Votes: 18 23.7%
  • High School

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Key birthed O'Leary & CPJ's baby

Votes: 58 76.3%

• Total voters

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I keep hearing that our OL manhandled their DL. We did well running the ball, but I don’t think I would go that far. If we manhandled their DL, then what in the world would you call what they did to ours?
We did manhandle their DL. 5 of the 6 players who had at least 1 rushing attempt averaged 4.5 YPC or greater. The only one who didn’t was Haynes King, and that’s because sacks count against rushing yards. He did run in 2 TDs though, so that makes up for it. Watch the video, our OL dominated the game.

They also manhandled our DL, and nobody expected anything different or has suggested otherwise. The 2 issues are not related. We’ve known we’ve had a weak defense, especially run defense, all year. Giving credit where credit is due to our OL and offense does not mean our defense wasn’t a weak point.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It may be a triple option but it is way different than PJ'S. I was surprised that Paul didn't tweak his offense to include some plays from the shotgun during his time.
He did. With both Vad Lee and Kevin Washington. Problem = the results weren't as good. Now if Vad had come back in 2014 we would, imho, have seen the 2013 Tech/Ugag game in every game. That was the one time Paul ran the Hawaii version of the spread option while he was at Tech. But instead we got Justin Thomas and the rest is history …

PS: we also ran the pistol in various forms with Vad.

Last edited:

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
He did. With both Vad Lee and Kevin Washington. Problem = the results weren't as good. Now if Dad had come back in 2014 we would, imho, have seen the 2013 Tech/Ugag game in every game. That was the one time Paul ran the Hawaii version of the spread option while he was at Tech. But instead we got Justin Thomas and the rest is history …
Good ole Kevin...

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
It's funny how much flack CPJ got when he was here running the "triple option offense". I wrote it in the UGA Postgame thread with video samples that some of the stuff concepts we're running is very similar or pretty much the same as what other "traditional option offenses" (I used Wing T in that one) are running. Perceptions change when you do it out of the shotgun.

If you look at CPJ's Midline (with QB keep read), it's similar to the last TD we ran against UGA.

Faulkner uses slot WR jet motion as eye candy/constraint similar to how the BBack is used (minus the jet motion), set up by jet sweeps all game, but essentially the play concept is the same. AB (#20) acts like the pulling guard through the "midline" (or B Gap), while Faulkner uses the pulling OG to block through the B Gap and QB runs behind him.

Brent Key makes no qualms about it. GT is running option...just a repackaged option without the baggage and recruiting perception of CPJ's Flex Option. Most of the option concepts out there are still being used today, just with different variations, and different packaging.

CPJ was meat and potatoes with how he ran option concepts, while modern day OCs like Faulkner are adding all the bells and whistles (pre-snap motion, shifts, running out the shotgun, etc.).

You certainly can make it work with Kings arm talent and a 10.2 100 meter wide out and a 10.5 100 meter slot. They can’t be ignored, when in motion. Very dangerous. I haven’t seen creativity like this since Fridgeon.
I don’t want to short change the unexpected contribution the Ivy League grad trans guard has made. Never saw that coming.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
He did. With both Vad Lee and Kevin Washington. Problem = the results weren't as good. Now if Vad had come back in 2014 we would, imho, have seen the 2013 Tech/Ugag game in every game. That was the one time Paul ran the Hawaii version of the spread option while he was at Tech. But instead we got Justin Thomas and the rest is history …

PS: we also ran the pistol in various forms with Vad.
Good ole Kevin...
T T T T tisk ;) well done @yeti92

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have never really understood the hullaballoo about the "triple option". CPJ didn't invent it. It has been a part of football since time immemorial. And EVERY smart OC runs it in one form or another. Names for it vary, mostly based upon differing base formations. RPO is triple option. Frankly, if you can get one defender out of the play without blocking them, you SHOULD do it on damned near every play!

I think (and it's only a guess) that people disliked CPJ's offense because (1) he didn't pass enough to excite fans; and (2) the social media rap against it as a high school offense (which it certainly looked like based upon its formation sets). Now we run it out of different sets and pass more and suddenly we're sexy. Personally, I don't get it.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that Kirby was being complementary:

"they might have just whipped us"

while also being dismissive:

"they run a form of the triple option"

An obvious attempt to hurt our recruiting and diminish our program.

We did whip 'em. Too bad we didn't win that one.

/

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that Kirby was being complementary:

"they might have just whipped us"

while also being dismissive:

"they run a form of the triple option"

An obvious attempt to hurt our recruiting and diminish our program.

We did whip 'em. Too bad we didn't win that one.

/
This is what I don't get. Running the triple option is NOT an insult.

My guess is if you asked Kirby if UGa runs triple option, he'd answer honestly "of course we do". Football people know it works. They don't diminish it.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
On the "fake reverse delay" the OL doesn't go downfield. Does this mean it was actually a QB run/pass option?

If we ran this as a QB keep then two of our OL could have released on that play it it probably goes for more (maybe a TD).

/
It looks like it to me. The right tackle was moving down field. Then stops right at the LoS and takes a step back. Must have been expecting a pass/run option. If it was a called run he should have kept looking downfield for someone to block

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's funny how much flack CPJ got when he was here running the "triple option offense". I wrote it in the UGA Postgame thread with video samples that some of the stuff concepts we're running is very similar or pretty much the same as what other "traditional option offenses" (I used Wing T in that one) are running. Perceptions change when you do it out of the shotgun.

If you look at CPJ's Midline (with QB keep read), it's similar to the last TD we ran against UGA.

Faulkner uses slot WR jet motion as eye candy/constraint similar to how the BBack is used (minus the jet motion), set up by jet sweeps all game, but essentially the play concept is the same. AB (#20) acts like the pulling guard through the "midline" (or B Gap), while Faulkner uses the pulling OG to block through the B Gap and QB runs behind him.

Brent Key makes no qualms about it. GT is running option...just a repackaged option without the baggage and recruiting perception of CPJ's Flex Option. Most of the option concepts out there are still being used today, just with different variations, and different packaging.

CPJ was meat and potatoes with how he ran option concepts, while modern day OCs like Faulkner are adding all the bells and whistles (pre-snap motion, shifts, running out the shotgun, etc.).

The pass King threw to the tightend off an option motion was essentially the exact same play CPJ ran with the pass going to an A-back.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
On the "fake reverse delay" the OL doesn't go downfield. Does this mean it was actually a QB run/pass option?

If we ran this as a QB keep then two of our OL could have released on that play it it probably goes for more (maybe a TD).

/
Yes. The play side wideout is streaking toward the endzone. If the corner comes up in run support, it’s going downfield.
Great play!

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
You certainly can make it work with Kings arm talent and a 10.2 100 meter wide out and a 10.5 100 meter slot. They can’t be ignored, when in motion. Very dangerous. I haven’t seen creativity like this since Fridgeon.
I really think Singleton *should* be a slot receiver in this offense - we're still lacking a big body receiver on the outside with speed to kill. Maybe Blackburn can be that guy if he can get healthy.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Straight from Kirby Smart during his postgame press conference.

Folks, I can't tell if this is an atomic bomb or the silver bullet that unites the fan base.

So I ask you in the poll above, are we:
1) Running a big boy offense
2) Running a high school offense
3) Running GT utopia

Full context in the video below (begins at the 7:44 mark). It was a question about the challenge of defending Haynes King.

So, is he showing CBF some love in case he need to bring him back to UGA once another school poaches UGA's OC?

😲