Film Room The Summer Push Benson Play

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Was that Brant that got off the block and got a grasp of Kirvonte? If so he did a great job shedding the block but a tad late and with Kirvonte strength he wasn't going to bring him down alone.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just looking at hits
If blitz ok then Good play by BM. Lee is shucked quickly and almost makes play.
Bad guess by branch.
Left AB makes great block on retreating db who is 3 yds into endzone
Center and will continue to make good blocks.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Lee gets just enough of Brant to let KB slip by. What bothers me is he leaves his feet. I'd rather see him keep his feet under him and just drive Brant out of the play. Good of Brant to fight off the block and almost make the play.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Qua took out the safety. Qua had some very good blocking during the spring game. Qua has improved a lot on blocking and was one of the best for the spring game.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Just looking at hits
If blitz ok then Good play by BM. Lee is shucked quickly and almost makes play.
Bad guess by branch.
Left AB makes great block on retreating db who is 3 yds into endzone
Center and will continue to make good blocks.
Brad Morgan is playing RG. Will left the game after the first play in the 2 gt.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
To me it looks like Lee launched himself at Brant.
That block isn't as easy as it looks. You have to guess the angle the LB's going to take and head for the spot you guess he will be in. If you go too shallow, he goes over the top of you, if you go too deep, he goes under you. Lee has it almost right, but the athleticism of the LB allows him to stop and change direction to defeat the block. If Lee doesn't fully commit with full force, he's going to just get run over, but if he does commit with full force, it allows the LB's change of direction to shuck the block. You see this all the time with a RB doing the same thing to a DL to avoid a tackle - same athletic contest. This was a pretty good contest from both those guys.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Brad Morgan is playing RG. Will left the game after the first play in the 2 gt.

Well thats a happy error to make as it's going to be a long season

U are definitely right about this game only useful about watching match ups.
Even then I have doubts on any real conclusions to be drawn.

Seems like 54 is not holding line at LOS but maybe that's a technique he is coached.

At least it's clear we have more athletes and they are all hustling.

Deleted member 2897

Bad guess by branch.

Yup, but there was a high chance there of guessing right if you hit the QB, so you gotta like the odds. Plus it could disrupt the mesh. Clemson is great at this - shooting the gaps and totally messing up the mesh and any semblance of even running a play.

Looking at some of the blocking and of defense (Brant, Branch, etc.), I continue to like what I see more than most years.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Great block by Lee.

Good defense but "Defeating blocks 101" is you never spin out of a block. If he side stepped out of it it may have saved couple tenths of a second. Also great blocks interior OL. The center did a great cutting off backside LB

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Great block by Lee.

Good defense but "Defeating blocks 101" is you never spin out of a block. If he side stepped out of it it may have saved couple tenths of a second. Also great blocks interior OL. The center did a great cutting off backside LB

When Brant first shucked him I thought he was going to slide to his right, instead he spun and that was all Kirvonte needed.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Great block by Lee.
On first view, I thought so, then later just thought it was ok. I guess if the objective is to clear the gap and remove any defender in it, he does a pretty good job. I just wish Brant was pancaked and didn't have a chance to trip up the ball carrier. You see guys get tripped up by an ankle swipe all the time. Good job by both players, imo, which is the best we can hope for in a spring game.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
On first view, I thought so, then later just thought it was ok. I guess if the objective is to clear the gap and remove any defender in it, he does a pretty good job. I just wish Brant was pancaked and didn't have a chance to trip up the ball carrier. You see guys get tripped up by an ankle swipe all the time. Good job by both players, imo, which is the best we can hope for in a spring game.

Yep. One of those teachable moments of where good could be great.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ibee,
Is the dt -54 suppose to hold the line of scrimmage or is he following a technique to bend but don't get fully blocked?
He ends up several off line of scrimmage.

If he not supposed to give ground then it's a very fine block.
If he is to give a little ground and guard an area, then he did ok as ol went to ground.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Ibee,
Is the dt -54 suppose to hold the line of scrimmage or is he following a technique to bend but don't get fully blocked?
He ends up several off line of scrimmage.

If he not supposed to give ground then it's a very fine block.
If he is to give a little ground and guard an area, then he did ok as ol went to ground.

He's suppose to defeat the blocker by pressing him into the dirt. He screwed by keeping not keeping his body square to the defender and his outside leg free