The "Day" has come for a change

natureboy

Georgia Tech Fan
Good morning my tech faithful,as I lay in my bed on a cool Sunday morning, I come to the realization (already)that we (cost cutting Bob B.)need to get a plan in place to hire Archie Miller from Dayton.Coach "Dredgory"was at the same school and couldn't come close to Coach Miller(look at his resume).In fact,maybe we the people need to look at the AD and ask what the blank are you doing to "our" school!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good morning my tech faithful,as I lay in my bed on a cool Sunday morning, I come to the realization (already)that we (cost cutting Bob B.)need to get a plan in place to hire Archie Miller from Dayton.Coach "Dredgory"was at the same school and couldn't come close to Coach Miller(look at his resume).In fact,maybe we the people need to look at the AD and ask what the blank are you doing to "our" school!

@natureboy Welcome to the GT hoops forum! There are some pretty lengthy threads on this topic, but a few high points...
  • MBob screwed up his chances of getting help on wrapping the buyouts on both Hewitt (who was actually owed more than BG after last season) & BG when he botched BG's extension.
  • If we didn't have $7MM last year to clean up our hoops contracts, we're not going to have $4MM after this season to clean them up. Forget the fact we have the potential for a good season and BG's actually landed a solid class so far this cycle.
  • Finally, when the time comes to hire a new hoops coach, there's an extremely high likelihood that we seek out an young up & comer that's reasonably priced (under $1.5MM/year). We've been priced out of Archie Miller, Chris Mack, and several other candidates for quite some time.

natureboy

Georgia Tech Fan
Okay, right you might be, so if we're looking at a coach on the cheap, how about reading the June 15 thread by youdothemath ,as he considers Billy Donlon from Wright State

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@natureboy no need to really. We have this 53-page thread that discussed potential replacements at length.

https://gtswarm.com/threads/coaches-on-the-hot-seat.6101/

Also, go check out Billy Donlon's career record at Wright State and his stops along the way getting there. Not much over .500, not much in the way of postseason play, has only coached at the low to mid-major level.

There are better prospects out there when the time comes, which is probably 2 seasons away, at a minimum, assuming BG can't turn it around in that time.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
You guys who want to buy out Gregory need to give MBob a $4 million cashiers check; and if you are wanting to get rid of Johnson also better make that a $19 million check.

(The numbers are based on rumor - but you get the idea.)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I personally would rather get rid of MBob first. Mismanagement can ruin anything we attempt to do, we must have competent leadership at the top before anything else can happen properly or endure. Mismanagement in the AD's office over the last 10 years is why our basketball program has dropped for being a perennial Top 25 program wondering what our seeding would be to being a lower tier ACC team with only dim hopes of post-season play.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I personally would rather get rid of MBob first. Mismanagement can ruin anything we attempt to do, we must have competent leadership at the top before anything else can happen properly or endure. Mismanagement in the AD's office over the last 10 years is why our basketball program has dropped for being a perennial Top 25 program wondering what our seeding would be to being a lower tier ACC team with only dim hopes of post-season play.

Absolutely agree. GT, more than most schools, needs a top notch AD. We have had 3 losers in a row. When Homer retired and Kim King died, I knew things would trend downwardly, but it is worse than I could imagine.

After the Hewitt contract, why does the Athletic Board (it's not just Boobinski) continue to hand out sweet contract extensions based on marginal success? I actually like Gregory, but what has he done to justify an extension? Paul Johnson had three losing FBS seasons in 4 years, then has one good season. Now he has a contract with guaranteed money through 2020? Really? Paul Hewitt redux. Does the Athletic Board ever learn?

Fear is a motivator, and with these contracts the coaches have no fear of being fired, and no motivation to perform (although I give Gregory credit for recruiting this year) .

I negotiate contracts for a living, and I am completely disgusted with the mismanagement at the GTAA. That is why I am a former 30 year contributor to the AT Fund.

natureboy

Georgia Tech Fan
You know in reading the opinions, and doing my "own homework", I have come to an understanding that. .. 1.We hope that Coach B. has an incredible season, which we don't have to "find" a coach, seeing that the "power's that be" are incompetent, and don't have the $'s to hire a good coach, or 2...We have to....I don't know, I'm frustrated and angry that my proud program has fallen in "the flats".

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@natureboy FWIW, while I'm ticked with what MBob did (the buyout restructure, not the actual extension), I will say the blame is strewn across Dave Braine, LazyAD, & MBob for the overall hoops contract situation.

You know in reading the opinions, and doing my "own homework", I have come to an understanding that. .. 1.We hope that Coach B. has an incredible season, which we don't have to "find" a coach, seeing that the "power's that be" are incompetent, and don't have the $'s to hire a good coach, or 2...We have to....I don't know, I'm frustrated and angry that my proud program has fallen in "the flats".
Welcome to the club friend. I was lucky in that I got to watch the beginning of the whole program being built. I can remember when we had a run of 6 ACC Rookie of the year awards. Preseason number ONE. Making the dance wasn't just expected but making a big run was. Paul making the final four was great, but hind sight it may have been our down fall. Blewitt got his incredible contract and now we are who we are an after thought. Hopefully the program gets turned around, but I'm not holding my breath.