The last play of GT-UT game

My friend from HS went to West Point and served in the army for 8 years after graduating. I congratulated him on the back to back wins against Navy, and their season. He said, "Glad for the wins, but man, that style of offense is boring to watch for me. Better than losing, I guess..."
I just don't understand why anyone would call it boring. I find it fascinating to watch, and when a RB breaks through for a long game, it's every bit as exciting as a long pass play.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I just don't understand why anyone would call it boring. I find it fascinating to watch, and when a RB breaks through for a long game, it's every bit as exciting as a long pass play.

I like our offense. For a while, I was super excited on what our offense could become with the RnS passing and our devastating option game. I'm realizing that what I thought we could become and what we are will never happen for us. That's OK, I still enjoy watching our offense because I enjoy watching the mechanics play out on game day, and seeing our guys spring for long runs.

However, I get why some wouldn't like this offense. Some people enjoy watching the passing game, or they enjoy a different style of offense. To each their own.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, me either. We routinely rank among US leaders in O plays of over 20 yards and we get easily as many yards on the ground as many teams get in the air.

I think the problem is that our O is designed to work instead of depending on highly skilled athletes in one-on-one situations. That means that to enjoy it you have to a) sort of know what is going on and b) like to watch Os that work like your watch. A whole lot of football fans aren't up to that. They want to watch "their" players out match the other side by skill alone so they can brag about how good their team is and talk about what a good athlete <your favorite feature player here> is and what he'll do in the pros. Frankly, I find that supremely boring myself, but I'm an old OL nerd who enjoys trying to figure out how plays work. And who loves to watch a team where the OLs actually, you know, hit people.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
My friend from HS went to West Point and served in the army for 8 years after graduating. I congratulated him on the back to back wins against Navy, and their season. He said, "Glad for the wins, but man, that style of offense is boring to watch for me. Better than losing, I guess..."
Unfortunate at how some of the military whines.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, me either. We routinely rank among US leaders in O plays of over 20 yards and we get easily as many yards on the ground as many teams get in the air.

I think the problem is that our O is designed to work instead of depending on highly skilled athletes in one-on-one situations. That means that to enjoy it you have to a) sort of know what is going on and b) like to watch Os that work like your watch. A whole lot of football fans aren't up to that. They want to watch "their" players out match the other side by skill alone so they can brag about how good their team is and talk about what a good athlete <your favorite feature player here> is and what he'll do in the pros. Frankly, I find that supremely boring myself, but I'm an old OL nerd who enjoys trying to figure out how plays work. And who loves to watch a team where the OLs actually, you know, hit people.

NFL offenses: Different uniforms doing the same things. I think I've watched 2 full games all season.

It's nice to watch some of the stuff Carolina and Kansas City is doing bringing some of the college schemes to the pro game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
They attempted three passes and completed one of them, for six yards.

Army completed 20 passes all season. Some teams complete that many passes in a half. To each their own.

At the end of the day, IMO, winning is the most important thing. But football and winning are like eating. There are many ways to get enough nourishment to stay alive. You can eat salad, steak, and potato every meal, every day, and it'll do what it needs to do. There are some that don't mind eating that every time all the time. Many others prefer variety for their meals, even though eating salad, steak, and potatos are going to achieve the same thing.

Just like nourishment, there are many ways to achieve the result of winning.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It is a bit scary that ARMY beat a team that beat us like rented mule.(dook) . And we say we have recruiting problems as excuse and yet they are getting it done
'18 will tell the tale on PJ, has GOT to come back from this debacle

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Here's a problem for PJ. He stays with TM in 2018 and doesn't give his next year starter any PT. He will have an inexperienced QB in 2019. He has a tendency to not play backups so he may make sure 2019 is his Swan song. Also will start to affect recruiting with a coach on the hot seat and end of contract looming. We need a really good year next year. I hope he can manage it. TQ needs to improve his passing for starters.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think everyone here needs to remember that there is only one "doubter" that counts: Stansbury. We do ok with season ticket sales and meeting budgets. We need more resources and, apparently, TS agrees. The seat doesn't get hot under Coach until he shows that he can't do more with the additional resources going forward. Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
We needed a really good year THIS year.
8-3 & an ACCCG berth would’ve silenced the doubters & haters for good. Instead, three plays turn it into a losing season and now the pressure has never been higher.
I do think if Tennessee would have beaten UT they would have gone 8-3. In my opinion that loss took something out of the 2017 Yellow Jackets.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
TQ needs to move to A-Back.
No way, Jose. TM will have the inside track, but, even if he gets beat out (possible, but not, imho, likely), he'll stay at QB due to game experience. He does need to improve his throwing, but that will depend on development at WR. He threw the ball pretty well in high school, but he needs more short routes to get better (and a lot less slop on the field). His long game is already where we want it.

If we were going to move anybody to AB, it'd be Benson, again imho; I have always thought he'd be a killer out on the edge. But all that will be sorted out in spring.

Animal02

Banned
Here's a problem for PJ. He stays with TM in 2018 and doesn't give his next year starter any PT. He will have an inexperienced QB in 2019. He has a tendency to not play backups so he may make sure 2019 is his Swan song. Also will start to affect recruiting with a coach on the hot seat and end of contract looming. We need a really good year next year. I hope he can manage it. TQ needs to improve his passing for starters.
The mentality of putting back ups in when the game is still on the line is just asinine. And in college ball, being up 21 points in the fourth, the game is still on the line. You play your best players AT THE TIME to win the game, not to get practice for the next year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I do think if Tennessee would have beaten UT they would have gone 8-3. In my opinion that loss took something out of the 2017 Yellow Jackets.
I suspect that if Johnson goes into 2018 with nobody able to displace Marshall we should get ready for some Army-Navy football: a lot less triple option, a lot more midlne (Josh Nesbitt style) and a bunch more QB run calls. The good news is that we would pass twice as much as Army.
The mentality of putting back ups in when the game is still on the line is just asinine. And in college ball, being up 21 points in the fourth, the game is still on the line. You play your best players AT THE TIME to win the game, not to get practice for the next year.
Well, if a coach lacks the confidence to get some of his depth in the game with a three-score lead in the last quarter, find another coach. One doesn;t empty the bench, but subs selectively to get game experience ... while winning. Anybody can get playing time in a blowout loss.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I suspect that if Johnson goes into 2018 with nobody able to displace Marshall we should get ready for some Army-Navy football: a lot less triple option, a lot more midlne (Josh Nesbitt style) and a bunch more QB run calls. The good news is that we would pass twice as much as Army.

Well, if a coach lacks the confidence to get some of his depth in the game with a three-score lead in the last quarter, find another coach. One doesn;t empty the bench, but subs selectively to get game experience ... while winning. Anybody can get playing time in a blowout loss.
(y)