The New Pandemic: Roughing The Passer

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If these dumb rules are to continue then we should just do away with tackling QBs altogether and say once a defender is within 3 feet the QB is down. Or make it one hand touch or some dumb rule like that. But you already can’t really hit them, so what does it matter if you actually slowly drag them to he ground vs touching them?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
NFL discussion on Roughing the Passer

"Because the act of passing often puts the quarterback (or any other player attempting a pass) in a position where he is particularly vulnerable to injury, special rules against roughing the passer apply."
I just checked the discussion and, as I suspected, there is not scintilla of evidence to support the claim that QBs or other players in the act of passing are more susceptible to injury. Sort of like rules against cut blocking downfield, this seems to be supported by "common sense"; i.e. by pretty much nothing at all.

There's no reason for the rule, iow.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Both NFL plays
100% agree on Brady. Not on Carr, he was still looking downfield getting ready to pass, had not started a passing motion but that’s not required in the NFL rule. He stepped up in the pocket still looking to throw when Jones hit him from behind on his right side. That’s the interpretation problem. Jones really couldn’t do any more as he took the ball with his right hand and did use his left hand to try and lessen the impact with the ground. Now all that would be hard for the ref to see real time as he is behind the play. NFL will keep protecting QBs regardless.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
1665570872655.png

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Sylvain unfortunately did land on him hard.I know it is VERY hard to hold off when you are judged on success by sacks but its a new different world now. Just like leading/hitting with your helmet.For yrs it was THE way to tackle.But not now. Look at hi school scores--65-43, 51-35 etc.Nobody can tackle. btw--We are going to be really hurt when Charlie Thomas gets another head crash penalty and sits out a whole game.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Sylvain unfortunately did land on him hard.I know it is VERY hard to hold off when you are judged on success by sacks but its a new different world now. Just like leading/hitting with your helmet.For yrs it was THE way to tackle.But not now. Look at hi school scores--65-43, 51-35 etc.Nobody can tackle. btw--We are going to be really hurt when Charlie Thomas gets another head crash penalty and sits out a whole game.
Sylvain left his feet to hit him. It was a clean hit. Unless you know of a way to defy gravity, he was going to come down to earth once he left his feet. Since the Duke QB was between him and the ground, he was going to land on the QB. It was a bad call.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sylvain left his feet to hit him. It was a clean hit. Unless you know of a way to defy gravity, he was going to come down to earth once he left his feet. Since the Duke QB was between him and the ground, he was going to land on the QB. It was a bad call.
I think it was a horrible call. I love hitting the QB hard and often. However, I will admit that Sylvain could have avoided the call by not bringing his full body weight down on him, driving him into the ground. It's football, but it is called excessive today. Sylvain lets him go on the way down and braces with his arms and there's no call and the QB still gets hit hard. That's just my opinion.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I think it was a horrible call. I love hitting the QB hard and often. However, I will admit that Sylvain could have avoided the call by not bringing his full body weight down on him, driving him into the ground. It's football, but it is called excessive today. Sylvain lets him go on the way down and braces with his arms and there's no call and the QB still gets hit hard. That's just my opinion.
Fair enough. I watched it again and he does put his weight on him. I still think it is a clean hit, but now there is too much sensitivity on not hurting the QB.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Spearing was fun; that's how I was taught to block and tackle and it worked just fine. But this is about the only one of the "prevent injury" rules that actually has evidence behind it and makes sense. The number of neck injuries, some severe, was a major problem and met Tukey's Interoccular Trauma Test (the results hit you right between the eyes). The others don't.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Thoughts on all of this from the last 3 days?

Seems like the rule is the problem, possibly compounded by poor enforcement of the rules in some cases?

The guy stripped the ball before the Raiders QB made a passing motion. If the QB is stripped of the ball, there is no pass; therefore, there is no passer to be “roughed”.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Maybe a flying clothesline into the QB‘s body would be a way to avoid the BS roughing calls on blindside hits. They’ve turned one of the most exciting plays in fb And one of the best plays a defensive player can make into a huge liability that can cost your team bigtime.

Gray Fox

GT Athlete
On player safety fouls, Officials are getting directed by the conference and NCAA to throw the flag if there’s a sliver of uncertainty. That’s the opposite direction on other fouls (hold your flag if you’re unsure). It’s a point of emphasis the last few seasons. They will never be reprimanded for questionable flags thrown re player safety. However they will get dinged heavily if it turned out to be a foul and a flag was not thrown. Like any profession you’re going to do things that ensure your job is secure. Officials are just following direction from above.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Spearing was fun; that's how I was taught to block and tackle and it worked just fine. But this is about the only one of the "prevent injury" rules that actually has evidence behind it and makes sense. The number of neck injuries, some severe, was a major problem and met Tukey's Interoccular Trauma Test (the results hit you right between the eyes). The others don't.
I knocked myself out cold making a spear tackle once. I remember lining him up as he came around the end and it was just the two of us. I was determined to stop him and took a full head of steam as I launched at his mid-section with my head. I then remember looking up at the sky with a bunch of people standing around me with worried expressions. Evidently I was out for a minute or so. It was how it was taught when I learned to play in the 70s.

I can definitely see stopping spearing as I could have been seriously hurt. But falling on the QB...what makes him such a special butterfly that he can't even be tackled like everyone else? I think we are heading to flag football where you have to block with your hands held behind you and no leaving your feet to catch a pass...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Spearing has always been illegal. At least since my dad played football back in the 50's. It's dangerous and was a rule to protect the tackler. We were taught to lead with our forehead/facemask, which means your eyes are up and facing your opponent. Drive the top of your facemask into the chest or torso and wrap and pull. That's not spearing. Spearing is hitting with the top of your helmet, with your face towards the ground. Using your head as a battering ram will lead to damage to your spine.