This stat is....wow

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@SportSourceA: Georgia Tech is going "3 & Out" on 6.4% of offensive possessions and 7.7% on defensive possessions. Best and worst in nation. #CFB

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
That is an amazing stat.

Anyone here remember the Joe Hamilton years? There has been a lot of talk about Justin's potential but this year has seriously made me relive a lot of what was going on with the games during Joe's career. I really hope that the defense for the totality of Thomas's career here does not continue to remind us of the defensive performances of Joe's years.

For the younger crowd that doesn't know more than the basics of Hamilton's years, the game yesterday was very reminiscent of the sort of games Tech played back then.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Imagine if we had merely a bad defense.
That is the exact sentiment Tech fans mulled over on Hamilton's behalf for those years. It is very hard to get everything to come together for any particular special season or a string of years at Tech.

But when I step back and look around at other programs it is still so much better to be a Tech fan. A program that really cares and makes an effort to do it the "right way." And every now and again things coalesce just right and 1990 happens. When I step back and review things overall I have to laugh and be amused at the way so many programs have nothing like the issues of academic or ethical integrity as Tech and yet consistently underachieve. Our teams are almost always, or at least consistently, straining at over-achievement.

LibertyTurns

Banned
That is an amazing stat.

Anyone here remember the Joe Hamilton years? There has been a lot of talk about Justin's potential but this year has seriously made me relive a lot of what was going on with the games during Joe's career. I really hope that the defense for the totality of Thomas's career here does not continue to remind us of the defensive performances of Joe's years.

For the younger crowd that doesn't know more than the basics of Hamilton's years, the game yesterday was very reminiscent of the sort of games Tech played back then.
Tech fans have short memories. Lil' Joe and Fridge put up huge numbers but the defenses were atrocious.

For some reason, Tech fans think we've always been Top 10 and just recently have stumbled. Crap, I vividly remember Curry's 2 yds and a cloud of dust offense. Up the middle, up the middle, up the middle, punt.

Lastly, where's all the Stanford crowd? Furd had a good run but things on The Farm are not so rosy this morning.Hard to sustain success there as well as GT, although they have the advantage of playing fast & losse with the rules as they're a private school and only have to disclose what they want because there's no FOIA for them to get called out on.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Lastly, where's all the Stanford crowd? Furd had a good run but things on The Farm are not so rosy this morning.Hard to sustain success there as well as GT, although they have the advantage of playing fast & losse with the rules as they're a private school and only have to disclose what they want because there's no FOIA for them to get called out on.

Licking their wounds. Nobody wanted to hear it when you said they lucked into an outstanding coach and QB at the same time. It was all about the school. It was only a matter of time before they came back to earth.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Tech fans have short memories. Lil' Joe and Fridge put up huge numbers but the defenses were atrocious.

For some reason, Tech fans think we've always been Top 10 and just recently have stumbled. Crap, I vividly remember Curry's 2 yds and a cloud of dust offense. Up the middle, up the middle, up the middle, punt.

Right. I think that the younger posters here do recall the Gailey years pretty vividly and so remember a far more consistently decent to good defense (even great at times) under Tenuta. My point about the longer view is that this is "one of those cycles" that can happen at Tech. More often than not Tech teams have had seasons where there is a small margin for error and one unit clearly keeps the entire team afloat in games far more than the other unit.

If you do a close review of just the season W/L records with the final scores and look at the extent to which the outcome of very close games (say 7 points or less) determined overall whether Tech had a "great," "good," "average," "mediocre," or "bad" season I suspect it would be pretty compelling.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
@SportSourceA: Georgia Tech is going "3 & Out" on 6.4% of offensive possessions and 7.7% on defensive possessions. Best and worst in nation. #CFB

It's time to revisit the notion that our offense and defense are separate unrelated entities. I think it's entirely possible that our style of offense causes our defense to be exceptionally bad. I know, Johnson claims the 1st string defense doesn't practice against the triple option. They practice against a scout team simulating more traditional offenses. But when players come to Tech, they're most likely going to begin on the scout team. They will then practice against the first string offense. They never get that base foundation laid down on defending top-notch traditional offenses.

Another possibility is that our players across the board are exceptionally poor quality in terms of talent. However, the schematic advantage on offense causes the offense to actually be competitive with ACC teams. However, the defense doesn't have a schematic advantage, since there is not really anything resembling the uniqueness of the triple option for the defense. So, the lack of talent on defense gets exposed.