Therapy Session

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think way too many of us spent too much time this past summer at the Koolaid bar just off Techwood. Remember when we were discussing our OL and several mentioned we have four of those five dominant guys back? Yeah, me too. But the guy we are missing may be the only rookie starting lineman in the NFL this season. He was very good. And he made the guys on either side of him better.

And the two guys who shared the B-back position? The guys that left with ten years in our system? We replaced them with two players with no experience in the offense. At A-back we still have Snoddy, but he may have been our weakest blocker at that position last year. Hill, Zenon, and Bostick all had 4-5 years in the system and knew their role was blocking. Andrews was probably our best blocker in the open field. Boy, we miss him!

At WR we lost two great blockers to the NFL and now, our #3 WR (also a good blocker) to injury. Guess what guys? No offense works very well without blocking. This is why we are not getting open on the edge. Defenses do not have to put extra guys in the box to defend the dive. Part of that is the talent of Skov and Marshall compared to Laskey and Days, but even they would have trouble with no gaps.

CPJ warned us of this during August, but we thought it was just our greatly improved defense (read, the addition of Jabari) stopping our still "work in progress" guys at the skill positions. We wanted to believe all the things ESPN was saying about us and the sudden respect we were getting. Then someone spiked the punch bowl with two lopsided wins over hapless opponents. We started talking about blowouts in South Bend and getting even in Durham.

It's time to get real about our team. Thanks to an improved defense, we are still very competitive, and may be good sometime this year. But these young guys in the backfield have got to get some experience. We are asking more of them than is fair. Return the purple drink pitcher back to the fridge.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I love Tech, and I love Tech football - I want them to win every single game, just like all of you. But it is not the season records, the championships, or bowl game wins that are impressive to me or make me proud to be a ramblin' wreck. Win or lose, I'm their biggest cheerleader. Here are my top 6 reasons:

1. Our players are not thugs! You misbehave; CPJ will not let you continue.
2. Each player had to not only meet a certain academic requirement to get in, but they are smart enough to graduate - and all of them have to take calculus to do it. They don't major in underwater basket weaving, and the requirements to be eligible are higher than NCAA rules.
3. Our team is just that - a team. We have stars, but the entire offense or defense does not depend on one or two clutch players to make every play. They all know the value of working together as a team and sacrificing through blocks to get the job done.
4. They don't come unraveled under adversity - even after 2 really tough losses, both times they stuck it out and almost came back - I think about Pittsburg last year and DJ White not giving up on the play - had he given up, the entire game would have been different. Because he stuck with the play, that has to be one of the most fun quarters to Tech football in recent history to watch (I still can't delete it off my DVR). The same can be said for the UGA game last year.
5. In order to play for Tech, you have to buy into big boy football - not that boring pro style offense everyone else plays. You have to commit to real contact football.
6. Ratliffe - need I say more? Honor in recruiting.

While we all want to drink the koolaid as described by orientalnc above, I challenge all of you to remember that all of the reasons above are good ones to be excited. When it comes to what really matters, I think our program is batting 1000.

GO JACKETS!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I knew this sort of start was a distinct possibility, but I didn't believe we would have looked this bad on offense. The defense is living up to my expectations so far. We have a good unit in that side of the ball.

We beat Duke without a complete breakdown in special teams...plain and simple. Then everyone's criticism of the offensive production, including my own, don't get voiced as much.

The season is no where close to over. The good news is that if the offense starts to produce, I think we have a good enough defense to turn us into a good football team...that could still win the conference. Look, there are two conference games the rest of the way that are very scary, the rest are manageable if our play improves.

Last year we lost two division games and still made it to Charlotte, so it's not that crazy. I'd be willing to bet the Coastal rep in the ACCCG has two conference losses again, but maybe it will only have one. Either way, we are still alive.

It's time to rally the troops and win some football games!

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
I wanted to hope for the miracle, but I don't base my love for Tech on it. All the goals that matter most to me as a LONG time Tech fan [Beat the Mutts, Win the Coastal, Win Our Bowl Game] are still on the table. Our offense has caused self-inflicted damage, but I don't think they are defined by these two games. Special Teams worries me, but if we can get past the huge mistakes, our Defense seems capable of compensating. And I do think our Defense is improved. All this leads me to believe strongly that a 10 win season is still possible without Koolaid delusions. At the same time, I will celebrate being a fan of this team no matter what!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I need the therapy lol. I just turned my tv on to cfb daily and they were showing film on ND they just keep showing plays against GT. I began to talk to the tv I was getting so upset over plays like the push off so I just ended up changing the channel lol. :mad:

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I admit I drank too much koolaid, I thought we really had a shot at the playoffs because;

JT was Heisman quality good and was unstoppable at running our offense
4-5 OL's return = Strength
The Skov transfer would fill our BBack hole
Snoddy back from injury
Jabari Hunt's return to eligibility strengthens the DL
Brad Stewart was going to make up for the loss of DeAndre Smelter

I basically thought we'd have the same offensive success but would now have a better defense ...
With expectations back in check I'll calm back down and hope we extend our bowl streak and beat UGA !

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I still don't think it's koolaid. I think we aren't executing to ability. I wonder if the OL responsible for making line calls is being "heard" correctly by all. I think we miss Shaq in this role and in holding guys accountable.

I wouldn't be surprised by Marshall at C and Burden at RT

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I still don't think it's koolaid. I think we aren't executing to ability. I wonder if the OL responsible for making line calls is being "heard" correctly by all. I think we miss Shaq in this role and in holding guys accountable.

I wouldn't be surprised by Marshall at C and Burden at RT
Agreed, if we just get our assinments down our offense should be close to last years, but now we would have a better D. Hopefully we get it down this week, and don't look back.