The reverse

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
We still ran misdirection plays. There was the play where Justin faked the pitch left and took it right. There was another where the A-back who is usually the lead blocker took the handoff up the middle, essentially making it a reverse (just with a handoff instead of a pitch). I don't remember ever seeing that second play before. CPJ continues to surprise me when he adds a new wrinkle to the playbook.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
We still ran misdirection plays. There was the play where Justin faked the pitch left and took it right. There was another where the A-back who is usually the lead blocker took the handoff up the middle, essentially making it a reverse (just with a handoff instead of a pitch). I don't remember ever seeing that second play before. CPJ continues to surprise me when he adds a new wrinkle to the playbook.
That 2nd play was the main counter play, non counter option, against Pitt. You're right we always have about 2-3 of those besides our main counter plays a week.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Naked bootleg rocket toss!!! And I leaped out of my seat when we ran it. Imagine how well that works if we were actually running rocket effectively before using it?

That is just dirty.

/
Probably my favorite play from the night. It's been a pleasure watching JT grow up in his reads and execution all year. The future is extremely bright with 2 more years of JT under center.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Probably my favorite play from the night. It's been a pleasure watching JT grow up in his reads and execution all year. The future is extremely bright with 2 more years of JT under center.
It is a devastating play when ran at the right time. JT might have missed 2-3 reads all night... as a 1st year starting sophomore. His ceiling is very high in this offense. Miami should be our toughest competition in future years with JT, and I like our chances.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we needed it to be honest. Our run game was working fine except for a few missed blocks and dumb penalties, and when we needed to pass, other than some miscommunication between Thomas and Waller, the passing game was also pretty much spot on.

Bottom line is that our defense gave up way to much the first half, second quarter in particular, and Winston probably played the best game of his career, and he's the reigning Heisman winner, so that should say a lot.

I might add that Green got his one long TD when our defender got tripped up and fell down, and had we intercepted the pass in the second half, well, it gave them a chance to kick a FG which turned out to be the difference in points between us winning and losing the game. In other words, as great/perfect as FSU played Saturday night, we STILL came within an eyelash of beating them. One hellovateam.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
JT looked as fast as he's ever looked. Before yesterday he has looked about 80% speed for the past 6 games or so. Kind of scary for our future opponents.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we wanted to run the reverse against FSU. They lived up to expectations by not playing with sufficient discipline, but the reverse is a play that takes awhile to develop. They have great team speed and I'm glad we didn't test it by running reverses.

And, yes, not having Smelter made a difference last night.