The Offensive Line Makes the ALL BOWL Team

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
OL question, didn't want to start a new thread, what's the plan to fill Shaq's spot, move Shamire over?
After watching Shaq in the Orange Bowl running right past the defensive tackle and getting downfield to take out a linebacker or safety - I am not convinced that Shamire has the mobility to do the same type of things. I will be very interested to see how it plays out.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
Went back and watched some of the OB today, particularly watching the OL clear the way, and it was a thing of beauty. Apparently MSU #50 McKinney was talking a lot of smack all game, and he ended up getting planted on his *** many times. One play (a couple before JTs TD at the end of first half) Shaq drove him 5 yards off the ball and then pancaked him and stood over him for a moment. Those boys were out there to prove a point!
Don't tease this information with out a vine!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm a little torn between pride for the OL and eye roll for the guy giving the award. Part of me just sees lazy analysis, if you can call it that, from a guy who doesn't understand our offense, sees a pile of yards and says "well I guess somebody's doing something good...."

Don't get me wrong, I think our OL did a helluva job, just not sold on the expertise of some random dude, I've heard enough superficial commentary/worn out buzz words/catch phrases from supposed "experts" about our O to last a lifetime. I think our guys get their satisfaction (props) from the respect of their peers/coaches way more than these bozos.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Cheese that it's a bit of a cop-out for them to choose our OL. My first thought was they just didn't want to have to pick out the 5 best individual performances. I'm not complaining one bit, though, it's great press.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I'm a little torn between pride for the OL and eye roll for the guy giving the award. Part of me just sees lazy analysis, if you can call it that, from a guy who doesn't understand our offense, sees a pile of yards and says "well I guess somebody's doing something good...."

Don't get me wrong, I think our OL did a helluva job, just not sold on the expertise of some random dude, I've heard enough superficial commentary/worn out buzz words/catch phrases from supposed "experts" about our O to last a lifetime. I think our guys get their satisfaction (props) from the respect of their peers/coaches way more than these bozos.
But think about this . . .

None of the Tech OL made first-team all ACC while the official ACC media named (refresh my memory please) 4 or 5 (?) of the FSU OL to the first team. Also, it would be lazier (arguably) to simply sing the praises of All-American Shaq Mason.

I am actually happy for the guys to see them get some credit as a group rather than someone just saying that every play was run behind Shaq who single-handedly led the offense to its great success. Assigning praise or blame in large shares to individuals in a team sport that has 11 on the field for each play is actually a pretty difficult thing to do. Clearly larger shares can go to the QB, or a legit AA like Shaq; however, the rest of the line was not chopped liver and any success the QB or Mason had on any single play could easily have been negated by simultaneous screw-ups at other positions.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
But think about this . . .

None of the Tech OL made first-team all ACC while the official ACC media named (refresh my memory please) 4 or 5 (?) of the FSU OL to the first team. Also, it would be lazier (arguably) to simply sing the praises of All-American Shaq Mason.

I am actually happy for the guys to see them get some credit as a group rather than someone just saying that every play was run behind Shaq who single-handedly led the offense to its great success. Assigning praise or blame in large shares to individuals in a team sport that has 11 on the field for each play is actually a pretty difficult thing to do. Clearly larger shares can go to the QB, or a legit AA like Shaq; however, the rest of the line was not chopped liver and any success the QB or Mason had on any single play could easily have been negated by simultaneous screw-ups at other positions.
Good point and I reiterate how deserving the entire OL is of this award. But I still think the media is lazy and relies constantly on catch phrases associated with our offense whether true or not.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
After watching Shaq in the Orange Bowl running right past the defensive tackle and getting downfield to take out a linebacker or safety - I am not convinced that Shamire has the mobility to do the same type of things. I will be very interested to see how it plays out.

I'm Shamire's self appointed #1 fan. My favorite part of GT games is when he comes in b/c he's soo big compared to everyone else & just engulfs the guy lined up across from him. That said, he didn't look great in the OB for the few plays I noticed him...and Shaq looked as good as anyone I've ever watched.

Overall, still think the sky is the limit for the O-line next year.