The Refs

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game last night and my god people were livid with the refs. Even for just 11k it was getting rowdy as hell after that non safety. That was probably some of the worst officiating I've seen in an ACC game in a while especially with the soft as **** unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I usually am intolerant of unsportsmanlike behavior and want it enforced but the one after the touchdown catch (was it Carter) was a bit over the top. Even the announcers talked about the extenuating circumstances....the kids on both sides have been practicing for a month (+/-) without getting a chance to play. I agreed with their comments and, as said, I am usually "old school" regarding player celebrations.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I usually am intolerant of unsportsmanlike behavior and want it enforced but the one after the touchdown catch (was it Carter) was a bit over the top. Even the announcers talked about the extenuating circumstances....the kids on both sides have been practicing for a month (+/-) without getting a chance to play. I agreed with their comments and, as said, I am usually "old school" regarding player celebrations.
Jalen Camp was the one that got the unsportsmanlike penalty for his TD

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
On one of the Duke TD's the receiver pushed off to get separation as the ball arrived. It was a good throw and catch, and a no call was understandable.

But call it the same way for both teams, and be consistent. We were then called for two PI penalties that were questionable in view of the Duke push off. No wonder their passing yardage was so high.

A bit later, our receiver was mugged over the back by a Duke defender. Clear pass interference, and no call. Again, call it the same way for both teams.

The celebration penalties were almost like the officials were saying "This is Duke, you aren't supposed to celebrate, you should bow down and ask foregiveness for scoring."

So glad we beat them. It was the win I wanted most.

Deleted member 2897

The Refs can kiss my dirty unwashed ***. All Refs. They ruin every sport they touch. Ted Valentine is the worst in any sport, making everything about himself. Who high steps down the court making the charge penalty sign?

Until leagues hold Refs accountable, there’s no reason to change. They can all go pound sand.

Scubapro

Banned
The Refs can kiss my dirty unwashed ***. All Refs. They ruin every sport they touch. Ted Valentine is the worst in any sport, making everything about himself. Who high steps down the court making the charge penalty sign?

Until leagues hold Refs accountable, there’s no reason to change. They can all go pound sand.
Ha!!! I will see your Teddy Valentine and raise you a Lenny Wertz (sp?). Lenny cost us at least ten games in 80s.
I agree with you...the ACC officials are the worst.
I think the SEC officials are corrupt and the ACC officials are incompetent.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
One inconsequential eff-up but still utterly bewildering to me... Duke’s first punt was downed by them at the 10.5 yardline. The duke player immediately hands the ref the ball and the ref places it directly behind the 10 yard line. It cost us like 2 feet, but still... it is the easiest “spot” in the game of football and they got it wrong.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer

Wow, painting w/ a wide brush aren’t you? There are a few who make it about them, but many out there doing all they can to get it right.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Can someone update me on reviews, are there any challenges by the coaches now or is “everything” automatically reviewed ?

I felt the Duke player who attempted a fair catch after picking the ball up, realized his mistake and ran into the end zone himself. They marked forward progress but I dont think that was correct and it didn’t get a lot of interest as to if he went in on his own or was pushed in. The overall convo was on the player trying to fair catch not how he got into the end zone.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Can someone update me on reviews, are there any challenges by the coaches now or is “everything” automatically reviewed ?

I felt the Duke player who attempted a fair catch after picking the ball up, realized his mistake and ran into the end zone himself. They marked forward progress but I dont think that was correct and it didn’t get a lot of interest as to if he went in on his own or was pushed in. The overall convo was on the player trying to fair catch not how he got into the end zone.
the refs announced that he had been pushed into the endzone. that's forward progress and can not be reviewed.

yeah he probably did run back into the endzone on his own but it wasn't ruled that way. can not review forward progress

Deleted member 2897

Are there any refs on this board? High school or college? It would be an interesting take to hear their opinions.

They can die a slow death, being thrown off the upper story of a skyscraper.

Of course I’m kidding. Of course all Refs aren’t bad. Humor and satire at the expense of the group of them who ruin games.