The Day After

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'd love to see an assistant or two who can manage the things he's weak at--maybe MBob already has that figured out.
That was implied at the presser. More than one comment about "this not being my team," and, "Mike has the best basketball mind of any AD in the country and I am going to rely on him a lot."

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I wasn't a fan of CBG at all. There was nothing to like.

CPJ is different for me. The main reason is that he has had a string of success (4 straight years in the tourney) & he's had success as a recruiter (3 Top 10 recruiting finishes). That's key for me.

Bringing in Moore & hiring some top quality assistants would make me even happier.

I slightly like Martin better and Drew would have been optimal but when you look objectively CPJ has the same record as the other candidates.

Show him support and love and help him bring in the recruits.

I'll give him a chance if you agree to stop calling him CPJ. ;)

Seriously though, I think I've reached the acceptance stage on this thing. The seemingly favorable contract put it over the edge for me.

My anti-CPast reign of terror is officially over.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="
I said before that the next 14 or so months of recruiting will be more interesting than the basketball. Right now this program is an aircraft carrier not a canoe, gonna take some time to turn this franchise around and I say that to myself as much as anyone as I am not the most patient (no no no, it's ok, I'm aware) I think he did well with the presser, bringing in Huff and White (or young)would win him some battles in the city (esp young as you would win 2 ways) and bringing in Moore and possibly Simmons right off the back along with keeping your 3 other commits would get the boards/fans on your side with an immediate talent infusion. If he gets those 3 wins (already won the PC IMHO) he will be off to a very good start.

I'm dipping my toe in the water trying to get a feel for the temperature.[/QUOTE]

I will do my best to start out in a half full manner. Given his recent history at Memphis and in fact the way his mentor Calipari would work - I expect to see a good bit of roster churn over the next 12 months and likely even some short term. I expect he will want to clean out some of CBG's recruiting misses. Bringing his PG from Memphis would be a huge get and one that would make me smile. But not nearly enough with this roster. Given his recent background I expect he will try to stress the Hill and see what JUCO players he can get in. I don't claim to know the rythm of JUCO recruiting and when those kids make their decisions but if it is possible I would not be surprised to see one or even two JUCO guys. If he can get them in he will create a roster spot for them.

I would not be surprised to see a good bit of roster churn even between now and the start of next season.

LibertyTurns

Banned
That was implied at the presser. More than one comment about "this not being my team," and, "Mike has the best basketball mind of any AD in the country and I am going to rely on him a lot."
OK, I'm just a fan not a basketball expert. If AD Bobo is such a basketball expert, how about at the next fan-AD get together someone ask him what he thinks he's been watching in McCamish the past 3.75 seasons? It only resembled basketball on occasion so I'm assuming he missed a lot of games while he was busy doing other more important stuff.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah I have reserved posting anything until I felt like I had some time to digest the hire. I'm not crazy about the way it all happened, but hope to see the effects in recruiting.

I said for a while the solution to our program was getting CBG a better bench coach to help with the X's and O's so I'm frustrated to think it'll be the same old same old there.

Having said that, I'm a lifelong GT fan, and already took the shaft for 4 years, so there's no going back now.

Welcome to the flats CJP - wishing you the best of fortune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

I would like to think that the reason CBG didn't get the assistant help he needed was $$$. Given the way this deal is structured, I'm hopeful the funding is now there to get CJP the support he needs.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was another no guy on Pastner - as people know - but he is the coach now and he has my full support. I'll be at the first game ready to cheer. i thought his PC was good. Fairly typical responses, but the energy was good and he hit the right talking points. He's already thrown 2 offers out this morning so he is hitting the trail fast and hard.

I think Pea hit it on the head, the next 14 months is really more important in recruiting than on the court.

It does feel like we at least were relatively smart with the contract (though I want to see buyout details). Being on the hook for basically $1.5MM yr is not bad at all. Basically what they did is give him a 6 yr deal that would pay him what his guaranteed buyout from Memphis was and got Memphis to throw a little money at it, One of the keys now, is will we use some of that savings (given we heard we offered 2.3-2.4MM for Drew and even more for Mack) in upgrading staff or do we pocket it and try to play cheap. If it is the former we have a chance to really get better, if it is the latter, then I suspect we are doing this again in 4-5 yrs.