There is no quit in this team!!!

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Forgive me, but I'm from a less touchy-feeley generation of engineers. My football post was not personal between you and me. It was about opinion on our D, not our team but our D.

You also seemed to misunderstand me about encouraging our team. Let's just keep it simple. Answer this question to clarify your point: Do you think practically the worst in the country is their best?
I believe the personnel we have on defense dictates this kind of statistic. So, yes, I am not surprised at all that we are statistically one of the worst defenses in the nation. And, I agree with LD, I am enjoying watching this bunch play with the effort they're giving. We just went through Flunkgate II; and I think most fans don't even have that as a factor in their minds. And, the coaches won't say it because they don't want to give their team excuses nor do they want to make the players think that they're playing because they're just what was left after the academic hammer swung. We lost JHD, Whitehead, Kitchen, Commissiong, Robbins, and Akins ... ALL ON THE D-LINE!!! D-Line has been historically the toughest position for us to get to a high level (and QB), imo. Now, take that situation and subtract 6 from the 8 in the 2-deep (and 3 of 4 starters), and what do you expect? Serious question there, not rhetorical. What do you expect given those circumstances at GT? What does it say when a true freshman is your best DE, and we're not talking about a physical phenom like a Clowney?

What was surprising to me was how we were able to stop VT several times and get the turnovers against UM and do enough to get to 5-0. At that point I was in joyful disbelief thinking it was absolutely amazing that Roof and company had gotten the guys to accomplish that. Now, it looks like reality. I'm hoping we've got some more miraculous performances to finish the season. Either that or just let the other team score in order to get the ball last ourselves.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Forgive me, but I'm from a less touchy-feeley generation of engineers. My football post was not personal between you and me. It was about opinion on our D, not our team but our D.

You also seemed to misunderstand me about encouraging our team. Let's just keep it simple. Answer this question to clarify your point: Do you think practically the worst in the country is their best?

I don't think we're going to see huge improvement on the D, the preseason losses were a giant kick in the teeth.

On the other hand, if we improved in open field tackles, I think we might well have been good enough to change the outcome of the last two games.

I think their heads are in the right place, but they need to get their arms in the right place too.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I believe the personnel we have on defense dictates this kind of statistic. So, yes, I am not surprised at all that we are statistically one of the worst defenses in the nation. And, I agree with LD, I am enjoying watching this bunch play with the effort they're giving. We just went through Flunkgate II; and I think most fans don't even have that as a factor in their minds. And, the coaches won't say it because they don't want to give their team excuses nor do they want to make the players think that they're playing because they're just what was left after the academic hammer swung. We lost JHD, Whitehead, Kitchen, Commissiong, Robbins, and Akins ... ALL ON THE D-LINE!!! D-Line has been historically the toughest position for us to get to a high level (and QB), imo. Now, take that situation and subtract 6 from the 8 in the 2-deep (and 3 of 4 starters), and what do you expect? Serious question there, not rhetorical. What do you expect given those circumstances at GT? What does it say when a true freshman is your best DE, and we're not talking about a physical phenom like a Clowney?

What was surprising to me was how we were able to stop VT several times and get the turnovers against UM and do enough to get to 5-0. At that point I was in joyful disbelief thinking it was absolutely amazing that Roof and company had gotten the guys to accomplish that. Now, it looks like reality. I'm hoping we've got some more miraculous performances to finish the season. Either that or just let the other team score in order to get the ball last ourselves.

I expected not the worst. Don't get me wrong, I know we lost a lot of key guys , but only 2 or 3 of them were projected starters, and two in the same position. I just don't see our roster as that bad. We should have been able to come up with some scheme that we could man effectively for a handful of stops a game.

Animal02

Banned
I expected not the worst. Don't get me wrong, I know we lost a lot of key guys , but only 2 or 3 of them were projected starters, and two in the same position. I just don't see our roster as that bad. We should have been able to come up with some scheme that we could man effectively for a handful of stops a game.
We did get get them.....they all fell in the first 5 games. ;).
We also had two stops against Duke that could have changed the outcome of the game......ST's gave one away, the zebras gave the other one away,

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Agree they fight - but hard to fight with too much cushion.
Let's regroup and get the Panthers
I love our guys and their staying in the game to the very end but the cushion given, drove me nuts the entire game. You could pick out the short quick pass receiver 80% of the time pre snap. You have to mix it up and go for an interception at times, jam at the line, even be over aggressive on a long pass play, even if it gets a 15 yard interference. The hurry up I am sure had some effect in being able to mix it up.