The RB Rotation Delimma

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs doesn’t have the best yards per attempt on the team, but if you watch him in the game, the entire defense keys off of him. I put the stats below, but the stats don’t tell the story with Gibbs. Sims got great yardage last night partially because the defenders were all watching what Gibbs was doing.

Just watch any running play where Gibbs is in—the defenses are out to make sure that he doesn’t beat them. Play action should open up really nicely for us.

Gibbs, Mason, and Smith all have good yardage, considering we didn’t bust out on offense until yesterday. Our biggest issue is that we’ve been low scoring (except for KSU) until yesterday. If we continue to play on offense like we did yesterday, then there ARE enough carries for everyone.

RushRushRushRush
RkPlayerGAttYdsVAvgTD
1Jahmyr Gibbs4532494.71
2Jordan Mason4381694.40
3Jeff Sims21616210.13
4Dontae Smith4181498.32
5Jordan Yates436541.51
6Jamious Griffin15163.20
7Kyric McGowan4122.00
8Trad Beatty1111.00

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 9/26/2021.
Additionally, I believe having Sims back will make all the backs look better but especially Gibbs, those D’s are not going to be able to focus on him so much now with the big play threat That Sims brings to the run game

slugboy

Staff member
The AJC just ran an article about UGA and how they’re rotating 4 backs. It’s not just us with multiple talented backs.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Plays like this, and moving the personnel we have around like chess pieces gets me excited. I hope our offensive staff is an energized at the white board as they should be.

They are professionals who want to do well. They would not have made it this far without being tireless in their approach. They have only won 8 games in 26 tries iirc. They are competitive and want to prove themselves to their detractors. They have played professionally and/or worked around and for some really great FB coaches along their way. So of all the things we might have to fret over, I don't think energy or motivation from the staff is on that list. of course, this is just my opinion.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
They are professionals who want to do well. They would not have made it this far without being tireless in their approach. They have only won 8 games in 26 tries iirc. They are competitive and want to prove themselves to their detractors. They have played professionally and/or worked around and for some really great FB coaches along their way. So of all the things we might have to fret over, I don't think energy or motivation from the staff is on that list. of course, this is just my opinion.

I think you took that the wrong way. What I meant is I'm excited thinking of all the ways we can use our players...I hope they have the same excitement I do.

BTW...just because they get paid doesn't mean they are excited by the little things like how to decoy Smith to get Gibbs open (or vice versa). For some in the coaching profession it's just a very lucrative job. I don't think CGC would allow it on our staff...but being a "professional" in coaching is just like being a professional in any other profession. There are some who are genuinely amped for their jobs, and there are others who just punch the clock.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
For some in the coaching profession it's just a very lucrative job. I don't think CGC would allow it on our staff...but being a "professional" in coaching is just like being a professional in any other profession. There are some who are genuinely amped for their jobs, and there are others who just punch the clock.

A bit off topic but a friend and I were discussing how and why people take coaching jobs that don't have he infrastructure and support to have success. But these jobs have turned into lottery tickets. You win....you step up to the good jobs. You don't, you take your buy out and you are set up for life. Then you go back to a normal job. Coaching HS FB and teaching PE in Sheboygan or coaching the TE's and doing laundry/driving the bus at Southern Kentucky A & T. Or just greeting shoppers at the Walmart in Hahira. And laughing your a$$ off all the way to the bank. It's a win/win scenario.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
From a personnel perspective, I would like to see our snap count breakdown. From what I could tell it was almost always 11 personnel, occasionally going 10 or 21.

I would like to utilize as much 2 RB personnel, as possible but can concede its hard to do so consistently. More of a change of pace but when used right it can be pretty lethal.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I loved the lineup with Gibbs and Mason together. Maybe Gibbs was teamed with Smith also, but the announcers commented on the former pair. Gibbs is a solid pass receiver and makes our offense so much better than just his yards per carry.
Seems like someone suggested this a couple weeks back…

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Remember that tweet when all the coaches were going nuts when Griffin made his announcement for Tech? My my things have changed.