The Offense

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This. Our struggles on D mask the fact that we may have the best O. We're close. The best.

If we can find a D for next year, we'll compete.

At this point, this may be the best offense overall that Johnson has fielded at Tech, and, in spite of losing a bunch of A and B backs and Smelter, we should be good the next couple of years as well. Unfortunately, though the offense may be his best, the defense is quite likely his worst. Let's hope the improved recruiting pays off and SOON

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
The offense really is exceeding expectations, considering the hand wringing over the A-backs and how JT was going to hold up. If only the D could get to speed bump level a few times a game...

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The one thing that scared me about our offense against UNC is having to resort to so many trick plays. The Miami game was by far the best display of our offense. We just imposed our will on them and they couldn't stop us. UNC forced us into too many 3rd and longs but it is nice to know we have the ability to convert.

If our defense doesn't step up soon though our offense will most likely begin to lose faith and we won't see those conversions.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
I just get the feeling as our offense gets better at the TO, our D gets worse. Can this be real relationship where our D cannot practice against what we see in the games? Last year, the D was better when our offense was less of TO scheme.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The one thing that scared me about our offense against UNC is having to resort to so many trick plays. The Miami game was by far the best display of our offense. We just imposed our will on them and they couldn't stop us. UNC forced us into too many 3rd and longs but it is nice to know we have the ability to convert.

If our defense doesn't step up soon though our offense will most likely begin to lose faith and we won't see those conversions.

Refresh my memory. I don't remember seeing many trick plays. (Getting old in my senile age. Wait, whut?)

The offense down the stretch was a sight to behold. Guys were playing with so much fire. If the O didn't lose faith that night then I don't think we need to worry about that going forward. What we may need to worry about is them losing faith and causing them to play tight or trying to be too perfect knowing it's ALL on them.

I disagree with those that say we have a talent issue only on efense too (not directed at you @jeffgt14). There are some fundamental flaws in just about everything we're doing at all levels. And IMHO @TomOReilly, the efense's level of play has little to do with our offense's scheme. Those old Nebraska defenses were amazing. To bring it forward to today, Auburn's defense is fine.

jeffgt14

Refresh my memory. I don't remember seeing many trick plays. (Getting old in my senile age. Wait, whut?)

The offense down the stretch was a sight to behold. Guys were playing with so much fire. If the O didn't lose faith that night then I don't think we need to worry about that going forward. What we may need to worry about is them losing faith and causing them to play tight or trying to be too perfect knowing it's ALL on them.

I disagree with those that say we have a talent issue only on efense too (not directed at you @jeffgt14). There are some fundamental flaws in just about everything we're doing at all levels. And IMHO @TomOReilly, the efense's level of play has little to do with our offense's scheme. Those old Nebraska defenses were amazing. To bring it forward to today, Auburn's defense is fine.
Well I may be the one going senile. Just re-looking at the play by play I'm not sure we did have many trick plays outside of the reverse and all the 3rd and longs looked like 2nd and longs. Maybe I was just too frustrated to remember things correctly. @33jacket may be on to what my memory was thinking.

I agree with you about the defense as well.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
While it was a poor defensive game, all I can say about the offense is WOW. If we play offense like that we have a chance in every game. We need some more talent on the D line, and that's what's coming. I think we win three more this regular season. This team has some grit. They don't lay down.
I agree with "WOW." Against UNC I felt like I was watching Oregon, just without the hurry up. We passed and ran at will against UNC. I have not done a thorough study so some one should check behind me but I believe this is the best offense we have had in 13 years at Tech if you go by yards per play, red zone efficiency, 3rd down conversion and the like. Our average point production ain't bad either.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Turns out we've got some good ABs. Perkins has been very good with the ball in his hands, playing with serious aggression. Zenon has turned his game up big time. Hill has always been a good all-around player. Snoddy ran like his pants were on fire.

Having big playmakers at WR is a treat - Smelter and Waller are a big part of why we've been so successful on the ground and through the air. I saw Jeune actually worked into the rotation v. UNC.

JT is a star and should be a household name soon.

But I think the O-Line needs some more love. Those guys are playing well up front - but have an even higher ceiling.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Turns out we've got some good ABs. Perkins has been very good with the ball in his hands, playing with serious aggression. Zenon has turned his game up big time. Hill has always been a good all-around player. Snoddy ran like his pants were on fire.

Having big playmakers at WR is a treat - Smelter and Waller are a big part of why we've been so successful on the ground and through the air. I saw Jeune actually worked into the rotation v. UNC.

JT is a star and should be a household name soon.

But I think the O-Line needs some more love. Those guys are playing well up front - but have an even higher ceiling.

Agreed on OL play. Not only in the run game, but most impressively in pass protection. Even though JT has made a lot of plays on the run, the OL is still giving him a true pocket at times, and effectively moving the pocket when we roll out.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Who's going to be our "Smelter" next year?

We won't have one. Instead, passes to the WRs will be distributed fairly evenly for the 1st-3rd spots. Summers will be on the field the most. After him, it will be a dogfight between Jeune, Messick, and the incoming guys: Howell, Philpott, and Singleton.

I think Singleton may be the best overall athlete in that group. Philpott has the most speed. Howell is the traditional GT receiver: tall, stout, and dominant at the point of attack. Jeune has obviously seen the field the most. Messick is an impressive athlete who probably has the block of the year (v. Tulane).

jeffgt14

I don't want to start a new thread for this since there's already a million, but why do we keep going for 2 before we have to? I think it's safe to assume that if we would've just kicked extra points, maybe our D would've tried to be a little more stout and just given up a FG to tie at the end. They basically completely gave up once UNC got in FG range since we were only up by 1.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to start a new thread for this since there's already a million, but why do we keep going for 2 before we have to? I think it's safe to assume that if we would've just kicked extra points, maybe our D would've tried to be a little more stout and just given up a FG to tie at the end. They basically completely gave up once UNC got in FG range since we were only up by 1.

We didn't go for 2 until the 4th Quarter, 37-42. The 2pt conversion would have allowed a FG to tie. The next time we scored, 43-42, the 2pt would have achieved would have gotten back to them not being able to beat us with a FG.