The Conundrum

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
We are finally making DC sweat again on how to stop this O. Over the past 5 games, we have seen varying styles "boxers" on defense:
Miami making the decision to take out the head (JT) wishing the body would fall
VT being tactical showing us different looks hoping our young QB would make a mistake
The first 3 teams doing there best rope-a-dope hoping we make a mental mistake that they could capitalize on.

For the most part, none of those styles have worked. So I guess the question is, what do you expect to see from here on out from opposing defenses or what style would you use to go to combat vs. us?
We may have already played the two best defenses we are going to see this year.
Personally, after watching JT run this offense, my opinion is that he runs it so fast that we are more likely to stop ourselves with turnovers than anyone else slowing us down. At the game, you could see Miami trying to jump the snap to get an edge and there were still guys that were out of position defensively. I think this is the fastest this offense has run since CPJ came here and that includes 2009. And very few stopped is that year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The Death March is too slow and boring. I'd go with Prussian Glory! That's a tune with real chutzpah!

And I'd teach the band how to do the fife and drum prelude too! And to do that kraut thing with the drums and cymbals beating out the cadence!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I suspect this will be the next defensive adjustment to see if JT can beat ya with his arm. I thought Miami had the athletes to try this. I guess they didn't trust their CBs enough?

Good luck stopping all the running options to make that happen

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I suspect this will be the next defensive adjustment to see if JT can beat ya with his arm. I thought Miami had the athletes to try this. I guess they didn't trust their CBs enough?
Agree completely - mix the coverage, have small fast defensive end ( play lb if needed) and chase the play down from offside. There speed was wasted waiting on plays

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Clemson has the best D we will face this year....that includes possible matchup vs. FSU. Their O is much improved with that Freshman QB. UGA was lucky as hell to play them before that kid won the job. We can beat them but may take our best overall performance. I think Clemson is a better overall team that UGA at the moment.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
What Miami threw out there on D is the most sound way to defend us, IMO. They eliminate the vertical passing threat, and minimize the QB contribution. If they had a D line that could stone Laskey every now and again, we could have been slaughtered. We were giving up 9 yards a play! The game came down to the turnovers.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Luckily there is the "clemsoning themselves" factor to consider, no matter how much talent they throw out there

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
IF you have the DT’s, then they way Miami played us would work. If not, I would stack the box and bring several different types of run blitzes and try to force mistakes and make JT win with his arm. I wouldn’t play conservative at all, our defense will give up points so if you get burned on a few big plays you just get the ball back again and our lack of defensive depth will just mean the defense doesn’t have time to stay fresh.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I think I would kind of take a page out of our own defensive book... play conservative, a little like Miami, most of the time, make us run a lot of plays, then change something in a key situation to make something happen. Do a cross charge and have the OLB take the dive every time, and then give the same look, seeming like the OLB is going to take the BB, then have him run right by the BB and take the QB and have the DE go straight to the pitch from the get-go. That covers everybody and has a good chance at stopping us for a loss. It wouldn't work often, maybe twice per game, so you'd have to pick your spots. (This post will self-destruct in 10 seconds.)
VJ,
a hunter has been sent to stop you from detailing any of your nefarious ideas