The Good Word: 5 Questions with D-Line Coach Mike Pelton

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Best synopsis on recruiting GT I've ever seen and I agree 100%:

PELTON: "Recruiting is identifying what you want in your program then going and finding it. Certain kids fit the profile here academically. You could say it limits you, but there are some good academic kids out there. You’ve just got to find them, and it’s got to be a mutual interest. Georgia Tech has a lot to offer. It’s just identifying them and then getting in and recruiting. We have some good kids here we recruited. A lot of them people didn’t want. You’ve got to go out and see what you like, and what you think fits your profile and go recruit it. The first thing I do is I look at them, then the next thing is transcript. What’s his transcript look like? Next thing you want to do is the background. You have to do all those things because here you have to find the guy that academics is just as important as football. You also want to get that kid that can come here and go beat Florida State. So it’s a combination, but once you’ve been here long enough, it’s just like anything. You know the rules, you know the terrain, you just have to go find it. And you’ve got to live with it. Recruiting is like rolling the dice, you don’t ever know if they’re going to turn out. Some of them are better than you thought, some of them are not as good as you thought. But that’s everywhere in the country. There are challenges but you know it’s going to be challenging everywhere you go."

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Well, on the DT situation--we have already helped ourselves A LOT in the last 6 mos.We now have TWO possible DTs (one in and one commit) that weigh OVER 300 lbs.There is no doubt--size matters.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I've finally got a chance to listen to the complete interview. It's worth a listen.

My take is that Pelton sounds more optimistic this year. He's using a lot of the same upbeat words as in past-interviews and the same words of caution as in previous interviews but it seems that the balance is more toward the upbeat than in the past.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
In '14, we had a whole slew of runningbacks, a and b, who made a career out of their final year. I'm hoping Francis has a similar epiphany.

There are two big differences IMO in comparing a Deon Hill to a Francis Kallon. The first is that a guy like Deon really wanted it, a guy like Synjyn really wanted it. That was clear before their senior year to me. 2014 was when it all came together, but the intangibles were already present. I haven't seen that from Francis - which is not a bad thing, he is a great student and has other interests besides football, and he doesn't owe the fans anything more than what he's done.

The other difference is that the 2014 A/B backs weren't thinking on the field when it came to their assignments and plays. They all had significant game experience not only at Tech, but throughout their football careers. Bostic had a really good freshman year, Days and Laskey had already played a lot in their careers, Deon Hill before his illness had some big plays, Zenon had the ball in his hands a decent amount before 2014, as did Perkins. It's hard for me to envision Francis just all of a sudden applying everything and not thinking out there and just snapping, when he has yet to even record a sack or TFL in his career. Could it happen? Of course. I just haven't seen or heard anything in the past four years that would give me much hope, other than 2011 recruiting rankings and scouting reports. I almost feel bad for the kid that people are still holding out hope that he's going to become a good/great/productive/contributing/however you want to phrase it football player, because that has to be some crazy pressure.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There are two big differences IMO in comparing a Deon Hill to a Francis Kallon. The first is that a guy like Deon really wanted it, a guy like Synjyn really wanted it. That was clear before their senior year to me. 2014 was when it all came together, but the intangibles were already present. I haven't seen that from Francis - which is not a bad thing, he is a great student and has other interests besides football, and he doesn't owe the fans anything more than what he's done.

The other difference is that the 2014 A/B backs weren't thinking on the field when it came to their assignments and plays. They all had significant game experience not only at Tech, but throughout their football careers. Bostic had a really good freshman year, Days and Laskey had already played a lot in their careers, Deon Hill before his illness had some big plays, Zenon had the ball in his hands a decent amount before 2014, as did Perkins. It's hard for me to envision Francis just all of a sudden applying everything and not thinking out there and just snapping, when he has yet to even record a sack or TFL in his career. Could it happen? Of course. I just haven't seen or heard anything in the past four years that would give me much hope, other than 2011 recruiting rankings and scouting reports. I almost feel bad for the kid that people are still holding out hope that he's going to become a good/great/productive/contributing/however you want to phrase it football player, because that has to be some crazy pressure.
You're not at practice. That's all I'm gonna say about that, don't ask.