The Tech Way

Johnson_buzz

Georgia Tech Fan
We all as Tech fans should subscribe to support these athletes. It also gives us a chance to compete in big NIL deals. May be the only chance we have.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
1. Pool money behind MBB

2. Buy 3 stud Freshmen/transfers to instantly turn the program around

3. Make 3 straight Final Fours

4. Build brand/name recognition through basketball success

5. Parlay the new brand into football recruiting

aka the Miami method

JacketFan137

Banned
1. Pool money behind MBB

aka the Miami method
i feel like we tried to do this before with hewitt and it failed spectacularly

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Hewitt made 5 NCAATs in 11 years, went to the National Championship game, and went 7-5 in the NCAAT over his tenure. He won 20 games 4 times, and finished .500 or better in conference 4 times.

I’m not so sure I would call that failing spectacularly. Especially considering in the 12 years since we fired Hewitt we’ve made 1 NCAAT and only 2 NITs.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I wasn’t a fan at that time but my understanding was the issue was giving essentially a lifetime contract to a head coach who underperformed with the talent he had. You don’t need me to tell you some of those 1&Ds were ridiculous in the 00s and gave us everything we could hope for. Some of the salty grapes I suspect come from what CPH’s contract did financially to GTAA but the teams played at a competitive level I’d hope to see in what was a Top 2 conference as @JacketOff points out.

JacketFan137

Banned
Hewitt made 5 NCAATs in 11 years, went to the National Championship game, and went 7-5 in the NCAAT over his tenure. He won 20 games 4 times, and finished .500 or better in conference 4 times.

I’m not so sure I would call that failing spectacularly. Especially considering in the 12 years since we fired Hewitt we’ve made 1 NCAAT and only 2 NITs.
yeah but we hamstrung ourselves for a decade across all sports and it really hurt our ability to spend on football. if we want to be good at football pump money into football don’t try to be a basketball school

don’t really care what hewitt did on the court. it hurt every sport at tech when we went all in on being a basketball school

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
yeah but we hamstrung ourselves for a decade across all sports and it really hurt our ability to spend on football. if we want to be good at football pump money into football don’t try to be a basketball school

don’t really care what hewitt did on the court. it hurt every sport at tech when we went all in on being a basketball school
Name a basketball-first school that also has a good football program.

Football is the money sport. It feeds all the other mouths on campus. So, if you're in the SEC or B1G, you're gonna have money to buy better basketball, baseball, and volleyball coaches, gyms and players. And for that reason, I realized a loooong time ago, that eventually, the other P5 conferences would catch up with the ACC in basketball. The ACC had a good run...going back to Norm Sloan, Jimmy V, Lefty, Dean Smith, and Terry Holland, etc. - or even earlier.

Today? How many teams does each conference have in the Top 25 right now? See my point?

Cash is king.

Last edited:

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
1. Pool money behind MBB

aka the Miami method
I love basketball success. But I'd prefer football as the top priority. It's the most popular college sport and Tech needs to be competitive again. I miss us being good :/

JacketFan137

Banned
Name a basketball-first school that also has a good football program.

Football is the money sport. It feeds all the other mouths on campus. So, if you're in the SEC or B1G, you're gonna have money to buy better basketball, baseball, and volleyball coaches, gyms and players. And for that reason, I realized a loooong time ago, that eventually, the other P5 conferences would catch up with the ACC in basketball. The ACC had a good run...going back to Norm Sloan, Jimmy V, Lefty, Dean Smith, and Terry Holland, etc. - or even earlier.

Today? How many teams does each conference have in the Top 25 right now? See my point?

Cash is king.
yeah i agree. football will subsidize your other sports. building football first should always be the objective

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
GT is still a football first school. FB recruiting is talked year round. At UNC , Duke and NCSU their talk BB recruiting year round. I see very little activity on the BB recruiting side of the gt swarm except right around signing dates.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
When you're a perennial Top 25 program with a reputation for being "Point Guard U", then recruiting matters.

When you're a cellar dweller with no coaching change in sight, it's hard to get excited about more of the same. 🥱

BB is where FB was a year ago in that we need to make a change at HC. It just hasn't happened, yet.

This off-season could be VERY interesting. Please.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
When you're a perennial Top 25 program with a reputation for being "Point Guard U", then recruiting matters.

When you're a cellar dweller with no coaching change in sight, it's hard to get excited about more of the same. 🥱

BB is where FB was a year ago in that we need to make a change at HC. It just hasn't happened, yet.

This off-season could be VERY interesting. Please.
We are only a few years removed from an ACC title and tourney appearance. Our BB program would have to suck for a couple more years to be where our RB program was last year.

Also, unlike TFG, CJP always seems to be able to pull magic out of his hat like last night's win over Da U, to cool the hot seat a little.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
We are only a few years removed from an ACC title and tourney appearance. Our BB program would have to suck for a couple more years to be where our RB program was last year.

Also, unlike TFG, CJP always seems to be able to pull magic out of his hat like last night's win over Da U, to cool the hot seat a little.
I thought about that before posting.

But it's a 68-team field, so the bar is much lower.

And does anyone seriously think we're on the verge of a break-out recruiting class and season? :cautious:

thetechway

Georgia Tech Fan
Apologies for starting a new thread, but we wanted to share updates with you that weren’t buried in a thread.

I hope you’re all aware of The Tech Way, which officially launched last week. We have been working behind the scenes for many months, and we’ve had numerous discussions with J Batt and his team to ensure all pertinent rules are followed. We also worked with folks at Swarm the ATL to consolidate to avoid confusion.

J Batt sent out an email discussing NIL and The Tech Way last week: https://bit.ly/3IHQZIS

Here’s an article from On3 about our launch:

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/georgi...us-to-newly-launched-the-tech-way-collective/

So far, we’ve signed 25+ Georgia Tech student-athletes to NIL deals, spanning three sports (football, men’s and women’s basketball), thanks to the generosity of our passionate contributors.

The success of The Tech Way will depend on fans like you supporting the cause and signing up for one-time contributions, monthly subscriptions ($10-500) or business sponsorships. Contributions can be designated to a specific sport or a student-athlete, if you’d like.

Stay tuned for more media coverage and announcements of ambassadors. If you have questions, I can answer them here or feel free to email: [email protected]