The offensive problems and bright spots

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok so from seeing three games it's becoming a little more clearer about what our offense is becoming therefore i wanna look at the good things i've seen and the bad
The GOOD: Our running games is still good with a great talent in jordan mason and insane athleticism from TO although i wanna see jordan howard be involved a bit more because it would give mason a break and let him showcase his talent.
The other thing is that the freshman who are playing can only get better like AB and some of the o-lineman Even if the blocking is bad now more time and actual in game experience with the blocking technique will show improvement eventually hopefully sooner rather than later.
The BAD: Running from the F&$king shotgun on 3rd/4th and 1!!! I don't understand where the coaches have the idea that starting further from the line of scrimmage will get them past it if i see one more 3rd/4th and 1 shotgun run i will loose it!!!!
The other thing i don't like is not throwing it to our transfer tight end if i was a TE Recruit and see how much he's got i'd have a bad feeling of going there he's and absolute beast and great size plus you can dink and dunk with him like come on!

I think it's gonna take time to fix the offense yes but there are some things that looks better than expected and Things that seem like common sense
GO JACKETS!!!!

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
The other thing i don't like is not throwing it to our transfer tight end if i was a TE Recruit and see how much he's got i'd have a bad feeling of going there he's and absolute beast and great size plus you can dink and dunk with him like come on!

I would say that any play that has involved our TE has not been great. The TE is avoiding being hit literally pulling up when a hit may be forthcoming and going out of bounds when the ball is thrown inbounds to name a few. I haven’t been impressed at all but maybe there is something I am missing.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I would say that any play that has involved our TE has not been great. The TE is avoiding being hit literally pulling up when a hit may be forthcoming and going out of bounds when the ball is thrown inbounds to name a few. I haven’t been impressed at all but maybe there is something I am missing.

Seeing the same things.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Anything is better than an orange cone out there
Maybe we need to go with the bigger ones

th

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Also not making any effort to catch balls thrown their way. Multiple pass attempts to the TE on Saturday where they couldn't be bothered to reach out and grab the ball.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
A last bit of venting about offense after way too much of it yesterday . . .

Once upon a time the forward pass was unconventional and seldom deployed, though legal. When most teams operated some variation of single-wing, the double-wing and T-formation were odd, and SMU throwing the ball 20+ times a game was absolutely crazy. Then came the split-T, the I formation, the wing-T and other variations of the T. The veer and wishbone in the late 1960s were unusual, until they weren't. And so it goes.

If the opponent('s coach) is upset or embarrassed because they got burned by something rare, unorthodox, unconventional, or contrarian -- good. :) Screw with the opponent's mindset and expectations. Operate from offensive formations they haven't seen from other opponents. Do things their previous opponents haven't done, whether not-terribly-unusual shovel passes, or having your QB under center but snapping the ball between the QB's legs direct to a FB/TB, or bringing back the old buck-lateral, or using downfield laterals, or using the "Emory & Henry" formation which Spurrier resurrected in the 1990s. Whatever, the list of possibilities is a long one.

Speaking of Spurrier, whose personality I never cared for, at least I respected him, particularly for this quote: "If you want to be successful, you have to do it the way everybody does it and do it a lot better -- or you have to do it differently. I can't outwork anybody and I can't coach the off-tackle play better than anybody else. So I figured I'd try to coach some different ball plays, and instead of poor-mouthing my team, I'd try to build it up to the point where the players think, Coach believes we're pretty good; by golly, let's go prove it."

So: If you're sold on the notion of winning often by running pretty much the same offense (broadly speaking) which most other programs operate, but without a boatload of superior players, and very good coordinators -- good luck with that. No, one need not run triple option (since that triggers the vapors, apparently); there are plenty of other approaches to consider, and older notions to dust off and modify for this era.

Here's hoping these opening three games are just an unusually bumpy and disjointed start, and not the start of four to seven years of wandering in the desert.

And now I'll return to my regularly scheduled anarchy. ;)

Last edited:

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Getting rid of one of our often used plays would go a long way in improving our offense. That is the one where we hike it back 7 yards, stare ahead for 2 to 3 seconds, then dart left or right for 2 yards, make 3 jukes, and get put down by an arm tackle for a loss. This play is killing any chance of consistently moving the chains.

slugboy

Staff member
Con: the O Line is thin and banged up
Pro: They’re moving around a lot, and cross training at a lot of different positions. Southers has played guard and tackle, and others have moved from one side to the other. It’s rough for now, but the guys we do have are getting a ton of experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk