"The offense seemed completely befuddled and directionless."

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
We've heard variations of this several times this past week, but this quote wasn't about GT. It was about Oregon (when they lost to Stanford last year):

ESPN: Instant analysis: Stanford 17, Oregon 14

How about "The coach's stubbornness cost us another game."?

12 Pac Review: This loss is on Kelly

GT may have self-inflicted many wounds on Thursday, but a good defense can give any (high-scoring) offense problems, even in their home stadium. Just something to consider.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
They do the same thing we do, out of shotgun. If where the QB/Center exchange takes place matters so much to you, you probably should just root for them.

That's why I smh and laugh when I read posts like ATL1. Oregon and us are running the same concepts. One just prefer to be under center

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Oregon does not run the same offense as Tech.
They share some base concepts but they dont run the same scheme or the same formation. They pass 43% of the time and run uptempo. So actually they don`t run the same offense. To say all they do differently is run their plays from the gun is ignorant, a gross simplification, and inaccurate.

Here is a link that can further illustrate many of the differences in Oregon's offense to GT`s: http://fishduck.com/the-chip-kelly-...utorial-the-inside-zone-read/#!prettyPhoto/0/

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Oregon does not run the same offense as Tech.
They share some base concepts but they dont run the same scheme or the same formation. They pass 43% of the time and run uptempo. So actually they don`t run the same offense. To say all they do differently is run their plays from the gun is ignorant, a gross simplification, and inaccurate.

Here is a link that can further illustrate many of the differences in Oregon's offense to GT`s: http://fishduck.com/the-chip-kelly-...utorial-the-inside-zone-read/#!prettyPhoto/0/
All Oregon's offense is is a different variation of the same Spread Option that GT runs. Comparing the two offenses is like comparing the run-it-down-your-throat pro-style offense of Stanford or Wisconsin to the more pass-happy pro-style offense of the New England Patriots. Both are pro-style offenses, but they are still just different variations of the same offense.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
And they got beat by Stanford not a bad VT team

I think most unbiased experts would consider Stanford and VT both to have top 5 defenses. They have a ton of talent, are extremely well-coached, and play with a lot of discipline. Regardless of how bad VT's offense sux, that's not what we're concerned about. We're upset because they stopped our "inferior" offense and many are comparing us to the gold standard of Oregon. Well here's a shining example of how great defenses have a way of making great offenses look mediocre. Even the mighty Oregon looked totally out of rhythm to the point that their own fans were questioning the coach (sound familiar?).

ATL1, your bias is showing. Do you honestly think that Oregon would have had the success they did with Tevin Washington at quarterback? What if they had BJ Bostic and Tony Zenon carrying the ball instead of LaMichael James and De'Anthony Thomas? Hell no! They have a great offensive scheme, for sure, but they also have Nike money, a unique brand, and more speed than any team in the country.

As far as fun to watch, that's completely a matter of opinion. Navy was my favorite non-GT team to watch for years because I enjoyed PJ's offense so much when it is executed properly. If there's any team that runs a boring offense, it's Alabama, but I don't think their fans are complaining too much about that.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I didn't make the comparison poodleface did. I agree there are apples and oranges. It's other posters I'm correcting. Sorry I can't agree with you on watching Navy, they are borderline unwatchable to me, with the exception of the Army game. As far as the talent gap of GT to Oregon, well that again is a function of coaching. I know it's lost some luster but I put GT brand against Oregon's any day.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sorry I can't agree with you on watching Navy, they are borderline unwatchable to me...
This is the cause and underlying current in every single one of your posts and it's why nobody takes you seriously around here. It's ok to have an opinion contrary to the group. However, when it's obvious that this opinion colors every post you make, it gets quite tiresome for the group.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I remember Jesse Palmer saying that VT has the best defense in the country hands down...I hope he's right

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I get just as many likes on my post as anyone else. So someone agrees with me at least some of the time. Further more when have I EVER said I liked his offense? I don't. I question his play calling, clock management, and recruiting skills too. Much of the criticism is Deserved. My question is why this board harbors so many CPJ "Apologist", with a record thats underserving of his contract.

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
My main point was that even the best offenses with highly ranked talent can be stuffed by an effective defense. And even Chip Kelly's unquestioned success spurred doubt after a single loss.

IMO, it's one thing to argue that GT's offense is boring and another thing to argue that it is not effective. The defenses that have slowed it down in the past would have slowed down any offense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I get just as many likes on my post as anyone else. So someone agrees with me at least some of the time. Further more when have I EVER said I liked his offense? I don't. I question his play calling, clock management, and recruiting skills too. Much of the criticism is Deserved. My question is why this board harbors so many CPJ "Apologist", with a record thats underserving of his contract.

One primary confusing of apples and oranges which frequently occurs and is reflected in your posts, imo, is the confusion of CPJ's offense and his record in recent years. As I've posted in other threads, our offense has been statistically very good and improving over the last few years. Last year, we had the best offense in the conference in pts/drive against conference foes.

It seems to me that anybody who takes the time to watch our games would know that the driver of our losses was primarily defense, and CPJ took efforts to correct that.

So, I would still be interested to know if you have a rational basis for correlating CPJ's offense with his record.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
AE 87, seriously don't feed his trolling.

Do you actually expect to carry a rational conversation with a bigot? His antipathy for CPJ and his offense (like anyone's antipathy can become) has hardened into irrational prejudice. It is the same as any other kind of prejudice.

He has demonstrated this long enough on the site that the rest of us need to just carry on our rational adult conversations and let him hear crickets chirping when he is being provocative and venting bile.

gtdrew

Banned
ATL1, I suspect that your alter-ego is WaCoJacket, and that you picked a new name on this board to avoid the stigma that your old name carries. You not liking the offense isn't grounds to fire CPJ. As far as your opinion on his coaching ability, I'll remind you that recruiting at Georgia Tech is tougher than 95% of schools in the nation. And I know this is where you say "bu-bu-bu Stanford!" Well, Stanford, as I'll remind you, has english, humanities, and various other majors that, while challenging, DO NOT REQUIRE COLLEGE ATHLETES TO PASS CALCULUS. This is a bigger deal than you think. I know this because JR Lemon, someone I've known since the fifth grade, told me exactly that as to why he chose Stanford. So don't tell me that Stanford and GT are on equal recruiting footing. They aren't. I don't understand why you're even a Georgia Tech fan. I assume based upon the level of intelligence you show on most of your posts here that you aren't an alum, so why don't you do us all a favor and go bother the posters on oregon or stanford's website?

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's avoid the ad hominem attacks guys...

In regards to clock management, I thought that was handled perfectly in the first half of the UNC game, since we managed to not only score but leave them only 30 seconds before we received the ball for the 2nd half. Being able to utilize a passing option (even if we don't use it as much as other schools) makes that possible. Does that mean that CPJ is perfect at managing the clock? Not necessarily, but it seems most of ATL1's criticisms are on an upward trend.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I don't remember ever seeing evidence that CPJ was anything but fantastic at managing the clock. When we have had late game critical situations that broke down it was by not getting first downs not because he failed to manage the clock well. So I could see criticizing his play-calling just based on results from time to time. Les Miles is pretty famously bad at clock management but I will always recall fondly how CPJ let UGA score unimpeded that time in order to get the ball back for one last chance to tie. Richt rightly admitted to getting outcoached on that one.

gtdrew

Banned
Sorry. I shouldn't have gotten personal. I get tired of certain people criticizing without offering possible ideas for solutions on how to fix said problem, or without understanding what the problem is..