The Key To Beating Duke

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Been discussed but they want to run an incredibly conservative offense with inside zone reads and bubble/tunnel screens so they don't have to ask much of their QB. Stop those and get a lead and IMHO you will see them unable to stretch the field.

this is one game where I actually don't think pressure is what we need. Certainly run blitz but the keep everything in front, don't let them have big plays approach is likely good here. If you give up a first down so be it but don't let them get a rythm running that zone read or break a big tunnel screen on us. If the offense can score the first couple of times they get the ball then that will be the best pressure on Duke to try to catch up.

The longer they hang around and can play conservative, the happier they are.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer

Our LBs might be slow and might not aggressive but they are not the problem. We've been blessed with great linebackers in the CPJ era so we will always compare every LB to the ones of the past, (Jefferson, Burnett, Sylvester, Watts, Nealy) I understand the frustration with how they play conservative and don't blitz, but I really feel like last week will change CTR's philosophy. I can't wait for the Duke game, we owe them one BIG time.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Do you mean that turnovers don't correlate for games to be played or that turnovers don't correlate for games which have been played? I think you only mean for future games.

I agree future turnovers tend to regress to the mean, mostly for fumbles and less so for interceptions. I may have it backward but after the 2014 season we talked a lot about this particular subject and the strong regression to the mean. We were really good (lucky) in 2014 with turnovers and that, in hindsight, was one of the keys to the season. (Ga Southern, Pitt, ......)

I just googled this as well. All the data I saw was correlating turnover margin and winning percentage, on a whole season basis. That appears flawed to me for a number of reasons. I have to believe that, in any given game, there is a correlation between turnover margin and winning that particular game. For Tech, where there are so few possessions, I would have to think that correlation would only be strengthened.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Please speak to the lowest common denominator about this. I'd love to know what you're talking about, sir. :)

IIuc, 20 refers to an offensive set of 2 RBs and no (0) tight ends. 11 refers to an offensive set featuring 1 RB and 1 TE. Each set would then use 3 receivers.

I think he's saying that their primary rushing plays from these sets are a "counter" (misdirection from first steps) and "zone power" (which I guess is a dive play where zone blocking is augmented with a double team somewhere), just a guess.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
IIuc, 20 refers to an offensive set of 2 RBs and no (0) tight ends. 11 refers to an offensive set featuring 1 RB and 1 TE. Each set would then use 3 receivers.

I think he's saying that their primary rushing plays from these sets are a "counter" (misdirection from first steps) and "zone power" (which I guess is a dive play where zone blocking is augmented with a double team somewhere), just a guess.
Power pulls a G or T (or both) and hits an inside zone. Duke kills us with this play in 11 where the TE flexes to an offset fullback position

The te can block playside or block non playside so u cant key him. Its a staple of their offense in 3 wr sets.

And i love the plays off it. Wish we could adopt some of it. It would fit pauls offense in 3wr sets

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Navy, does every team have its own mean ?
The mean would seem to be = f @(dependent on players, players coached up, style of defense)?

Perhaps the new offenses have cut down on turn overs.

I like the VT defense and special teams as they have built in swagger . I wonder how our mean and their mean compare over coaches tenure.

That makes sense. Tomorrow, I'll go find the old post because there was a lot of good stuff in there. At least I thought so. And I don't like doing things twice ...... but the mean for a team would probably be the interception rate I would guess. But my guesses are often wrong .......

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Power pulls a G or T (or both) and hits an inside zone. Duke kills us with this play in 11 where the TE flexes to an offset fullback position

The te can block playside or block non playside so u cant key him. Its a staple of their offense in 3 wr sets.

And i love the plays off it. Wish we could adopt some of it. It would fit pauls offense in 3wr sets

I haven't paid enough attention to Duke's O to know, but are you sure that Power isn't actually a Gap blocking rather than Zone? It sounds like they're giving the appearance of zone but using the pulling OL to open a particular gap. (I'm working with only weak grasp of rudimentary concepts)

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

Sirk killed us with those plays. They like to run the follow from the 11 set when the TE doesn't block to the playside. When the D puts numbers inside to stop it they go play action where we often leave a WR uncovered because we are looking in the backfield.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sirk killed us with those plays. They like to run the follow from the 11 set when the TE doesn't block to the playside. When the D puts numbers inside to stop it they go play action where we often leave a WR uncovered because we are looking in the backfield.

Exactly. Its bread and butter

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Been discussed but they want to run an incredibly conservative offense with inside zone reads and bubble/tunnel screens so they don't have to ask much of their QB. Stop those and get a lead and IMHO you will see them unable to stretch the field.

this is one game where I actually don't think pressure is what we need. Certainly run blitz but the keep everything in front, don't let them have big plays approach is likely good here. If you give up a first down so be it but don't let them get a rythm running that zone read or break a big tunnel screen on us. If the offense can score the first couple of times they get the ball then that will be the best pressure on Duke to try to catch up.

The longer they hang around and can play conservative, the happier they are.
Are you saying bend-don't-break is a good thing???

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Are you saying bend-don't-break is a good thing???

I am not sticking my toe in the pool around that description overall. What I am saying is that for Duke, they generally don't have an offense capable of marching down the field by stringing together 10 or more plays (assuming we can manage their inside zone read plays). They need explosion plays off of a missed assignment / tackle/ whatever mistake to make things happen for them. If we are very aggressive with blitzing it is likely we will make a mistake somewhere that can / will lead to an explosion play for them. Doesn't mean you don't run blitz some or otherwise jam the gaps they want to run to - but they will run that bubble screen right behind the blitz fairly routinely.

Having seen this QB in 3 games, I don't think he can sit back and pick a defense apart. I would make him prove it first before I went after him.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I am not sticking my toe in the pool around that description overall. What I am saying is that for Duke, they generally don't have an offense capable of marching down the field by stringing together 10 or more plays (assuming we can manage their inside zone read plays). They need explosion plays off of a missed assignment / tackle/ whatever mistake to make things happen for them. If we are very aggressive with blitzing it is likely we will make a mistake somewhere that can / will lead to an explosion play for them. Doesn't mean you don't run blitz some or otherwise jam the gaps they want to run to - but they will run that bubble screen right behind the blitz fairly routinely.

Having seen this QB in 3 games, I don't think he can sit back and pick a defense apart. I would make him prove it first before I went after him.
As long as we don't vacate gaps they plan on running to like GSU did on that first 4th and goal td. I still can't believe that. We had a guy right in the spot the guy ran to, but he slanted in on the snap and there was a hole you could drive through where he used to be.

It still burns me that we gave up 14 points on 4th down.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the key here is easy: make them one dimensional. They don't throw that well and their D is not all that good. They do a fair job power running, however.

Or, to put it another way, they're Vandy. If we play as well as we did then, then we should win, albeit perhaps by a lower score. I thought it was obvious that Vandy hadn't played a spread option team recently and that gave us an advantage. Puke knows where we are coming from, but, if we can get them to run more and do a decent job on D, I think we will get a good result.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think the key to Duke is to get a fast start. Fast tempo right out of the gate, get it to midfield, attack and get points on the board early. If they do a decent job running, they will burn the clock down for us.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I haven't paid enough attention to Duke's O to know, but are you sure that Power isn't actually a Gap blocking rather than Zone? It sounds like they're giving the appearance of zone but using the pulling OL to open a particular gap. (I'm working with only weak grasp of rudimentary concepts)

Power is a pulling ol to the gap. You still can have the dl double team to next level you see in inside zone. It has a ton of zone blocking with how you can seal the end and roll the blocking to the next level. For instance the tackle in power will often double Dt before going to the second level like you do in zone, the pulling OL kicks out the DE that the tackle didnt block since he has a great angle to seal that hole. If you pull both the ol and the hback then they can zone the de seal block and the hback can go to the second level with the OT that blocked down on the dt; both work to the lb and s on that side of the box.

Its one of my favorite run plays no doubt and a staple of a physical offense