The Day Tech Won The Rose Bowl (Photos)

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I have never been able to view the new AJC galleries - work/home/cookies on/off /3 diff browsers/script block on/off/ proxy servers. Nothing works so I gave up.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Great pics.

Do we still call the practice field Rose Bowl Field? Does anyone know? If not...who here remembers this? :)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for those awesome photos! Those were some tough SOB's back in the day! That was my grandfather's era, the guy in my avatar. That's his team pic, '25 U of Mich.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
under assumption the picture itself is public record -
rose-bowl1.jpg

mistaben

Georgia Tech Fan
Mah Ole Dad was friends with Joe Westbrook (first row, third from right; both are now deceased). There was a reunion of the Rose Bowl Players in Atlanta - for the 5oth or 60th anniversary as I recall - and one of the parties was at my parents home. Some of the players from Cal were there - including Riegels. And my dad had a prized set highball glasses that displayed the scores from Tech's championship seasons including 1928. After the party one of the glasses was missing. Westbrook advised Dad that Riegels was the culprit. But, while he may have been a thief, everyone thought he was a pretty good guy.

To see how the run haunted him throughout his life, scroll down to the "Aftermath" paragraph here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Riegels
Best line: "When presented his membership card into the Georgia Tech Lettermen's Club 42 years later, Riegels quipped, "Believe me, I feel I've earned this.""

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Mah Ole Dad was friends with Joe Westbrook (first row, third from right; both are now deceased). There was a reunion of the Rose Bowl Players in Atlanta - for the 5oth or 60th anniversary as I recall - and one of the parties was at my parents home. Some of the players from Cal were there - including Riegels. And my dad had a prized set highball glasses that displayed the scores from Tech's championship seasons including 1928. After the party one of the glasses was missing. Westbrook advised Dad that Riegels was the culprit. But, while he may have been a thief, everyone thought he was a pretty good guy.

To see how the run haunted him throughout his life, scroll down to the "Aftermath" paragraph here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Riegels
Best line: "When presented his membership card into the Georgia Tech Lettermen's Club 42 years later, Riegels quipped, "Believe me, I feel I've earned this.""
IIRC, that reunion occurred in 1978, when Cal came to Grant Field.