OSU lost this weekend.....a TCU / Ariz match in a BCS game would probably be acceptable......but now with the 4 team play off......it gets pretty silly to say Tech and Wisc. as 2 loss conference champs get shut out in favor of 2 loss teams that didn't even win their division.

thwgjacket

If favorites win (Wisconsin is favorite), KSU beats Baylor and we beat FSU then it becomes KSU vs GT for the 4th spot. KSU would be 10-2 and have 1 win over a current Top 25 team. We would be 11-2 with a 3 consecutive wins over Top 25 teams. We would be conference champs, they would not. They would take us over KSU at 4. So we need 2 upsets, one of which we control.
IF, big IF, we beat FSU our resume would be very good. 11-2 with 3 consecutive wins over Top 20 teams, one each at home, on road and neutral field. Played 10 bowl eligible teams. One "good" loss to Duke. One "meh" loss to UNC, both very close. 11 points from being undefeated. Conference Champion. It's not as far fetched as it seems because our resume would be really good.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
There's a difference between should and will. Ranking undefeated FSU at #4, and GT out of the top 10 discloses the committee's view of the ACC.

imo, besides our game, the most important is Mizzou over Bama. If SEC E, swept by ACC, beats SEC W, then off season brow beating might change perception.