The Hurry Up Offense

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
I was more like a 4.5 minute drill, but GT did a good job driving the ball 80 yards into the end zone just before the end of the first half against UNC. That was with only one timeout, IIRC.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I've wondered this for a few years. I think we could make it work by signalling the plays in from the sidelines, but it would cause problems for us on defense. I'm not sure scoring more quickly is something we need to be doing until we can get a few more stops. We've had stretches in the past few years where we score in less than six plays, but then our D is right back on the field looking totally gassed.

The #1 thing that would make this team better is to get the defensive PPG around 20 or less.

If we had a defense that gave up like 19 PPG, we'd win 9 or 10 games every year with this offense. We gave up 22 PPG against FBS opponents this year, but the stat is a big misleading. When we played anything better than an average offense we gave up a ton of points. The good news is that we kept lesser opponents from scoring this year (which actually was a huge upgrade), but we need to extend that play to the games where we play a quality opponent.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
One of our biggest advantages is the ability to limit opposing teams possessions and rest our defense. If we went hurry up we negate both of those. We don't have the talent/depth to run with good teams in a high possession game. Our defense would get tired(UGA game), and our offense wouldn't necessarily be able to capitalize on every possession to keep up. The way we are now is great for our current talent base, as we limit possessions for both teams and limit the opportunities for us to **** up.

Exactly! About 40 years ago, I had the exact conversation with Pepper Rodgers. He explained the simplicity of the strategy." If you have more athletes than the opponent, then extend the game. If he has more than you, then shorten the game." I have observed the verity of this premise over decades since. It is the reason why Paul Johnson's offense is appropriate for the situation we find ourselves at Tech. Each year, we will find at least 6 teams on our schedule with more athletes. Our best chance for winning against those 6 is to shorten the game by running the clock.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Exactly! About 40 years ago, I had the exact conversation with Pepper Rodgers. He explained the simplicity of the strategy." If you have more athletes than the opponent, then extend the game. If he has more than you, then shorten the game." I have observed the verity of this premise over decades since. It is the reason why Paul Johnson's offense is appropriate for the situation we find ourselves at Tech. Each year, we will find at least 6 teams on our schedule with more athletes. Our best chance for winning against those 6 is to shorten the game by running the clock.
Makes sense... that's why no one likes it ;)

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
After watching #8 for FSU being gassed on the sidelines for the touchdown drive in the NC Title game. I think it could be very beneficial for Tech to implement it. We don't have to do it for a full game but to change the pace or if there is a need to score quickly. why not.

jeagt

Georgia Tech Fan
Our death marches have been just as good at tiring defenses out in the past. Doesn't matter whether we go up tempo or slow things down if our guys can't run the plays properly. Our 2 minute O definitely needs to improve, but lets not pretend running plays at a faster pace is somehow better then what we do.