The three plagues of pessimism

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is your mind right?

Our “base” is a 7 and 6 season. Is there enough change to lower that base or help us climb to a higher heights.

The three plagues of pessimism:

1. We lost 3 outstanding high performance players: JT, Sneezy, and Godhigh.

2. We lost our starting QB and our second QB, a walk on, is pushing the first QB

3. Our OL is young

Answers:

1)

I’ll admit losing these three players is tough. Returning experienced SS Isaiah will help and I believe we will have other people step up: Marvin, Lynn, and Milton. Isaiah would be the new pick to defend an Ebron player in 2012.

Godhigh was/is a beast! I predict Perkins, Hill, or Zenon will step up. Zenon had some great runs in the start of the 2011 season but seemed to drop out of existence for a while. You will notice he was on the field a lot during the spring game with some decent yards. One or all of these guys will come through for the team.

WDE is truly a question mark. Sneezy was a big part of our defense. This is the one area that could cause a significant drop off for the defense. Harrell is said to be looking at DE; Freeman showed out in the spring game; and Whitehead has lots of experience. The future looks good here; the question is will they be ready by game 4?

The answer will be on the field!

2)

The starting QB could not carry the team to the Promised Land and neither will the next QB. The quicker we get to a team mentality the faster we will get to reality. Vad was better than we give him credit, but not many would argue that GT will be worse off with JT and Byerly.

The passing base in completion/interception that was set in 2013 is a law bar to hurdle. If that gets us 7 wins then I believe there is a chance to improve here. CPJ tried to tell everyone there is a difference in a strong arm and a great passer.

JT and Byerly are not your “new” option QBs. They will be more experienced than most. I believe they both have picked up the option quickly and they both offer something different, speed versus power. They will both function better under pressure and are both ready to make the pitch. They want to run the option and that is the basis of success in an option team.

The answer will be on the field!

3)

Would you rather start off with the same OL issues we had last year or be where we are this year. Most should answer the latter as we know what the former offers. If the OL fixed nothing but false starts we would be a game ahead.

We will have a line that is fully healed and not playing hurt. They will play at the potions they practiced. This assumes the best out of fall camp.

Final Answer:

If the base is 7 and 6 then JT and Byerly will maintain and be more likely to take us to higher heights. They want to run the option and they have been mentally practicing the option all summer (versus honing their passing skills).

I say if the base is 7 and 6 then the OL will meet that call and raise them at least 1 game by practicing all year against high-pressure fronts.

We will have heroes that step up and fill our hearts. Is there enough talent there to step up and fill the breach? I would rather have hopes dashed on rocks than to not believe. Our men, who bleed white and gold, have what it takes to win.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll meet the base but I don't think we'll exceed it much if at all.
With that said the answer will be determined by the defense. If it's stout better if the same or worse GT will remain the same.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
My biggest hope is that all the opponents suck, I think it can be true!

Not a single promising Coastal team and weak OOC schedule except for uga.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's a question I've had:

Yes, JT and Byerly want to run CPJ's base offense that much is not in doubt. The bigger issue is whether the pieces around them let us run CPJ's offense at the level we saw previous to last season.

More questions than answers to those questions, IMHO. It wasn't like the OL was opening truck size holes and Vad chose not to run through them, or our BBs had acres of space in front of them but were too slow to take advantage of them. The QB can only do so much. I think JT certainly has some strengths to skillset that Vad didn't have (and vice versa), but at the end of the day, if we have a hard time blocking or our inexperience guys block the wrong guy what good is wanting to run the base offense?

My two biggest concerns heading into this season are: 1. Chemistry and experience of our talented young OL. 2. Keeping JT healthy.

Outside of that on offense, I think we're ahead or even with last season.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Orwin was our playmaker in 2012, Godhigh stepped up in a big way, maybe somebody else will do the same. Attachou will be hard to match but maybe the DLine as a whole will be better. Jemea will also be hard to replace but I think DJ can get the job done and somebody like Step or Noble can take the #2 spot. We go Golden and IJ back so the Saftey spots should be good

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
We didn't just lose Attouchu and Jemea on defense. Here were our leading tacklers last year:
1. Jemea Thomas 73 solo 15 assist 88 total
2. Quayshawn Nealey 44 solo 22 assist 66 total
3. Brandon Watts 42 solo 24 assist 66 total
4. D.J. White 40 solo 10 assist 50 total
5. Jabari Hunt-Days 31 solo 14 assist 45 total
6. Jeremiah Attouchu 37 solo 8 assist 45 total

So we lost 4 of our top 6 tacklers. Add in that of our 34 total sacks on the year, the players accounting for 23 of those sacks and 6 of 14 interceptions are gone.

Source

2. Vad wasn't the greatest QB last year. But it's easy to forget that his passing was key in a few games last year. In the UGA game, we went up by 20 points primarily due to the passing game. Also, in the Pitt game, on 3rd and 17 late in the fourth quarter, we had a 14-10 lead when Vad threw it up deep to Smelter and he (Smelter) outjumped the 2 players to pull down the long first down at the 13 yard line. Maybe Justin and/or Tim could have made that throw as well but the fact remains...that pass was the backbreaker. We scored 2 plays later to go up 21-10 and forced them to have to pass and try and catch up.

Can one of those guys do what Vad did? Hopefully so. One or maybe both may surpass his completion percentage...but I'm not sure that either will be a better "passer" when we need a passer than Vad was.

3. Great. Our QB's want to run the option. But there are times when we have to pass...and not just pass off the run as a surprise element. I mean pass when everyone in the stadium knows we have to pass. When that happens, how will our QB's respond? Because I personally think that's the key to whether or not we have success against the better teams...not the desire of our QB's to run an option offense.

Just my opinions.
And FWIW, hell I hope we go 15-0 and win the inaugural playoff national championship. But I look at those stats above and it leads me to believe that our weak schedule is the only saving grace for us having a potential winning season this year. I think most people would look at those stats and say this is a rebuilding year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll meet the base but I don't think we'll exceed it much if at all.
With that said the answer will be determined by the defense. If it's stout better if the same or worse GT will remain the same.

I agree. I do not think there will be any drop off by the offense and there is chance for slight improvement. But if we can get the defense to improve even marginally it will translate into a couple more wins. I think about the Miami, Clemson, BYU and Georgia games and I come away every time wishing the defense had had one or two more stops in those games. Rather than being 0-4 against those teams we could have been at least 2-2. With a little momentum change added in we might have even been 3-1.

Just sayin'

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think a whole lot of Watts and JHD. I also believe that we have a strong LB corps that can provide the help we need here.

JT is number 1 for a reason. Sneezy was a pass pressure and QB sacker beyond his tackles. The unknown, but my hope is that Isaiah/White can step up for JT. We don't have a replacement for Sneezy except a transfer and a true freshman, which is a bigger unknown. I do have hope here to be good, but Sneezy Sr. good in one year?

Vad should get more credit than many give him as I said. I don't mean he did not have great passes. He also had great option plays too. This is a work as a whole. There is a 1st half and a second half for the uga game along with a bowl game. Again, this is not a QB alone issue as no QB we have recruited can carry our whole team.

The question is can JT or Byerly perform at least as good as Vad or perhaps better. Wanting to run the option is a great place to start for an option team. They can pass better than TW (although TW was very undervalued).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
1. Yes, we lost 4 of our top 6 tacklers from last year, but that gives the next line a chance to step up. Any time a superstar moves on, there's question about the guys who come next. We've been here before, we'll be here again. Now it's time for Tyler Marcordes, PJ Davis, Anthony Harrell, and Kendarius Whitehead to replace those four. I want Jemea's replacement and D. J. White to be much lower down the list. That would mean the secondary is having to do less run-stopping support because the Front-7 are doing their job. I'm really high on Marcordes and Harrell, and I think Whitehead is a special talent.

2. I'm as comfortable with either JT or TB in our passing game. I think they'll be every bit as accurate as Vad was, and that by the time we play UGA, either of them could reproduce what Vad did. I also think that both of these guys will be better in the running game, which will open up the passing game more. So, even if you question them being at Vad's level last year, they won't have to be. I think TB has the best touch of any of the three of them.

3. Wanting to play in our base offense as opposed to suffering through our base offense will make a huge difference, in my opinion. The fact that JT and TB both buy in fully will make the passing game better. Will this be reflected when we need it most? We'll see.

I for one am very optimistic about this up-coming season. We have many positives going into the season and an easier schedule than last year. Yes, we've got some holes to fill, but I'm confident in the guys we have ready to step up.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We didn't just lose Attouchu and Jemea on defense. Here were our leading tacklers last year:
1. Jemea Thomas 73 solo 15 assist 88 total
2. Quayshawn Nealey 44 solo 22 assist 66 total
3. Brandon Watts 42 solo 24 assist 66 total
4. D.J. White 40 solo 10 assist 50 total
5. Jabari Hunt-Days 31 solo 14 assist 45 total
6. Jeremiah Attouchu 37 solo 8 assist 45 total

So we lost 4 of our top 6 tacklers. Add in that of our 34 total sacks on the year, the players accounting for 23 of those sacks and 6 of 14 interceptions are gone.

Source

2. Vad wasn't the greatest QB last year. But it's easy to forget that his passing was key in a few games last year. In the UGA game, we went up by 20 points primarily due to the passing game. Also, in the Pitt game, on 3rd and 17 late in the fourth quarter, we had a 14-10 lead when Vad threw it up deep to Smelter and he (Smelter) outjumped the 2 players to pull down the long first down at the 13 yard line. Maybe Justin and/or Tim could have made that throw as well but the fact remains...that pass was the backbreaker. We scored 2 plays later to go up 21-10 and forced them to have to pass and try and catch up.

Can one of those guys do what Vad did? Hopefully so. One or maybe both may surpass his completion percentage...but I'm not sure that either will be a better "passer" when we need a passer than Vad was.

3. Great. Our QB's want to run the option. But there are times when we have to pass...and not just pass off the run as a surprise element. I mean pass when everyone in the stadium knows we have to pass. When that happens, how will our QB's respond? Because I personally think that's the key to whether or not we have success against the better teams...not the desire of our QB's to run an option offense.

Just my opinions.
And FWIW, hell I hope we go 15-0 and win the inaugural playoff national championship. But I look at those stats above and it leads me to believe that our weak schedule is the only saving grace for us having a potential winning season this year. I think most people would look at those stats and say this is a rebuilding year.

Not arguing here so much as playing devil's advocate. So here we go . . .

(1.) The evidence to date is that Coach Roof has the defense on an upward trajectory. Until we see evidence to the contrary we can expect the defense to show modest improvement each year under his leadership.

(2.) At the end of the year the ratings for college QBs had Lee virtually dead last in the nation. He threw almost as many interceptions as touchdowns. Against Pittsburgh his key throw was less than impressive but Smelter's recovery and catch was magnificent. Against uga they virtually gave him any pass he wanted to throw and concentrated on stopping Tech's running game. Mark Richt said as much at half time of that game and he was confident that Lee was not going to be able to keep that up for an entire game.

(3.) Even Alabama does better passing when "not everyone in the stands knows" it is coming. What has made Alabama a decent passing team the last couple of years is that no one can run the ball down your throat better than they can. Having a solid running game will help Tech's passing. Lee's timidity with getting hit meant that we were running half of our option package much of the time.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
We lost some really good players who had their mind right. If we can find a way to replace them and get some good rolls of the ball, we could have a good season. And as every year, the primary key will be attitude. Nothing can beat having your mind right (and that includes coaches and fans). Nothing.

Last edited:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
As a person who is, by nature, optimistic I refuse to go into any season with a woe is me attitude. Every year each and EVERY college team loses players from starters to beach warmers. I simply look at it as opportunities for new starters to blossom and show why they were recruited. You are never certain if the new players are going to be better or worse than the players they replace but that's one of the very exciting things about sports as a whole!

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Not arguing here so much as playing devil's advocate. So here we go . . .

(1.) The evidence to date is that Coach Roof has the defense on an upward trajectory. Until we see evidence to the contrary we can expect the defense to show modest improvement each year under his leadership.

(2.) At the end of the year the ratings for college QBs had Lee virtually dead last in the nation. He threw almost as many interceptions as touchdowns. Against Pittsburgh his key throw was less than impressive but Smelter's recovery and catch was magnificent. Against uga they virtually gave him any pass he wanted to throw and concentrated on stopping Tech's running game. Mark Richt said as much at half time of that game and he was confident that Lee was not going to be able to keep that up for an entire game.

(3.) Even Alabama does better passing when "not everyone in the stands knows" it is coming. What has made Alabama a decent passing team the last couple of years is that no one can run the ball down your throat better than they can. Having a solid running game will help Tech's passing. Lee's timidity with getting hit meant that we were running half of our option package much of the time.

I hope you're right. But:
1) I'm not sure where the pass rush is going to come from, other than Gotsis.

2) Yeah, I agree Lee wasn't going to keep it up the entire game. Once he threw an interception in the second half, CPJ wouldn't let him throw anymore. We threw 6 passes in the second half and 3 of them were on 3rd and long.
And, FWIW, our QB's will pretty much always be near the bottom or on the bottom of national QB ratings. When you average 12 - 14 passes per game and some teams are throwing 40 - 60 times per game, the numbers just won't be comparable.

3) Of course. I don't take issue with your statement. I'm just saying that there are times when everyone knows you have to throw it. When those happen, arm strength matters and, I'm just saying I hope our guys have the physical skills to get it done when that happens.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I hope you're right. But:
1) I'm not sure where the pass rush is going to come from, other than Gotsis.

2) Yeah, I agree Lee wasn't going to keep it up the entire game. Once he threw an interception in the second half, CPJ wouldn't let him throw anymore. We threw 6 passes in the second half and 3 of them were on 3rd and long.
And, FWIW, our QB's will pretty much always be near the bottom or on the bottom of national QB ratings. When you average 12 - 14 passes per game and some teams are throwing 40 - 60 times per game, the numbers just won't be comparable.

3) Of course. I don't take issue with your statement. I'm just saying that there are times when everyone knows you have to throw it. When those happen, arm strength matters and, I'm just saying I hope our guys have the physical skills to get it done when that happens.

We are all wondering about where the pass rush will come from. One theory is that the 4-2-5 allows for a variety of controlled blitzes and stunts. That would mean we may not have one guy with 14 sacks but we might have seven guys with between 3-7 sacks each.

Not to sound argumentative but when I refer to Lee's low QB ranking, the point is that it was uncharacteristically low even for a Tech quarterback. Tevin had a better rating prior to Lee and Thomas is already projected with a higher rating by a pro analysis I saw the other day. My point is that I do not expect the quarterback to be ANY WORSE than Lee.