The current reality of GT Hoops - A Primer

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
"not a good coach" does not equal "not know hoops"
You left out a key word, "not a good BASKETBALL coach". Which means he cannot coach the game. His body of work at Dayton for ten years, shows otherwise.

I am not supporting the fact he can survive at the highest level in the ACC. What I am saying is that at a mid-major, he did have a winning record which proves he does know the game very well and can coach young SA's at said game.

End of story!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
His body of work at Dayton for ten years, shows otherwise.

It does? He coached 8 seasons in the A-10. 5 of which he finished 7th or worse in the standings. He made the tournament twice and won the NIT once. Im not saying thats bad but its not exactly overwhelming. On top of that the Dayton fan base was elated when he left for Atlanta.

The ACC is the best of the best.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You left out a key word, "not a good BASKETBALL coach". Which means he cannot coach the game. His body of work at Dayton for ten years, shows otherwise.

I am not supporting the fact he can survive at the highest level in the ACC. What I am saying is that at a mid-major, he did have a winning record which proves he does know the game very well and can coach young SA's at said game.

End of story!

I neither subtracted nor added words from what I quoted. The point remains regardless, knowledge does not equal ability to coach any more than the ability to teach, as my time at Tech taught me. As @Peacone36 suggests you may want to look again at his time Dayton. He wasn't that conference on fire as a rule either.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
It does? He coached 8 seasons in the A-10. 5 of which he finished 7th or worse in the standings. He made the tournament twice and won the NIT once. Im not saying thats bad but its not exactly overwhelming. On top of that the Dayton fan base was elated when he left for Atlanta.

The ACC is the best of the best.

I said a mid-major, not the ACC. Not all of the fan base was ecstatic when he left. I never said he overwhelmed that conference. He did beat us in his only meeting. Has beaten the Mutts all three games while here. In no way am I defending a 19-51 ACC record. He does graduate his players...they are fundamentally sound as a rule. Not proclaiming him to be the greatest recruiter. He is overmatched in his current job, it does not mean he can't coach basketball. When Cremins left, he still had success at Charleston. He definetly needed to leave the ACC.

I was taking issue with a certain poster who was not being fair in his assessment.

Keep arguing his point for him, however this current Coach is the GT coach and he works hard at his profession. Dayton never came close to firing him and he had a winning record. Furthermore, he was well regarded as an Asst. Head Coach at Michigan St. Although, pretty sure you are going to spin that and Tom Izzo another way to make him look bad.

He capped off the 2009–2010 season by leading the Flyers to the 2010 National Invitation Tournament trophy over the North Carolina Tar Heels men's basketball team. On January 14, 2008, Gregory led the Dayton Flyers to a top-14 ranking in the AP poll.[3] This was the highest ranking for Dayton in 40 years.[4] Gregory had a 172–94 record with the Flyers.[5]

LibertyTurns

Banned
OK, I'll clarify. Emphasize the word COACH. In my mind that means taking the knowledge of the tasks & getting the TEAM to understand & try to execute. No Team is full of All-Stars, so the best a good coach can do is ensure the Team grasps the concepts and tries their best to succeed. I'm no basketball guru & if you guys are telling me that's what we're getting I respect that. Hard for this arm chair QB to see it.

In my career, I'm seen many a man who has been brilliant, etc but cannot get his Team to execute. Good organizations embrace both strengths and weaknesses and develop a Leadership Team capable of excelling. That is why I maintain my position that we need a Coach. Does that person need to be the Head Coach? I say no. I do not understand why other Teams are allowed to have assistants & that's ok, but when you talk about bringing in someone to bolster Gregory's Leadership Team that's big no no and "we're hacking him off at the knees". If my Team relied on me to be the only expert in very area, I'd crash & burn.

I really don't care how GT navigates thru this dilemma we have other than the fact that we have a problem and I wish we'd address it aggressively. I don't sit by passively in my job and I don't expect MBob to either. If MBob has guided Gregory well & we're about the see the fruits of his labor in a few years then great. I'll be a happy man.

The Team is not losing me. I'll still be there in front of my TV watching every game hoping we win. I'll listen to internet radio if I need to. I've attended every game GT has played that I was able to get to. I hope we can field a competitive Team soon that the players & fans can be satisfied GT is trying its best to support them.

Again, sorry if the intent of my posting has been misconstrued. That's my fault. I'll be refraining from commenting further other than support of the Team going forward. I believe we all want the same thing. Go Jackets!!!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Fundamentally sound?!

Ok that is where I walk away.

Yes, to be in all those close ACC games to the end...they have to play some defense, inbound the ball, hit some free throws, play team concept basketball, have a game plan, et al.

The same things that "your man Blewwitt" couldn't get executed with his last team here. They never quit on CBG. I never said the offense ran smoothly or they have the talent to win in the ACC at a high level.

This is where I walk away from talking any rational reason with you because the AD has made his decision for at least the start of this season if not for the next two seasons. Enjoy your "dislike" for our coach and keep the blinders on.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Biggest issue is the "limited" talent we are bringing in now. A couple of scorers that can play within the team concept would make a BIG difference.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I completely 100% agree with what you're saying. The Hewitt contract is the real culprit here. Which, like you are saying, is the heads that made those decisions. The shameful part in all this is a very good basketball program may have been permanently destroyed.

There is absolutely no way that CBG and/or MBob could permanently destroy the BB program. I have to presume that you have no idea of the condition of GT men's BB (and perhaps the entire athletic department) when Bobby Cremins took over. There is absolutely no way that either of the two aforementioned gentleman could inflict that much damage. (imo)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My only comment on the state of GT basketball is that my one major problem is really the AD's (Braine and MBob). I don't blame the other coaches (or ANY player) anymore than I blame a 6'4" kid trying to play a 6'10" kid....they're trying their best, they just don't have what that other guy has.

The AD's however.....I am actually quite pleased with those alums who turned their back on MBob after learning about his handling of the extension.