The Good Word - Micheal Summers

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
summers is not like waller or smelter. He is fast. He is not as prolific a go up and get the ball guy like waller and smelter was. Or thomas. We need to make sure we use him a bit in that way. He is not as big and physical but is the type of receiver to hit in stride and in space.

I think summers is the kind of guy you want to hit in stride on a skinny post. he is a come back receiver and a cross route guy. He will run the 9 and catch in stride. Back shoulder throws...i am sure he can do but won't ever be as good as the big body guys just for that reason. But we need to still keep this in our arsenal.

We have to find a way to use him slightly different in our O than a waller/smelter. Summers is not a guy IMO that you do a box out jump ball in the endzone. Instead you pass to a spot and let him run under it ( a true fade).

I expect that we will see this...his skillset is different from our traditional #1 receivers the past 7 years, and his body is too. So we need to use him that way too if he is our 1. He is the type that really is a more traditional receiver than the big body possession jump ball guy....

I am excited to see if this brings a different dynamic to the passing game. At the same time, we do have a few guys in the 6-3 6-4 mold that we may see take a big leap up in this O.
Well said.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
With Summers, we'll kind of see how a Dez White or Kelly Campbell would fare in our offense. And, as 33J said, those guys did different things than Thomas/Smelter/et al. But, I have to think the things that Dez and Kelly did are harder for a QB to be good at than the things Thomas and Smelter can do. It's not like Thomas, Smelter, Waller couldn't run a skinny post or a comeback or a crossing route or a go route and catch the ball in stride - All of them did that some. It's more that they could do that AND could out-physical a guy for a contested ball. That makes the QB's job a lot easier and makes it a lot tougher on a DB. So, in my mind, we are losing something in that respect. But, I'll wait and see what Summers and company can do before I totally categorize him.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
With Summers, we'll kind of see how a Dez White or Kelly Campbell would fare in our offense. And, as 33J said, those guys did different things than Thomas/Smelter/et al. But, I have to think the things that Dez and Kelly did are harder for a QB to be good at than the things Thomas and Smelter can do. It's not like Thomas, Smelter, Waller couldn't run a skinny post or a comeback or a crossing route or a go route and catch the ball in stride - All of them did that some. It's more that they could do that AND could out-physical a guy for a contested ball. That makes the QB's job a lot easier and makes it a lot tougher on a DB. So, in my mind, we are losing something in that respect. But, I'll wait and see what Summers and company can do before I totally categorize him.
I think that is a pretty rational approach.. It seems to me that we have been very fortunate in having Wideouts who could steak a spot in the endzone or past the marker and pull down throws in contested man coverage. It will be interesting to see how we shift to using our #1 guy as more of a spot throw type player. I think the transition will be helped by our A-back and B-back routes.. Typically the QB has to place the ball for them in a similar fashion.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We don't need to pass a lot more but we need to spread it around more.

I made this mistake in thinking we would be better off if we spread the ball around than having a true go to reliable WR after BayBay left. Won't make that mistake again. Hoping the WRs work hard this summer and for true #1 to emerge

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I made this mistake in thinking we would be better off if we spread the ball around than having a true go to reliable WR after BayBay left. Won't make that mistake again. Hoping the WRs work hard this summer and for true #1 to emerge
I think it's more important for the ABs to get involved as a second option than for another WR to step up. If the ABs are seen as a legitimate receiving threat it totally changes how the defense has to play them.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think it's more important for the ABs to get involved as a second option than for another WR to step up. If the ABs are seen as a legitimate receiving threat it totally changes how the defense has to play them.

FWIW, Orwin Smith had the most receptions for GT in 2012 and Robbie Godhigh in 2013. I would not be surprised to see Searcy, Snoddy, and Andrews used more in the passing attack this year. Here's another fun fact: we had more receptions/game, 7.6, in 2014 than in any year under CPJ (only 2013 had more attempts/game).

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

nothing wrong with having a alpha #1....but we do a solid job of threatening enough in our O with using the AB in the pass game....look at the big catches deon hill has made, snoddy, and guys like bostic....they keep a d honest no matter what....in our O 7 years of having an alpha #1 is the trend...just kinda expect it...and we keep D's on their heels still with the other guys