The future!

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I've seen this said on other GT message boards and I'm just not buying it. Consider this: We end up 10-2 or 9-3 and fail to win the coastal due to a VT or Miami winning the head-to-head tiebreaker or having a better conference record. According to your sources, CPJ would be fired in this scenario. I think we'd be crazy to do so. It's too narrow a metric, IMO.

Instead, I think GT's contention for the ACC Coastal division will be one of many factors that will be considered by Bobinski at the end of the season. Others would most likely include our overall record, how competitive our team was on the field (especially in losses), and Bobinski's faith in PJ to find/sustain a winning program moving forward.

This is a very reasonable post. People who make statements like DaBuzz have no credibility and detract from the professionalism and decorum this board strives to attain. There is a very simple reason why this board is superior to others and why maintaining a certain level of reasonable discourse should be crucially important to this board: recruits and their families read and even participate on it!

Whether or not any specific coach, including CPJ, is loved/hated/splits opinion/on a hot seat or warm one . . . the recruits are the lifeblood and future of the program because the program we are all fans of will endure whether or not a head coach is retained at the end of any specific season.

The distinction I am making is important as we are fans of Tech football first and more so than fans or haters of a specific football coach. It has nothing to do with keeping honest discourse, realism, optimism, pessimism, wearing "gold-colored" glasses or drinking Kool Aid. It has to do with where and with whom and how one decides to express their opinions about the retention or firing of a head coach. Like Joe Ham said at the Macon Touchdown Club dinner "keep the dirty laundry" (that is the bitching and moaning) "in the family."

The head coach will be evaluated by the AD in a holistic approach where he weighs out all factors, including financial and donor issues we really have no way to make very educated guesses about. The same thing occurs as regards an AD from his boss the GT President. The reason that is a reasonable assumption to make is because it would be irresponsible to operate a program in any other manner; let alone manage anyone, anywhere, in any line of work in some other way.

How incredibly unprofessional would it be for your boss to tell some third party who then tells a fourth party who then tells the world in an internet forum that if you don't "win the title of national engineer of the year this year then" you will be fired?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I've seen this said on other GT message boards and I'm just not buying it. Consider this: We end up 10-2 or 9-3 and fail to win the coastal due to a VT or Miami winning the head-to-head tiebreaker or having a better conference record. According to your sources, CPJ would be fired in this scenario. I think we'd be crazy to do so. It's too narrow a metric, IMO.

Instead, I think GT's contention for the ACC Coastal division will be one of many factors that will be considered by Bobinski at the end of the season. Others would most likely include our overall record, how competitive our team was on the field (especially in losses), and Bobinski's faith in PJ to find/sustain a winning program moving forward.

i agree

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
For my part I rant and rave, especially after soul-crushing losses like the VT, Miami, and UGA games last year to my brother primarily and then a couple other Tech fan friends in person or on the phone. I get it all out. I don't give a fig if it then makes me appear like I wear gold-colored glasses when I later come on here and abstain from lighting torches and grabbing pitchforks. CPJ will be fired when the AD makes the decision that he should be fired. He will make that decision whether or not I vent my bile online.

I am not going to stop buying season tickets as a "protest" or do anything else that I think would impact the future of the program I love. I already know that I would still want to see every game, attend them, record them, sing the fight songs, and follow the recruits, commits, and players into their pro careers even if Bozo the Clown was the head coach and they lost every game 2 years straight (3 years might be pushing it :p) before an AD finally fired the chump.

By all means write Bobinski an email and give him your two cents. But I balk at spreading doubts (especially needlessly) into the minds of recruits and their family and friends that are our guests here. They should be recruited to the GT football program and the Institute first, and what Tech and its program has to offer them is bigger than anything that a specific head coach and his coaching regime has to offer.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Btw, I should add that I think this site is generally monitored in just such a professional and responsible fashion that takes into account the bigger picture. Eric even did so himself in a recruit's thread recently over some guy's trolling comment about a recruit looking like he would be a good slot receiver for the next coach.

I believe Eric has suggested before he would love to someday work professionally for Tech recruiting in some capacity. Also featured members like Cuse are building budding sports journalism kind of hobbies/potential careers for themselves and actually giving the board members here extra insight into the program by earning some level of media access. This is possible because of the restraint and moderation shown by the board members overall in a forum where they are in contact with the real future of the program, which is not with any coach but is with the student-athletes recruited to play in it.

It is in producing and managing just such a decorous board that Eric could someday help to get that Athletic Department job (If I remember correctly that he dreams of this) and that Cuse can get those press credentials to keep bringing board members unique and valuable content.

Ok, I am done with my soap-boxing, it was a "3-poster." Back to the regularly scheduled thread discussion.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting a top talent passing QB is more of a option-based offense problem than a college football talent gap issue.
I say this in reference to the MAC, they have had a lot of NFL QB's come out of that conference.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. In any case, I just want to enjoy this football season with a total disregard for consequences to the HC, either way. That drama will not enhance my fan experience in the least bit.

very well stated. I too am weary of drama. furthermore, churning coaches without addressing other systemic issues is a recipe for disaster. I happen to think that our former and previous coaches are/were good coaches. while frustrated with our "plateau" of success over the last decade, I think CPJ is striving for improvement in areas of deficiency. And I'm not generally considered a "gold colored glasses" kind of guy. the best thing for our program is success with the current regime. And a good transition plan when he decides to move on.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Recruiting a top talent passing QB is more of a option-based offense problem than a college football talent gap issue.
I say this in reference to the MAC, they have had a lot of NFL QB's come out of that conference.
You are correct in your mention of the MAC but maybe we should ask Chan how hard it is.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Or BSU how hard it is ... Kellen Moore.
Just saying ... we're not getting the attention of the top passers just because we are GT.
And I agree with some of the earlier comments about CPJ addressing deficiencies, but I'm just a little low on CPJ confidence right now.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For the record, is there a certain end-zone section (215?) that many of the GTSwarm are booking? I am about to get my season tickets and would like to sit with/near GTSwarm over some high school band! I have had season tickets a few years ago, have gone to virtually every game for years, but now, my son is at GT and I may need to ride solo into the stadium a few times.

I have Swarm tickets in 217. I'm looking forward to increased energy of the fans over the prime seats I was in last year. My wife got up tight when I was yelling and everyone else was sitting. So she'd happy too that we are moving....... we are planning to go to 2 games and my daughter some of the others. I'll give away tickets rather than not have them be used! GTAA is adding a lot of perqs for season ticket holders. If anyone wants to talk to the GTAA to get tickets, call Jessica Martin at (404) 385-0325.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
When CPJ first got here, the thought was that dual threat QBs would come here because other schools wouldn't want them at QB. With the proliferation of the spread option in the college football landscape, and OC's beginning to favor mobile QBs because defenses have become so fast and athletic, it has actually worked against us because dual threat QBs have more schools to choose from now. Heck, even David Cutcliffe at Duke favors the dual threat QBs now.

GTs best seasons in the recent past have coincided with QBs that ran some option or had the ability to run. Shawn Jones, Joe Ham, Reggie ball when we went to the ACCCG under Gailey, Nesbitt. GT has had a pretty good history of recruiting some good dual threat QBs even if some of them didn't pan out for some reason.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wish we could spend the extra $0.8M and get that package.

Dabo+Morris>CPJ

I don't agree at all. I think CPJ > Dabo + Morris. That is based on Dabo only being a recruiter for a "Clemson" type of school. As they say in South Carolina, Clemson is where the rednecks turn Orange in the fall. I think when you are selling academics and big city, you need someone with a different personality. Dabo is a great guy (awful strategy coach) and a good fit for Clemson. Clemson has the talent to win the ACC a lot but hasn't much .... only once in 2011 in the last 23 years.

As far as replacing CPJ, we are 20% likely to get a better coach, 30% likely to stay the same and 50% likely to get worse. Economics may force us to roll the dice, but CPJ is beating the status quo. http://gtswarm.com/threads/70-years-of-gt-football-–-odds-of-getting-a-better-coach-than-cpj.2524/

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember, CPJ is his own OC, so you have to buy two coaches if you replace him. What two high quality coaches, one being a HC and the other being an OC, are you gonna buy for 2.5 mil? Just for reference, Dabo + Morris = 3.3

That's not an entirely fair comparison. Morris is one if the highest paid OCs in the country.

Loeffler at Virgina Tech was just hired this year and makes $400k. That's about where we'd have to be.