The Defense is the Offense

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Many ways that can be taken, but here's what I mean:

In watching the Alcorn game, Woody's defensive strategy crystalized for me. It relies on guys firing off the ball and getting to the point of attack. Every person has a specific responsibility that they need to execute individually, but doing so is what allows us to work together as a team. Things went wrong in the Alcorn game when guys tried to be heroes and gave up their leverage to try and make a play, leaving other guys out of position to clean things up. But at the same time, the goal is to leverage all the athleticism our players have. We want them disrupting things and not having to think out there, but they do also need to be disciplined in the sense that they are in charge of being disruptive within their own assignment and trusting everyone else to be there if you aren't. Sometimes failing to do that doesn't bite you because the ball goes a different way or the other team beats themselves or they lack athleticism. Sometimes the
Jimmy's beat the Joe's and win despite everyone doing their job. But even against athletically superior teams, it's hard to do that consistently. As on offense we're most successful with experience and execution rather than athleticism, the same figures to be true for Woody's defense.

I have a feeling we're going to grow to analyze the D just like we do the O. There's a lot that can be appreciated about how the defense is constructed to work on a play that goes well beyond our guys beating their guys. Fun stuff.

Also, I'm curious if the new defense will help on kick coverage units. We are learning to be a lot more disciplined about gap integrity, and getting out of your lane covering kicks is the cardinal sin in giving up big returns. Hopefully the defensive guys on ST will use this to their advantage and help teach the other guys the importance of it too. We saw little in the way of attempted returns with Alcorn, and it was Alcorn, but what we did see was covered well at least fundamentals-wise.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we will see the coverage units improve just because of the newer/different/better/increased/etc focus on angles and tackling.

There just seems to be an overall better "everyone flood to the ball" mentality. I saw more guys around the ball last weekend than I've seen the last several years. If we just get a little better at wrapping up? Shoot. We can have a darn good defense.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Many ways that can be taken, but here's what I mean:

In watching the Alcorn game, Woody's defensive strategy crystalized for me. It relies on guys firing off the ball and getting to the point of attack. Every person has a specific responsibility that they need to execute individually, but doing so is what allows us to work together as a team. Things went wrong in the Alcorn game when guys tried to be heroes and gave up their leverage to try and make a play, leaving other guys out of position to clean things up. But at the same time, the goal is to leverage all the athleticism our players have. We want them disrupting things and not having to think out there, but they do also need to be disciplined in the sense that they are in charge of being disruptive within their own assignment and trusting everyone else to be there if you aren't. Sometimes failing to do that doesn't bite you because the ball goes a different way or the other team beats themselves or they lack athleticism. Sometimes the
Jimmy's beat the Joe's and win despite everyone doing their job. But even against athletically superior teams, it's hard to do that consistently. As on offense we're most successful with experience and execution rather than athleticism, the same figures to be true for Woody's defense.

I have a feeling we're going to grow to analyze the D just like we do the O. There's a lot that can be appreciated about how the defense is constructed to work on a play that goes well beyond our guys beating their guys. Fun stuff.

Also, I'm curious if the new defense will help on kick coverage units. We are learning to be a lot more disciplined about gap integrity, and getting out of your lane covering kicks is the cardinal sin in giving up big returns. Hopefully the defensive guys on ST will use this to their advantage and help teach the other guys the importance of it too. We saw little in the way of attempted returns with Alcorn, and it was Alcorn, but what we did see was covered well at least fundamentals-wise.

I think this D is highly susceptible to play action, flea flickers, and WR/RB passes. Even so, watching this is so much more enjoyable than “bend but don’t break”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Don’t forget the Hook and Ladder play...

Delicious. [emoji41]

0f9c8b04ede7edc145d017b2c7c73e8b.png

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
What happens is the center has the ball first, then the quarterback will say "hike"... Then the center will put the ball into the hands of the quarterback. Then the defense will attempt to tackle the quarterback, unless he gives the ball to someone else, in which case the defense will try to tackle that person.

Sums it up right there my friends.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this D is highly susceptible to play action, flea flickers, and WR/RB passes. Even so, watching this is so much more enjoyable than “bend but don’t break”.

I hope USF doesn't run the Philly Special on us like the Eagles did to the Falcons last night.