The NCAA and transfer waivers

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...ford-ncaa-transfer-waiver-20190424-story.html

I know this about a former uga player but this is messed up. The NCAA needs to get their crap together. They're denying players who have legitimate reasons to transfer and accepting others who just whine about not playing or winning the job. This twitter post says it all.

upload_2019-4-25_10-12-10.png

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
It's ridiculous. I don't think they can correct it mid cycle like this. They are going to receive a lot of negative press about this and will surely be a black eye on the NCAA. I can see them cracking down NEXT YEAR, but c'mon, not granting waivers for these guys with legitimate reasons after letting Tate transfer because someone else better than him was transferring in is ludicrous.

Deleted member 2897

The grandmother thing I have a little less angst over, since its normal for 18 year olds to have grandparents in their 70s and beyond. When you have 4 grandparents, the odds are that 1 of them will have a health issue.

The one about the MOM with BRAIN CANCER is OBNOXIOUS. The NCAA can kiss my ***, your ***, and everyone else's ***.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA is incapable of impartially deciding on each individual waiver. Give everyone a free one and you sit and lose a year on the second one unless you have graduated. We are highly dependent on securing waivers for both football and hoops transfers next year.

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
For both of these cases the player was over the 100 mile radius from home rule. Not defending the NCAA here as Ford has no good options within that radius and the other player is barely outside it. But as far as it applies to our transfers, Ezzard is within that radius and Clayton is not.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
As I understand it, both of these players requested a waiver for medical hardship. The NCAA has basically been handing out change of condition waivers as long as the original school doesn't object. If they apply for a change of condition waiver, they might get it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's ridiculous. I don't think they can correct it mid cycle like this. They are going to receive a lot of negative press about this and will surely be a black eye on the NCAA. I can see them cracking down NEXT YEAR, but c'mon, not granting waivers for these guys with legitimate reasons after letting Tate transfer because someone else better than him was transferring in is ludicrous.

Unbalanced application of rules = litigation, litigation, litigation

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...ford-ncaa-transfer-waiver-20190424-story.html

I know this about a former uga player but this is messed up. The NCAA needs to get their crap together. They're denying players who have legitimate reasons to transfer and accepting others who just whine about not playing or winning the job. This twitter post says it all.

View attachment 5668
Ford could have transferred to Northwestern which is approximately 93 miles from Carterville, IL and been within the 100 mile radius. Also he could have moved down to FCS and transferred to Southern Ill which is only 10 miles away and would not have needed a waiver at all. So, apparently he had the ability to accomplish his stated goal and still comply with NCAA guidelines yet chose Ill.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The people in the NCAA really need to go to ref school. When I reffed soccer, I was taught that the most important thing (other than safety) was consistency. If a slight shove is a foul when one team does it, a slight shove needs to be a foul when the other team does it. The worst thing they could do after granting frivolous waivers is deny waivers that are more legitimate. When in a position to enforce rules, one of the easiest ways to piss off a large number of people is to enforce the rules unevenly. And those people are right to be angry. It’s better to be seen as weak or lenient than to be seen as corrupt.