The round of 64 starts today! What’s your favorite GT March Madness moment?

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
As y’all know, I’m young. I’ve only witnessed three appearances from us (2007, 2010, 2021) Mine’s probably the 2021 game vs Loyola. Just seeing us in March Madness again felt so good.

HOWEVER… for you older people out there. I do realize there’s a plethora of great GT moments in March throughout history. Kenny Anderson’s on the line shot, the holy mackerel play, Will Bynum’s layup, etc.

What’s your favorite? And why is that specific moment your favorite?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Wearing georgia shirt with Tech added in sharpie during the Ok St state game because i was out of real GT gear. Being in college laundry was secondary to going out. Did a massive laundry day on Sunday and wore fresh GT gear on Monday night for the natty. Guess I washed all the magic off.

Oh yeah and playing with a 1990 final four pizza hut basketball while watching our game vs the runnin rebs.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Bynum against OK State for me as well. Was in Ohio by then, but got to watch the game with 4 or 5 other guys that I went to Tech with and were also working at Wright Patterson AFB. Incredible night.

SuperToe

Georgia Tech Fan
Both St. Louis and San Antonio in 2004 were magical.

I drove solo to St. Louis and ending staying in the hotel with the Nevada team and mascot. Bynum made an acrobatic reverse layup to seal the win, and we partied into the night knowing we got to hang around for two more days. Elder was injured in that game, so we were worried about how we would stack up against Kansas. To top things off, they must have had 30,000 fans there for the Sunday game. But our 3,000-ish fans were mighty, and the team pulled out the OT victory. After the game, Bill Self walked over to the Tech fans waiting by the bus and congratulated us on the win. Class move.

I always regretted not going to Denver in 1990, so my wife wasn't going to let me miss out on San Antonio. Bynum's game-winner against Oklahoma was the single greatest moment in Tech BB history. We hugged complete strangers for about 15 minutes afterwards in celebration. The buildup to the championship game was wild; the Tech party at Rita's on the River on game day and the sendoff for the team at the hotel were electric. While the game didn't end so well, the trip was worth every dollar we spent getting there.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I always regretted not going to Denver in 1990, so my wife wasn't going to let me miss out on San Antonio. Bynum's game-winner against Oklahoma was the single greatest moment in Tech BB history. We hugged complete strangers for about 15 minutes afterwards in celebration. The buildup to the championship game was wild; the Tech party at Rita's on the River on game day and the sendoff for the team at the hotel were electric. While the game didn't end so well, the trip was worth every dollar we spent getting there.
The Final Four is simply the best when it comes to sports vacations. I hope to see Georgia Tech tip the ball there (again, as a fan) someday.

I was rooting for the bad guys in 2004 so that Final was certainly a highlight if we are talking about GT NCAAT moments ;)

Just tipping the ball in 2021 was my actual highlight. The early run the first couple TV timeouts was fun. But I waited a long time for that game. I can’t imagine the euphoria Furman fans are feeling today.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
James Forrest vs USC
That was certainly the most stunning. 1 second left. The ball gets inbounded from half court as Forrest is running towards the ball. Forrest pivots and shoots in the same motion without really getting a chance to size up the shot, basically throwing up a prayer. He's not known for having a long range shot. There's no way it goes in, right? Forrest reportedly tried to duplicate the shot in practice many times (20 times?, maybe someone else remembers the details) for the media and never came close to making it.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Udofia was a frosh that year and painful to watch. 1 TO per 11 mins. 36% shooter. 1.1:1 ATO. Sadly, his assist rate never really improved, but he did turn it over less frequently. Never learned to shoot.

Still not sure how that team lost 13 games and had a losing record in the conference.