The season can start now... Midline Thread

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Lol 2011 was 7 years ago. They had Kevin Steele as their DC. Since then Clemson's recruiting has been absolutely insane. And they have Venables now and he plays the option with the tools he has available as well as anybody.

Their entire D line this year is slated to go in the first round of the draft. There are plenty of NFL defenses that don't have a line comprised of 1st rounders.

Watch last year's game in the first half. We didn't run much of anything because their defense just ate our lunch all game long.
SAW

I think the other 7 will be on edge and deep.
Our best option is to run midline on a slight offset and slant= run away from one side of the 4 NFL- leave one totally un blocked and double up in the hole!! Good for 20 against Alcorn and 4 yds against Clemson.

Going to be great game. We will do well.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
SAW

Our best option is to run midline on a slight offset and slant= run away from one side of the 4 NFL- leave one totally un blocked and double up in the hole!! Good for 20 against Alcorn and 4 yds against Clemson.

Going to be great game. We will do well.

Hey - there’s times that I’d take four yards against Clemson...any offense would.

I put that other cat on ignore. Easier that way.

/

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Lol 2011 was 7 years ago. They had Kevin Steele as their DC. Since then Clemson's recruiting has been absolutely insane. And they have Venables now and he plays the option with the tools he has available as well as anybody.

Their entire D line this year is slated to go in the first round of the draft. There are plenty of NFL defenses that don't have a line comprised of 1st rounders.

Watch last year's game in the first half. We didn't run much of anything because their defense just ate our lunch all game long.
SAW

LOL

For those who don't get the joke, we've discussed the OffFEI data over the last several years showing GT and Navy as two of the most efficient offenses.

Yeah, and recruits are just lining up to play in these efficient offenses!

/s <-- that's massive sarcasm for those unaware.

Wait, what? GT has been a top 25 in offense efficiency 6 out of the past 10 years with 2 top 3 finishes...... There has also been many games where the offense has been competitive against elite talent. Schools don’t run it because it not “cool” not because it doesn’t work though. Your opinion has no facts to back it up.

Fact - we haven't beaten an elite team like Clemson since...2014 and that was mostly due to Clemson QB injury and 2 Defensive scores.

2 of 3 losing seasons and missed bowls are stats that back up my opinion, as is losing to Duke 3 of 4 years running...and badly, all 3 times. When a defense like Duke shuts you out for a half of football (2017), it's tough to take the Offense arguments very seriously.

Fact is, this offense limits our already-tight recruiting and has a similar record to the previous coach that got fired. The only thing different from CCG is 3 wins over the mutts. I credit CPJ for that but let's not fall all over ourselves pretending we're an unstoppable offense.

It does not work well when you don’t make your blocks due to jimmys and joes. The midline is made to defeat talent on the inside as he becomes optioned. But if you cannot block the DE or the other OT because they are all lord of the rings tree people, nothing will work well.

exactly - if you can't block the hosses up the middle, it's asinine to run up the middle!

(PS - I think you meant the other DT. our guys shouldn't be blocking each other)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, and recruits are just lining up to play in these efficient offenses!

/s <-- that's massive sarcasm for those unaware.

When did I ever say they were?

You may be a good guy, but your posts reflect a childish inability to admit when you've posted foolishness.

I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, or the out, that you were joking. Yet you insist on doubling down on denseness.

Have a great day.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Fact - we haven't beaten an elite team like Clemson since...2014 and that was mostly due to Clemson QB injury and 2 Defensive scores.

2 of 3 losing seasons and missed bowls are stats that back up my opinion, as is losing to Duke 3 of 4 years running...and badly, all 3 times. When a defense like Duke shuts you out for a half of football (2017), it's tough to take the Offense arguments very seriously.

Fact is, this offense limits our already-tight recruiting and has a similar record to the previous coach that got fired. The only thing different from CCG is 3 wins over the mutts. I credit CPJ for that but let's not fall all over ourselves pretending we're an unstoppable offense.
You said WONT ever, I’m sorry you have no proof of this. It’s also not the system that has caused us to be bad lately but it’s the resource CPJ has been given. Now, you can choose to ignore that but it’s a FACT that he has not been given resources like the other teams we have played. BTW there has been other teams since 2014 with elite talent that we have been competitive with either in a loss or win. UGA 2016 had elite talent compared to us (idc if they had a new coach, they still had elite talent) Miami last year had elite talent compared to us as well. I understand you might not like CPJ, and I mean no disrespect but you obviously don’t understand the offense that well or you wouldn’t be making statements like you’ve made. There are plenty off ex players and analyst that know 10 times what we know about football that talk about how the system still works. And just so you know most systems don’t work against elite talent when you don’t have equally elite talent. That’s why Clemson and Bama don’t lose very often, so you’re asking us to do something almost every school in football can’t do, and that’s compete with elite talent when they don’t have elite talent. So please show me a system that does compete with elite talent when having the talent GT has?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Watched Trevor Lawrence spring game highlights the other day. Announcer noted how smooth his transition had been because his high school ran pretty much the same offense.

Factories don't run this bc of recruiting. It works, and would be killer with their dudes.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow

2015 the injury bug decimated the entire team.

2016 was a pretty decent year by most folks metrics. BEAT UGA.

2017 the ball bounced against us in SEVERAL games - we make 3 plays and we have 3 more wins. Entirely different perspective on that year.

When were we ever consistently recruiting elite talent on either side of the ball? The offense we run wins us games we would not otherwise have a chance in given our recruiting.

The Duke game has generally fallen right around mid terms. They went 8-5 in 2015, 5-7 in 2016, and 7-6 in 2017. They are not quite the perennial doormat that they used to be. And, Cutcliffe always has his defense disciplined and playing us well.

Oh, and we've won an ACC championship, and been to two more besides that. Virtually all of your arguments are invalid.

The only thing everyone agrees on is if we want to compete with Clemson in any meaningful way, our Oline has to be way better cause their Dline is unreal.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Hmmm, forgetting we beat FSU in 2015 and UGA in 16? Or VT the last 2 years? Or do we only get to count games vs Clemson or UGA occasionally?

Our problem has generally been on D, and it sounds like we're making movements on that side. If we get typical CNW statistics, we'll need to make reservations for Charlotte. Because I think we get back in the top 10 on offense this year.

I think the O will be better because Quon will be confident with the pitch and Lynch will make more of the catches over the middle (where Quon seems more comfortable). Plus Lynch will be back to his 10+ yards a touch capability. Probably our most dynamic Aback since Orwin.

If we get top 30 D with the O we're capable of, we'll give a lot of teams issues. I'm expecting top 50ish D though, which tempers the enthusiasm a bit. Mostly worried at the NT position. Cerge-Henderson looks like he's coming in ready to give notice, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm, forgetting we beat FSU in 2015 and UGA in 16? Or VT the last 2 years? Or do we only get to count games vs Clemson or UGA occasionally?

Our problem has generally been on D, and it sounds like we're making movements on that side. If we get typical CNW statistics, we'll need to make reservations for Charlotte. Because I think we get back in the top 10 on offense this year.

I think the O will be better because Quon will be confident with the pitch and Lynch will make more of the catches over the middle (where Quon seems more comfortable). Plus Lynch will be back to his 10+ yards a touch capability. Probably our most dynamic Aback since Orwin.

If we get top 30 D with the O we're capable of, we'll give a lot of teams issues. I'm expecting top 50ish D though, which tempers the enthusiasm a bit. Mostly worried at the NT position. Cerge-Henderson looks like he's coming in ready to give notice, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
1st bolded part. ST's have been an achilles heel, as well.
2nd bolded part. What gives you that impression?

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
1st bolded part. ST's have been an achilles heel, as well.
2nd bolded part. What gives you that impression?

I also forgot to add UGa and MissSt in 2014, who were better than Clemson without DeShaun in 14. The UGa team in 14 was a very good team, who we knocked out of a new year's day game with our win against them.

He looks trimmer. I also think with it being his senior year he'll be focused. And his kid is probably sleeping through the night now....our success will hinge on that position demanding double teams. I'm really hoping we can get it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Well, they aren't first rounders until they are first rounders so they can't very well be "slated" to go. A couple have said they came back despite being first round picks this year. Nope. They came back because projections had 2-3 of them falling into the second round. They came back to win, for sure, but they were not first rounders. And only this season's performance will determine that next spring. But yes, if the argument is they are very good, yes they are. And their LBs may be better and the D backs better ... the joint is loaded down there. (They went into Alabama and got the state's best right out from under Saban. He is putting the lights out as a true freshman in fall practice.)