This is...and will be a weird year for college football

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
And they still control their own destiny to win the championship this year, just as UGA does and will if they lose one game, just as I said. Maybe follow your own advice and read what I said lol
Eh... if the one game they lose is kentucky not necessarily. Kentucky beating them possibly locks UGA out of the SEC and depending on how cincy and the big 10 shakes out they may not allow another non championship game participant to make it into the playoffs like they did Bama that one year because no one is viewed like bama is

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Eh... if the one game they lose is kentucky not necessarily. Kentucky beating them possibly locks UGA out of the SEC and depending on how cincy and the big 10 shakes out they may not allow another non championship game participant to make it into the playoffs like they did Bama that one year because no one is viewed like bama is
Just my take on it, but the chances of Kentucky winning this weekend are maybe 1-in-30. Florida might have about a 1-in-10 chance of knocking them off. If they get to the SEC title game unscathed, they're in the playoffs unless Alabama annihilates them, which ain't going to happen.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Stoops could potentially out coach Kirby…but I just think Georgia’s D and the crowd will carry them through. I also don’t see Florida winning because the only reason they pulled out last year was because Trask was absolutely on fire. That QB they have this year is tentative AF and I expect to be intimidated by UGA.

We don’t have the beef in either trenches to hang. Who else has a shot?

They have an 80% chance to be in the playoffs. It’s who they play there that matters.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You guys believing UGA is in the playoff if they lose the SECCG with only loss aren’t paying attention to the current vibes. It’s gonna be real hard for the committee to put in 2 SEC teams. The old school is still trying to convince us that conference champions should mean something. So if at the end of the day it’s a 1 loss Bama (SEC Champ), a 1 loss BIG Champ or undefeated BIg Champ, a 1 loss Big 12 Champ (OU), and then some other undefeated teams like Cincy, and a 1 loss UGA who didn’t win their conference - that’s gonna be a hard sell in this environment of the SEC being the big bully. And if they do get 2 teams in then the Alliance is over before it even started because the committee would be giving them the finger by taking 2 SEC teams.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You guys believing UGA is in the playoff if they lose the SECCG with only loss aren’t paying attention to the current vibes. It’s gonna be real hard for the committee to put in 2 SEC teams. The old school is still trying to convince us that conference champions should mean something. So if at the end of the day it’s a 1 loss Bama (SEC Champ), a 1 loss BIG Champ or undefeated BIg Champ, a 1 loss Big 12 Champ (OU), and then some other undefeated teams like Cincy, and a 1 loss UGA who didn’t win their conference - that’s gonna be a hard sell in this environment of the SEC being the big bully. And if they do get 2 teams in then the Alliance is over before it even started because the committee would be giving them the finger by taking 2 SEC teams.
There is 1 scenario where both teams don’t get in if 1 loss Alabama beats undefeated Georgia in the SECCG:
  • Undefeated Michigan/Michigan State play undefeated Iowa in the B1GCG; or 1 loss Ohio State beats undefeated Iowa in the B1GCG, and 1 loss Oregon wins the PAC12 CG
  • Undefeated Oklahoma/Oklahoma State plays and wins against the other who has only 1 loss in the Big12 CG
  • Cincinnati finishes the year undefeated, and Notre Dame finishes with their only loss to Cincinnati
  • Wake Forest doesn’t go undefeated and win the ACCCG
If all of those things happen then Georgia won’t get in if they lose the SECCG, but if any single 1 of those things don’t happen then they’re both getting in.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hard not to engage in hand wringing over uga. Can you imagine how their already insufferable fan base would act if they won a national championship!

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If the committee gives a huge middle finger to a P4 conference in such a public manner, it hurts the image of legitimacy that the playoffs need desperately in order to get the viewership they do. If it turns into an obviously rigged joke, viewers will start treating the playoffs like any other bowl game. Frankly, all this drama is making me realize that college football is better with more ambiguity about National Champions. The ACC is way more fun to watch this year than it’s been in a long time because I have no idea who’s going to win each division, much less the conference. When the playoffs don’t matter, every team matters, even the ones who have already lost a game or two.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I hope 'Bama can knock them off, and I hope you're right.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Stoops could potentially out coach Kirby…but I just think Georgia’s D and the crowd will carry them through. I also don’t see Florida winning because the only reason they pulled out last year was because Trask was absolutely on fire. That QB they have this year is tentative AF and I expect to be intimidated by UGA.

We don’t have the beef in either trenches to hang. Who else has a shot?

They have an 80% chance to be in the playoffs. It’s who they play there that matters.
UF may have hope in that they have a lot of tape to find a weakness (if it exists) in the u[sic]ga defense.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
UF may have hope in that they have a lot of tape to find a weakness (if it exists) in the u[sic]ga defense.
I mean I think one thing to consider is that georgia hasn't really played a team with that great of an offense yet. Arkansas was probably the best and they blew them out. Problem is...they may not play one until they get to Alabama. I'm not really sold on Kentucky or Florida being all that great, but I guess we will see.

One thing to keep in mind - upsets happen all the time...they've only got to lose one before SECCG for Alabama to be primed to kick them out!

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If the committee gives a huge middle finger to a P4 conference in such a public manner, it hurts the image of legitimacy that the playoffs need desperately in order to get the viewership they do. If it turns into an obviously rigged joke, viewers will start treating the playoffs like any other bowl game. Frankly, all this drama is making me realize that college football is better with more ambiguity about National Champions. The ACC is way more fun to watch this year than it’s been in a long time because I have no idea who’s going to win each division, much less the conference. When the playoffs don’t matter, every team matters, even the ones who have already lost a game or two.
The playoffs have no legitimacy now because only 4 teams make it and we have 5 conferences with other good teams outside those 5 like Coastal, UCF, ND, and Cincy. The only legitimate playoff is an expanded version. But college football has never been about legitimacy. It’s always been about money. For decades the bowls controlled the money and they let journalism majors pick the national champs. Now TV controls the money and we let committees pick the national champion. I agree that chaos is fun like we see in the ACC ever since FSU’s domination ended. Clemson had a nice run lately though. Eventually they’ll expand it enough where the national champ will be legitimate and every team has a fair shake. In the meantime, we’ll continue to let pre-season polls be the barometer to start from and a closed door committee determine their version of legitimacy at the end. It’s no bueno. But if UGA gets left out because of politics of the SEC I’ll be laughing my backside off.