The Tech Tower T

Buzz_404

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m a younger fan and I love hearing stories from my dad about the Tech Tower T and it got me wondering, have any of you got any stories about you or a friend stealing it? (Don’t worry this is a safe place) 😉

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I’m a younger fan and I love hearing stories from my dad about the Tech Tower T and it got me wondering, have any of you got any stories about you or a friend stealing it? (Don’t worry this is a safe place) 😉
Which time?

There were multiple whistles stolen as well.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Theyll only get you if you go back to Georgia. Nobody wants to fund an extradition anymore....

Car Chase Police GIF

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I had one of the ‘T’s in my possession for a while, back in grad school. It wasn’t stolen from the Tower, though. A friend and I borrowed a spare T from storage, to present to an outgoing Dean at his retirement party. I want to say it was the Dean of Students…(Dean Dull, or are my wires entirely crossed?) I had a pickup truck at the time, so I got tapped to collect the T and make the delivery. Wish I’d gotten my picture taken with it, but this was decades before smartphones.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I had one of the ‘T’s in my possession for a while, back in grad school. It wasn’t stolen from the Tower, though. A friend and I borrowed a spare T from storage, to present to an outgoing Dean at his retirement party. I want to say it was the Dean of Students…(Dean Dull, or are my wires entirely crossed?) I had a pickup truck at the time, so I got tapped to collect the T and make the delivery. Wish I’d gotten my picture taken with it, but this was decades before smartphones.
Dean Dull retired early 90's. His contributions to GT were immense. Great man. If anyone deserved a T, it would be him.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
I was on campus when the T was stolen in 2014.
It was pretty exciting since people thought it was impossible to steal since they enhanced security. Shame that Tech charged him $15K for doing it.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
It was pretty exciting since people thought it was impossible to steal since they enhanced security. Shame that Tech charged him $15K for doing it.
IIRC, This is the one that led them to install the new letters (the ones they have up there now)

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
I happen to know that in the 90s there were lots of sensors on the stairs and roof to get to the T externally. The police response was generally <5mins when the sensors were tripped. Office windows on the fire escape stairs were often left open. That is as far in the recognizance that the people that I know got to.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember that. The guy who stole it was in my calc 2 recitation my first semester.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Magnificent 7 were Delta Tau Delta guys in 1963. They mounted it and gave it to Dean Griffin for his retirement. It was stolen again when I was a grad student - it was probably in 71 to 74 timeframe. Not sure who pulled that one off. I just remember they kept trying new whistles until they got one with similar sound. Best part was it was mounted right above campus security and had a flood light trained on it. No one thought it could be stolen again after magnificent 7 caper. Not sure where that one ended up or who did it.

konabuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Several of my group decided it would be cool to try and steal the T DURING A HOME GAME DURING THE DAY. 2 got caught and got had the opportunity to meet Dean Dull. As they both were graduating SR's, they were put on double secret probation and encouraged to stay out of further trouble.