The GT Top 10

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Wow, no love for Shumpert? I always felt like he was a victim of just being at GT at the wrong time. Loved how he burned Roy from recruiting to the court. He was always the one who got away

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, no love for Shumpert? I always felt like he was a victim of just being at GT at the wrong time. Loved how he burned Roy from recruiting to the court. He was always the one who got away

Honestly, I appreciate the stats and talent Shump had, but the fact Hewitt indulged his demands of playing PG was probably a huge factor of the Favors year not achieving more.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Teenage Jacket- here are a few of my favorites:
Shump
Brian Oliver(the more recent one)
Adam Smith
Lammers
No love for Gani Lawal here???? Loved that dude
Ron Wamer

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Price, Salley, and I were in the same incoming class.

In no particular order:
Salley
Price
Joseph
Forest
Kenny
Dennis
Jack
Bosh
Harpring
Barry (Jon & Drew as 1)

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Glad Buzz mentioned Drummer. He had the prettiest jump shot I have ever seen - bar none. And strong as a freaking bull.

I wish Youtube was around for some of his highlight plays

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Kenny Anderson: the final 4 run with Leathal Weapon 3 is what cemented my GT fandom. Remember opponents going after him physically because no one could stay in front of him. He'd get back up and abuse them again. That's the NY PG in him.

James Forrest: When he was on, he was just dominant. His ACC tournament run is probably one of the best GT performances by any player. That buzzer beater against USC? Still a "flashbulb moment" for me.

Matt Harpring: Warrior. That guy left everything he had on the floor every night, and carried us so many times. One of the most decorated players...not bad for a lightly recruited guard out of a small private school.

Jon Barry: Never saw a shot he didn't like, and had no regard for his welfare. Dude would launch his body into anything to save a possession. His brother Drew was the same way. Fun to watch, and those passes!

Tony Akins: Small guy who gave us a lot. Big part in helping Hewitt establish GT as a place to go for future classes.

Jarrett Jack: Mr. Facilitator! Watching him was fun, and delivered one of the biggest shots in GT history.

Stephon Marbury: Cockiness defined. You could tell he thought he was the best player on the court at all times...and he wasn't wrong the vast majority of the time.

Travis Best: Best probably goes down as one of the more underrated "stars" for GT. Rarely gets mentioned when the "big" names come up. Best and Forrest is easily one of the best duos to play at GT.

Clarence Moore: Ultimate glue guy. Did whatever was needed for GT. Played a bigger part in Hewitt's NCAA Final run than most give him credit for.

Marcus Georges Hunt: Wish Gregory found how to use MGH sooner as opposed to the last half of his senior year. I'm not sure MGH knew how good he could be. Could be dominant at times, but could also fall back and defer his teammates as well. I remember him fondly because he was so good, but was the ultimate teammate.

Honorable mention: Dennis Scott, Will Bynum, Luke "I got a posse" Schenscher, Alvin Jones, Ben Lammers, Ismael Muhammed, Josh Okogie, Malcom Mackey, Mario West

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Pablo Machado
Muhammad Faye
Paco Diaw
Martice Moore
Ed Nelson
Fred Vinson
Shawn Fein
David Nelson
Matt Causey
Kevin Morris

If you know these guys you know you’re a Tech hoops fan. Lol

Martice Moore was so good as a freshmen for us. Always shake my head at what could have been if he didn't transfer. Same goes for Ed Nelson.

GT11

GT Athlete
1. Rich Yunkus
2. Mark Price
3. Henry “Bruce” Dalrymple
4. Tom “The Truck” Hammonds
5. Travis Best
6. Duane Ferrell
7. Dennis Scott
8. Derrick Favors
9. Sammy Drummer
10. Lenny Horton
I ant to include Tico Brown

BraveandBold

Georgia Tech Fan
Kenny Anderson ( best Tech player ever)
Roger Kaiser (my idol growing up)
R. D . Craddock ( Mr. Clutch)
Rich Yunkus (silky smooth)
Jarrett Jack (great leader)
Karl Brown (insane defender)
Matt Harping (Mr. Hustle)
Phil Wagner ( tough, under appreciated)
Mark Price (Program trailblazer)
Dennis Scott (3D)

GT11

GT Athlete
Glad Buzz mentioned Drummer. He had the prettiest jump shot I have ever seen - bar none. And strong as a freaking bull.

I wish Youtube was around for some of his highlight plays
Drummer, Tico, and Horton were just as good off the court. Class people

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Kenny Anderson: the final 4 run with Leathal Weapon 3 is what cemented my GT fandom. Remember opponents going after him physically because no one could stay in front of him. He'd get back up and abuse them again. That's the NY PG in him.

James Forrest: When he was on, he was just dominant. His ACC tournament run is probably one of the best GT performances by any player. That buzzer beater against USC? Still a "flashbulb moment" for me.

Matt Harpring: Warrior. That guy left everything he had on the floor every night, and carried us so many times. One of the most decorated players...not bad for a lightly recruited guard out of a small private school.

Jon Barry: Never saw a shot he didn't like, and had no regard for his welfare. Dude would launch his body into anything to save a possession. His brother Drew was the same way. Fun to watch, and those passes!

Tony Akins: Small guy who gave us a lot. Big part in helping Hewitt establish GT as a place to go for future classes.

Jarrett Jack: Mr. Facilitator! Watching him was fun, and delivered one of the biggest shots in GT history.

Stephon Marbury: Cockiness defined. You could tell he thought he was the best player on the court at all times...and he wasn't wrong the vast majority of the time.

Travis Best: Best probably goes down as one of the more underrated "stars" for GT. Rarely gets mentioned when the "big" names come up. Best and Forrest is easily one of the best duos to play at GT.

Clarence Moore: Ultimate glue guy. Did whatever was needed for GT. Played a bigger part in Hewitt's NCAA Final run than most give him credit for.

Marcus Georges Hunt: Wish Gregory found how to use MGH sooner as opposed to the last half of his senior year. I'm not sure MGH knew how good he could be. Could be dominant at times, but could also fall back and defer his teammates as well. I remember him fondly because he was so good, but was the ultimate teammate.

Honorable mention: Dennis Scott, Will Bynum, Luke "I got a posse" Schenscher, Alvin Jones, Ben Lammers, Ismael Muhammed, Josh Okogie, Malcom Mackey, Mario West

Travis Best and Starbury not making my list is a testament to the last 40 years of GT Basketball but so is the fact that there aren't a dozen more.

Rzunz

Jolly Good Fellow
Travis Best and Starbury not making my list is a testament to the last 40 years of GT Basketball but so is the fact that there aren't a dozen more.
I was there with Sammy and Tico.
1. Mark Price
2. KA
3, Matt Harpring
4. Travis Best
5. 3D
6. JJ
7. BJ Elder
8. Bruce Dalrymple
9. MGH
10. Brian Oliver/James Forrest - couldn’t decide!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I loved watching Rich Yunkus....he was just unstoppable...and (iirc) Jim Thorne was the PG who led that team. That was a good and fun team to watch 'back in the day'. I'll never forget playing6th ranked Jacksonville when they had two 7 footers (Artis Gilmore was their stud) and were expected to compete for the national title....we lost 86-81 after leading at the half, but I think they were shocked that they could simply not stop Yunkus. He wound up with 36 points.

Last edited: