The fumbled snap on the game winning drive...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
who's fault was that? My guess it was King's but I'm not sure how the timing is determined. My guess is that King should have called for the snap well before Singleton was between he and the center. Or, it could have been Singleton's fault for leaving too early or running too fast. I dunno.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I’ll chalk it up to first game, pressure situation. Running as much jet motion as we do, this was bound to happen at some point. Hopefully it gets ironed out, because the motion is clearly effective.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me that the loud crowd noise from the FSU fans at that moment might have caused a mistimed snap from the center.

Just my guess.

Greenjackets

Georgia Tech Fan
I was curious as well. Looking at replay looked to me like QB times his clap with Singleton still in the way. QB didn’t time the snap properly. The ball is snapped on the clap so likely not crowd noise induced.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
On the radio call, they thought that Singleton was a little out of timing. Basically when the center snapped the ball, Haynes couldn't see it and had to catch it almost blind. Singleton must have been a bit early in this case.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ok come on people it was a called play to get the hopes up of the FSU fans. We just wanted them to suffer a little more before we kicked the winning FG.
Yea i saw King dive and tip the ball to our lineman. We wanted to run a clutch play like Miami. We had them all the way.

Actually it looked like the h back was a little deep which forced singleton to arc out very close to king. Center, crowd, king, wr, and now h back are a part of root cause investigation.

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The center snapped the ball just a hair early, but King still should have caught it. In the end, King was able to swat it away from the FSU defender just in time to allow the good guys to grab it.

How clutch was the next play to Singleton????? Wow!
Y'all are merging the two fumbles into one play. Fumble 1 was the screwed up mesh....King swatted the ball and Rutledge fell on it amongst a crowd of FSU defenders. Fumble 2 was a botched snap....King picked it up and rolled to his left, trying to make something out of nothing, and got tackled for a 10 yard loss.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
Y'all are merging the two fumbles into one play. Fumble 1 was the screwed up mesh....King swatted the ball and Rutledge fell on it amongst a crowd of FSU defenders. Fumble 2 was a botched snap....King picked it up and rolled to his left, trying to make something out of nothing, and got tackled for a 10 yard loss.
Oops - you're right. My bad!

Flajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
At that point in the game, the plan was to run the ball and score a tD or kick a field goal.

Given there had already been a botched snap, I was wondering why King didn't go under center for the rest of the drive.

I have no idea if they even practice snaps under center, but it seems like a good opportunity to minimize errors.

But I like Stech81's analysis.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The center snapped the ball just a hair early, but King still should have caught it. In the end, King was able to swat it away from the FSU defender just in time to allow the good guys to grab it.

How clutch was the next play to Singleton????? Wow!
You are confusing thetwo fumbles.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
A bit off topic … just thought I’d mention it here:

I never saw any GT offensive play that began with the QB under center. They were all shotgun snaps.

Dubz85123

Georgia Tech Fan
A bit off topic … just thought I’d mention it here:

I never saw any GT offensive play that began with the QB under center. They were all shotgun snaps.
Just got done re-watching the game. I can confirm, there were no snaps taken under center. I would take a look into Jamey Chadwell at Liberty/Coastal Carolina, If you want a good idea of what this offense is going to look like.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Just got done re-watching the game. I can confirm, there were no snaps taken under center. I would take a look into Jamey Chadwell at Liberty/Coastal Carolina, If you want a good idea of what this offense is going to look like.
Agreed. I watched a lot replays on Coastal when Chadwells name was in the Tech HC mix and I loved the offense. Our offense is definitely similar.

As for the last minute fumble, it looked to me, even after re-watching, that King signaled for Singleton and Singleton even had his arms open for the fake jet sweep… seems to me like a split second late snap. First game woes that will definitely get cleaned up.