The Future Potential of CPJ's Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Stole this from another board Great write up on CPJ's offense at his former stops in Georgia Southern & Navy. A lot of Run & Shoot plays, I can see why he is sticking with Vad more by watching this. Maybe by looking in the past we can anticipate the future, well I hope.

Very long but complete half:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Apart from 2010, we've had one of the most productive and efficient offenses in ncaa. I don't want us to change until it makes us better.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Apart from 2010, we've had one of the most productive and efficient offenses in ncaa. I don't want us to change until it makes us better.

Although I want to agree with this... Its debatable. We have cracked the Top 20 in Total Offense just once during the CPJ era. That was in 2009.
When Friedgen was here we were much more efficient offensively IIRC. But either way its much better that the Gailey era.
However, we are ranked in the Top 5 in rushing almost every year but this is due larger to the fact that we run the ball 85% of the time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Although I want to agree with this... Its debatable. We have cracked the Top 20 in Total Offense just once during the CPJ era. That was in 2009.
When Friedgen was here we were much more efficient offensively IIRC. But either way its much better that the Gailey era.
However, we are ranked in the Top 5 in rushing almost every year but this is due larger to the fact that we run the ball 85% of the time.

We run significantly fewer possessions than many, probably most, teams ranked ahead of us. Consequently, yds/gm and pts/gm are not as indicative of the efficiency of our offense as per possession would be,

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
We run significantly fewer possessions than many, probably most, teams ranked ahead of us. Consequently, yds/gm and pts/gm are not as indicative of the efficiency of our offense as per possession would be,

I completely understand what you are saying. But regretfully I don't agree that our offense is as efficient as you suggest. Not only is this portrayed in Total Offense but in results in the Win column.

I will say that it has the capability to be unstoppable if executed correctly. Like it was in 2009. Which in turn lead to an 11 win season.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Just because we run 85% of the time does not guarantee we are top 5 or even top 10 in rushing. We are top 5 because we run 85% of the time and for the most part it works. Would I like to see more passing? Only if it helps us win. Winning is the goal, not passing more.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Just because we run 85% of the time does not guarantee we are top 5 or even top 10 in rushing. We are top 5 because we run 85% of the time and for the most part it works. Would I like to see more passing? Only if it helps us win. Winning is the goal, not passing more.

You are correct. It doesn't guarantee anything. However when you don't pass the ball much then you are going to be ranked low in pass rankings, like we are consistently. Between #110 and last. Thus running the ball 85% of the time you have no where to go but up in the rush rankings. We have been in the Top 10 in rushing every year CPJ has been here and yet we have only produced a Top 20 offense 1 time and that was in 2009.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
You are correct. It doesn't guarantee anything. However when you don't pass the ball much then you are going to be ranked low in pass rankings, like we are consistently. Between #110 and last. Thus running the ball 85% of the time you have no where to go but up in the rush rankings. We have been in the Top 10 in rushing every year CPJ has been here and yet we have only produced a Top 20 offense 1 time and that was in 2009.
I am missing your point about passing. Would passing more move us up in the pass ratings? Probably, but it might move us down in offense because we are not very good at it yet. I think CPJ would like to pass more, but we have some pieces missing right now?

Passing is not a magic pill we can take to move us into the top 20 in offense, at this point it would probably have the opposite effect. I think we all want the same thing and that is to win. I trust CPJ will pass more when it will help us win.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I am missing your point about passing. Would passing more move us up in the pass ratings? Probably, but it might move us down in offense because we are not very good at it yet. I think CPJ would like to pass more, but we have some pieces missing right now?

Passing is not a magic pill we can take to move us into the top 20 in offense, at this point it would probably have the opposite effect. I think we all want the same thing and that is to win. I trust CPJ will pass more when it will help us win.

Being one dimensional will prevent you from winning big consistently. I'm sorry haven't we had enough evidence to see that in these past 3 going on 4 years. CPJ knows he needs to develop the passing attack, everyone knows we need to develop our passing.

GT has to become more balanced.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Being one dimensional will prevent you from winning big consistently. I'm sorry haven't we had enough evidence to see that in these past 3 going on 4 years. CPJ knows he needs to develop the passing attack, everyone knows we need to develop our passing.

GT has to become more balanced.

I agree with this. I think that CPJ wants to become more balanced. We will always be run heavy, which I actually like. I cannot think of a team that won a national championship even in the last decade that could not run the ball well. Most that come to mind were run heavy, but more balanced than we are.

At some point, a team will come a long that is really going to test your running game. I think you need other weapons to go with when that happens, and I think CPJ gets it.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with this. I think that CPJ wants to become more balanced. We will always be run heavy, which I actually like. I cannot think of a team that won a national championship even in the last decade that could not run the ball well. Most that come to mind were run heavy, but more balanced than we are.

At some point, a team will come a long that is really going to test your running game. I think you need other weapons to go with when that happens, and I think CPJ gets it.
Yes, I also think CPJ understands he needs to be more effective when we pass and in some cases we need to pass more, but he prefers to run. I don't have the statistics, but Alabama prefers to run most of the time also.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer

As well, and as much as we run the ball, passing should be easy. If we could get more comfortable and efficient with passing, than running the ball will be easier. Then we will see our offense really take off.

Idk how much time our WRs spend on route running and catching, and QBs spend on throwing in the offseason? Not abandoning the option but if we want to throw 30% of the time, we need to devote 30% of practice to running pass plays, routes, and pass blocking.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

Lol. I never advocated passing more. My only point if you would read my previous posts is that we are not that efficient on offense

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
I honestly believe that if we could pass protect better we would be passing more. From an eyeball test, it feels that when Vad is given time in the pocket or moves the pocket he makes great throws. It's when pass protect breaks down that his throws are off target. If the line could protect long enough for the play to develop, I feel we would see more passing. Since it can't do that, we don't see a lot of it. Why CPJ refuses short dump offs is beyond me though.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I completely understand what you are saying. But regretfully I don't agree that our offense is as efficient as you suggest. Not only is this portrayed in Total Offense but in results in the Win column.

I will say that it has the capability to be unstoppable if executed correctly. Like it was in 2009. Which in turn lead to an 11 win season.

Points/Drive - 7 for scrimmage TD, 3 for FG and a drive is any possession not ending a half or ending in a safety (non-scrimmage fumbles introduce minor error).

In ppd, GT was 23 in 12, 14 in 11 and 3 in 09. For the four years combined (09-12), we're 11. When you consider that we were 57 in the 10 meltdown year, that's pretty a pretty impressive efficiency. For the two years, 11-12 combined, we were 9.

Our ppd so far this year is higher than what we ended with last year.

By comparison, CU was 14 and FSU was 18 for 11-12 combined and UNC was 29.

W-L seems to me to be an ignorant way to judge an offense. Defense also plays a role.

gtdrew

Banned
I honestly believe that if we could pass protect better we would be passing more. From an eyeball test, it feels that when Vad is given time in the pocket or moves the pocket he makes great throws. It's when pass protect breaks down that his throws are off target. If the line could protect long enough for the play to develop, I feel we would see more passing. Since it can't do that, we don't see a lot of it. Why CPJ refuses short dump offs is beyond me though.
I've heard him say a couple times that he considers the pitch game to be their short-passing game. Why have a qb drop back five yds, risk getting sacked, and only pick up three yds? When CPJ throws, he wants it to hurt. Not saying I completely agree, but that's the reasoning I've heard him give...

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Lol. I never advocated passing more. My only point if you would read my previous posts is that we are not that efficient on offense

I agree with us not being very efficient right now. The effective passing takes to pressure off of running, since teams load the box and dare us to pass. That is why CPJ says we need to be more effective when we pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.