Film Room The Summer Push VT Play 25

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Parker just destroys the D tackle on this play! Lee misses(why?) the MLB, he makes that block and MM is still running!

Parker was helped out by Shamire taking his guy down, so the DT had nowhere to take his legs. Parker did a GREAT job turning the DT there.

Kenny Cooper got a clean release and beat 24 to the spot this time. Totally different result from the earlier play that was posted. If Cooper picks up 54 instead of 24, and let Eason pick up 24, that could have been a really big play. Not sure the blocking designation there, so it could have been by assignment for Cooper.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Parker was helped out by Shamire taking his guy down, so the DT had nowhere to take his legs. Parker did a GREAT job turning the DT there.

Kenny Cooper got a clean release and beat 24 to the spot this time. Totally different result from the earlier play that was posted. If Cooper picks up 54 instead of 24, and let Eason pick up 24, that could have been a really big play. Not sure the blocking designation there, so it could have been by assignment for Cooper.

It was Cooper not Lee, thanks! I would have thought the MLB would be his automatic on this play

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Freddie always went for the MLB. Cooper seems to be trained to let the MLB go if he is headed outside. This happened a lot during the game.

The Aback was assigned outside containment of the MLB and he never got there... Lee was assigned safety. They reversed normal roles for these two during the game. it worked well. The AB was there to stop the MLB if it was a keep or pitch.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Freddie always went for the MLB. Cooper seems to be trained to let the MLB go if he is headed outside. This happened a lot during the game.

The Aback was assigned outside containment of the MLB and he never got there... Lee was assigned safety. They reversed normal roles for these two during the game. it worked well. The AB was there to stop the MLB if it was a keep or pitch.
You're probably right, but I don't like it. Coop should take the MLB and Eason should take the OLB. Can't have the MLB unblocked on the dive.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Before this year is out, we just might miss good old Mr. Dependable Marcus Marshall. I know Mills has the tools to be an all time great but that position HAS to have a capable backup that will play significant minutes in every game. It is the nature of the beast. I hope Kirvonte and Q are hitting the weights and running hard this summer. We need them to be ready.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
You're probably right, but I don't like it. Coop should take the MLB and Eason should take the OLB. Can't have the MLB unblocked on the dive.

I do not understand the thinking of not blocking that middle linebacker. That man must be hit on any dive play. That said, the blocking in this game was a sight to behold. Those men were putting it all out on the line. I assume VT #94 had outside containment on the quarterback. Is that why he let Marcus go right by him? Of course, the Bback hits that hole so quick it is difficult for a lineman to make that play. I ask because Coach Foster usually seems to have his ends crack down harder inside than most of our opponents. Others more knowledgeable feel free to correct me and comment. One other question for Longest Day or others: Is this a called dive or an option of some kind?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Before this year is out, we just might miss good old Mr. Dependable Marcus Marshall. I know Mills has the tools to be an all time great but that position HAS to have a capable backup that will play significant minutes in every game. It is the nature of the beast. I hope Kirvonte and Q are hitting the weights and running hard this summer. We need them to be ready.
I wish we did not lose MM. But it is what it is. MM and DM would be devastating. Plus no drop off if one or the other is hurt. I hope Q stays healthy and Kirvonte of the Spring game is for real.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I do not understand the thinking of not blocking that middle linebacker. That man must be hit on any dive play. That said, the blocking in this game was a sight to behold. Those men were putting it all out on the line. I assume VT #94 had outside containment on the quarterback. Is that why he let Marcus go right by him? Of course, the Bback hits that hole so quick it is difficult for a lineman to make that play. I ask because Coach Foster usually seems to have his ends crack down harder inside than most of our opponents. Others more knowledgeable feel free to correct me and comment. One other question for Longest Day or others: Is this a called dive or an option of some kind?
This is our basic triple option (inside veer) play. MJ is reading the DE (#94) who lays off the Bback so it's a give read. Coop and Eason both take the OLB for some reason.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is not a called dive. This is a triple option play. The defensive end goes outside (slow plays a little as well). The OLB goes outside. The read is give.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This is not a called dive. This is a triple option play. The defensive end goes outside (slow plays a little as well). The OLB goes outside. The read is give.

Thank you both Longest Day and Dressed for answering my question. This is the inside veer the basic play of the triple option. A good read by MJ and nice run by Marcus. Sigh! I am going to miss him.