• High School

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Key birthed O'Leary & CPJ's baby

Votes: 58 76.3%

• Total voters

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Straight from Kirby Smart during his postgame press conference.

Folks, I can't tell if this is an atomic bomb or the silver bullet that unites the fan base.

So I ask you in the poll above, are we:
1) Running a big boy offense
2) Running a high school offense
3) Running GT utopia

Full context in the video below (begins at the 7:44 mark). It was a question about the challenge of defending Haynes King.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Folks, I can't tell if this is an atomic bomb or the silver bullet that unites the fan base.

3) Running GT utopia

Full context in the video below (begins at the 7:44 mark). It was a question about the challenge of defending Haynes King.

I’m voting the O’Leary / CPJ lovechild… that’s the obvious answer given our history.

“They mighta just whipped us. I don’t know…”

We certainly had them off balance defensively. About time!!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Having a good scheme and executing it are the 2 parts you need to have a good play/game. If you watch the clips of our offense from the UGA game, not only are the plays extremely well designed, they are executed almost perfectly. Our OL made up of 3-stars, walk-ons, and Ivy League transfers is dominating their 4 and 5-star future NFLers. Driving them off the ball and away from the play. When Kirby said, “they might’ve just whipped us” he was right. We did just whip them. Unfortunately for our offense, our defense wasn’t up for the same task. I really hope we keep Buster around. I believe us having a talent deficit when compared to the best teams on our schedule really allows/forces him to be creative in the play calling and design. UGA had a lot of wrinkles in their offense when Monken and Faulkner were there together, but they never really needed it. Between Buster’s creativity and Key’s increased focus on physicality at the LOS, we’ve got a really good thing going.

(PS: it also helps your OC and gameplan look a lot better when you can execute the plays. A bunch of incomplete passes or missed blocks and we’d be sitting here wondering if we’ll ever be able to compete with UGA again, not plotting ways to take them down next year.)

PPS: any football “analyst” with half a brain should be able to watch our UGA film and know that this Tech offense is a legitimate threat to anybody in the country. It was not a fluke what happened against UGA. With a couple extra weeks of practice to work out kinks and install some more of the playbook, I got us dropping 40 on whoever we play in the bowl game

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m voting the O’Leary / CPJ lovechild… that’s the obvious answer given our history.

It's funny how much flack CPJ got when he was here running the "triple option offense". I wrote it in the UGA Postgame thread with video samples that some of the stuff concepts we're running is very similar or pretty much the same as what other "traditional option offenses" (I used Wing T in that one) are running. Perceptions change when you do it out of the shotgun.

If you look at CPJ's Midline (with QB keep read), it's similar to the last TD we ran against UGA.

Faulkner uses slot WR jet motion as eye candy/constraint similar to how the BBack is used (minus the jet motion), set up by jet sweeps all game, but essentially the play concept is the same. AB (#20) acts like the pulling guard through the "midline" (or B Gap), while Faulkner uses the pulling OG to block through the B Gap and QB runs behind him.

Brent Key makes no qualms about it. GT is running option...just a repackaged option without the baggage and recruiting perception of CPJ's Flex Option. Most of the option concepts out there are still being used today, just with different variations, and different packaging.

CPJ was meat and potatoes with how he ran option concepts, while modern day OCs like Faulkner are adding all the bells and whistles (pre-snap motion, shifts, running out the shotgun, etc.).

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Shh don’t tell anyone, but Urban Meyer did the same thing and used to call CPJ for help, but asked him not to share so he didn’t get labeled as an “option guy.” Oh also Rich Rodriguez, Chip Kelley and many others, but remember top secret, confidential, don’t tell anyone.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

3) Running GT utopia

If this comment was made about any other team, it wouldn’t mean a thing. It’s only because of our recent history with the TO and us spending years on here debating it that we want this to mean something. She asked him about Haynes scrambling and he corrected her that they were designed runs, triple option plays, which they are. Everyone uses it. It’s common in spread offenses.

Also, sounds like we earned Kirby’s respect. The “whipped us” line is not something he often says. He blamed the early UT runs on their own mistakes. He blamed the early success of Florida in the first quarter on defensive confusion caused by not getting adjustments signed in time. Here, he basically concedes that we might have just beat them(offensively).

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It's funny how much flack CPJ got when he was here running the "triple option offense". I wrote it in the UGA Postgame thread with video samples that some of the stuff concepts we're running is very similar or pretty much the same as what other "traditional option offenses" (I used Wing T in that one) are running. Perceptions change when you do it out of the shotgun.

If you look at CPJ's Midline (with QB keep read), it's similar to the last TD we ran against UGA.

Faulkner uses slot WR jet motion as eye candy/constraint similar to how the BBack is used (minus the jet motion), set up by jet sweeps all game, but essentially the play concept is the same. AB (#20) acts like the pulling guard through the "midline" (or B Gap), while Faulkner uses the pulling OG to block through the B Gap and QB runs behind him.

Brent Key makes no qualms about it. GT is running option...just a repackaged option without the baggage and recruiting perception of CPJ's Flex Option. Most of the option concepts out there are still being used today, just with different variations, and different packaging.

CPJ was meat and potatoes with how he ran option concepts, while modern day OCs like Faulkner are adding all the bells and whistles (pre-snap motion, shifts, running out the shotgun, etc.).

And he shouldn’t… like you and several others have said, these option principles aren’t new and CPJ wasn’t the only one running them.
when you put it in shotgun with multiple sets and different pre snap motion, you’ve got “big boy” innovative offense.

*not to take anything away from the work Haynes king has done throwing it downfield (sometimes as a third option)

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm curious how many teams he's ever said that about. Definitely not our team since 2016. Really excited for us to continue to progress!

ramble_on92

Georgia Tech Fan

Having a good scheme and executing it are the 2 parts you need to have a good play/game. If you watch the clips of our offense from the UGA game, not only are the plays extremely well designed, they are executed almost perfectly. Our OL made up of 3-stars, walk-ons, and Ivy League transfers is dominating their 4 and 5-star future NFLers. Driving them off the ball and away from the play. When Kirby said, “they might’ve just whipped us” he was right. We did just whip them. Unfortunately for our offense, our defense wasn’t up for the same task. I really hope we keep Buster around. I believe us having a talent deficit when compared to the best teams on our schedule really allows/forces him to be creative in the play calling and design. UGA had a lot of wrinkles in their offense when Monken and Faulkner were there together, but they never really needed it. Between Buster’s creativity and Key’s increased focus on physicality at the LOS, we’ve got a really good thing going.

(PS: it also helps your OC and gameplan look a lot better when you can execute the plays. A bunch of incomplete passes or missed blocks and we’d be sitting here wondering if we’ll ever be able to compete with UGA again, not plotting ways to take them down next year.)

PPS: any football “analyst” with half a brain should be able to watch our UGA film and know that this Tech offense is a legitimate threat to anybody in the country. It was not a fluke what happened against UGA. With a couple extra weeks of practice to work out kinks and install some more of the playbook, I got us dropping 40 on whoever we play in the bowl game

Loved that TE pop pass and the fake end-around. Felt like we really opened the playbook for this game, don’t think we had seen some of those plays before.

colton

Georgia Tech Fan

The last one was one of my favorite plays from the game. Felt like something straight out of CPJs playbook.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious how many teams he's ever said that about. Definitely not our team since 2016. Really excited for us to continue to progress!
I felt like we ran the ball well early in this game. More so and earlier than we have in several other games this year.
I didn’t rewatch it all and watching highlights only may not be the best evaluation tool, but uga came out in a three man front and it looked like they had MLB spying King. We pushed them around in the first half and the misdirection / option got that MLB spy out of position a lot.
In the second half, uga came out with a four man front. We still handled it pretty well, but we didn’t get holes in the middle as often. Then we got the edges a few times when the middle clogged a bit, and it opened back up some.
Watching both of King’s TD runs, our interior line just blew their DL off the ball. Both runs went to Leonard’s side… on the first, he missed the block but the DE got frozen by the sweep action. On the second, he sealed the edge and our line pushed them so far off the ball that Haynes didn’t even need the pancake block by a pulling Fusile.

The final 3-4 minute of the first half may have been the difference. They got a TD drive and we missed a FG in response. It really could’ve gotten ugly there if they had gotten in the endzone to start the third.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I felt like we ran the ball well early in this game. More so and earlier than we have in several other games this year.
I didn’t rewatch it all and watching highlights only may not be the best evaluation tool, but uga came out in a three man front and it looked like they had MLB spying King. We pushed them around in the first half and the misdirection / option got that MLB spy out of position a lot.
In the second half, uga came out with a four man front. We still handled it pretty well, but we didn’t get holes in the middle as often. Then we got the edges a few times when the middle clogged a bit, and it opened back up some.
Watching both of King’s TD runs, our interior line just blew their DL off the ball. Both runs went to Leonard’s side… on the first, he missed the block but the DE got frozen by the sweep action. On the second, he sealed the edge and our line pushed them so far off the ball that Haynes didn’t even need the pancake block by a pulling Fusile.

The final 3-4 minute of the first half may have been the difference. They got a TD drive and we missed a FG in response. It really could’ve gotten ugly there if they had gotten in the endzone to start the third.
I was just looking at this. If the dwags had scored faster (and we scored with the extra time left) or if we had slowed them down more, that's a big swing in the game. Add in the 4th down early that we could have probably converted and maybe scored, it's not a stretch to say we could have been leading by 3 at halftime. Obviously you can't start changing plays now, but just saying we were in a good position in the game.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I was just looking at this. If the dwags had scored faster (and we scored with the extra time left) or if we had slowed them down more, that's a big swing in the game. Add in the 4th down early that we could have probably converted and maybe scored, it's not a stretch to say we could have been leading by 3 at halftime. Obviously you can't start changing plays now, but just saying we were in a good position in the game.
Even if everything else were equal and we hit the FG (taking the sack on 2nd down hurt) it’s only 21-16 at the half.

The “middle 8” has been our nemesis all season and Saturday wasn’t an exception. I am glad our D held them to a FG in the 3rd or it could’ve really snowballed. We gave up 7 just before the half and then missed FG after giving up field position on a somewhat ill advised sack. uga could’ve slammed the door to start the 3rd.

The good news in all of this is that a handful of plays made a difference in the outcome. Previous seasons had us “almost” making plays to keep it respectable.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It may be a triple option but it is way different than PJ'S. I was surprised that Paul didn't tweak his offense to include some plays from the shotgun during his time.

he did?

We ran a ton of plays from the pistol flex from 2011-2013.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Even if everything else were equal and we hit the FG (taking the sack on 2nd down hurt) it’s only 21-16 at the half.

The “middle 8” has been our nemesis all season and Saturday wasn’t an exception. I am glad our D held them to a FG in the 3rd or it could’ve really snowballed. We gave up 7 just before the half and then missed FG after giving up field position on a somewhat ill advised sack. uga could’ve slammed the door to start the 3rd.

The good news in all of this is that a handful of plays made a difference in the outcome. Previous seasons had us “almost” making plays to keep it respectable.
In 2021 we were boat-raced by UGA and ND to finish the season. ND racked up 55pts with 514 yards of offense, 212 of which was rushing yards. UGA torched us for 45pts on 463 yards, 208 of which was rushing. We scored a grand total of ZERO points in those two games and and only had 166 total yards against UGA and 224 against ND.

In 2023 we lost to UGA 31-23. Our defense wasn't good and needs a LOT of improvement but did notably cause 2 turnovers versus NONE in 2021 and our offense racked up those 23pts on 363 yards of offense, 205 of which was rushing against a vaunted DL that we manhandled. We have a long way to go. But we've made a lot of progress already.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I keep hearing that our OL manhandled their DL. We did well running the ball, but I don’t think I would go that far. If we manhandled their DL, then what in the world would you call what they did to ours?