The "Collins effect "........

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
CC and Coke, tall glass, lots of ice ...
Incidentally, on a side note to share with you guys. I had a scare lately where my blood sugar count got in the pre-diabetic range.
Upon consultation with my MD on my eating/drinking habits I found out diet soda is the worst thing on the market for you.
Years ago I switched to diet coke thinking I was doing something good, but apparently whatever they use for sweetner to get zero calories is like drinking a glass of pure sugar ... switching back to regular coke.

Diet Coke is the devil.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
If you want to recruit better you will also need more than two, or even 4, recruiting staff members when our peers have 20-40.
Cannot emphasis this enough!! Does not matter how good the coaches can recruit, they need to know who to recruit. For us to be able to take a step or two above what CPJ was able to do for us, this has to happen and ASAP. Our recruiting pool is academically limited so we need to go nationwide to make our recruiting pool as large as possible.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Cannot emphasis this enough!! Does not matter how good the coaches can recruit, they need to know who to recruit. For us to be able to take a step or two above what CPJ was able to do for us, this has to happen and ASAP. Our recruiting pool is academically limited so we need to go nationwide to make our recruiting pool as large as possible.

Blasphemy! All ya need is a head coach with energy and charisma. No need to search and evaluate prospects. No need for a staff that keeps in daily contact with all of our targets. That kinda thinking is just crazy.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I will be hunting for our coastal peers w 20-40 on their recruiting staff. Ok found them Clemson and FSU.

Moving on
I love your point on Andy Mc thread that says "u think GC is handling recruiting pretty well so far".

U and I totally agree on the need for more support staff. No one thinks we can be competitive in coastal w out it.

I was hoping to start talking about how we spend more money in Gt recruiting.

Animal02

Banned
I will be hunting for our coastal peers w 20-40 on their recruiting staff. Ok found them Clemson and FSU.

Moving on
I love your point on Andy Mc thread that says "u think GC is handling recruiting pretty well so far".

U and I totally agree on the need for more support staff. No one thinks we can be competitive in coastal w out it.

Start with airline tickets.:D

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
It has been " interesting " watching the thread I started evolve. From what I see there are several thoughts going on :
1) Some are STILL mad that CPJ retired. As far as I know, he was not forced to retire.
2) Those that are glad CPJ retired, and continue to want to point out his shortcomings as a coach.
3) There are those that are ecstatic about CGC being hired and feel it was overdue - not necessarily the same as #2 above.
3) There are " the TO gave us an advantage " group , who wanted Monken or someone similar.
4) There are the CGC hire supporters who ALREADY predict disaster , if funding doesn't improve.
5) There are those who are willing to give CGC a chance to improve the branding ,culture, excitement and funding.
6) There are those who feel the entire program is doomed unless we broaden the curriculum.
7) There may be more I have failed to mention.

Good summary. May I add one? (perhaps it should be under your point 7):
There are those who, no matter what their position on any of the above, argue that position by calling others delusional or saying they just don’t understand football. I don’t find either of those to be compelling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Well CPJ did offer 26 of the top 39 Recruits in GA for the 2019 Class, that is a .666 ratio, that does extrapolate to 66 of the Top100 players in Ga being academic qualifiers for GT

If GA HSs put out those numbers of academic qualifiers most yrs., please explain why CPJ didn't recruit better

I think my logic is pretty fair, start explainin'
Conditional offers...primarily based on transcripts. Got it? Who let the dwags out?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I know some here will take this the wrong way, but here goes.

I've been in a couple of leadership changes in my day and Coach embodies traits that make me nervous. First, he "recruited" TStan. In his position I would automatically discount anyone who had researched my preferences closely enough to come in telling me what I wanted to hear. I was in on a search for leadership that was won by such a person. My first reaction was to wonder if I would ever see the real face of the successful candidate and I'm still waiting. This is especially the case when the candidate is glib; anyone who is always selling is, in my book, always difficult to trust. Second, people like this can be "control freaks"; i.e. so concerned with the image they are trying to project that they don't trust subordinates to do their work independently. The result can be declining morale. This syndrome is what we got with B*** L****.

Oth, this is not to say that Coach is one of those kinds of leaders. There's nothing wrong with being enthusiastic or talking up the possibilities of the program; shoot, most people try to do that when they first come in. The proof in the pudding here will be success on the field. We may have to wait for a couple of years to see if that pays off. If it does, then I think the showmanship will be the icing and nothing more. But if there isn't any cake …

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Our new coach seems , at this point, to be able to create a lot more interest in the program by radio interviews, assistant hiring questions, offensive and defensive changes, etc. He is the proverbial NEW KID IN TOWN ( cue The Eagles song of the same name).
I even saw 2 articles about Dwag football , AND 2 articles about TECH football in the AJC today !!
Of course , the question is , how long it will last. IMO, his energy and personality will be an improvement over the " current" regime. But talk and energy will only get you so far . The test comes for me in year 2. Give him year one to get his feet wet ( 5-7 to 7-5 is my guess ). Then , in year two , there best be IMPROVEMENT, even by one game. If there is a slide .......look out !! No pressure, though LOLo_O
What say you ??

There are so many individual replies I'd like to post here ... but most of the replies would be out of character for me and derail your original topic. :eek:

As to your initial post: how long will it last? Time will tell, I suppose. His second year is going to be brutal - my guess is he will do better his first year than his second.

But one thing CGC has going for him is he's got Stansbury as his AD. He's got an AD who's going to fight with him to see GT football excel.

CGC is going to have a much better situation at the back-end than CPJ did: more recruiting staff, more funding, a renovated Edge center, etc. And no "Dark Ages" with M-Bob.

For that reason alone my expectation is that CGC is going to do better than CPJ - if CGC has all those extras that CPJ didn't have and doesn't at least match his run I would be disappointed.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
People get too hung up on stars. Our offense has had hardly any 4 stars and has been a top 20 offense pretty consistently. Our defense has had much more talent and has been bad.

Give me good coaches who can develop talent over 4 stars. If we get top ranking 4-5 stars, great, but I won't define any coaches success by his signing day. Our defense should improve by virtue of having a better staff around our players. The question is going to be can the new staff find a way to be a productive on offense.

Washington State has 2 4 stars on their entire roster and had a helluva year.

Animal02

Banned

I've been in a couple of leadership changes in my day and Coach embodies traits that make me nervous. First, he "recruited" TStan. In his position I would automatically discount anyone who had researched my preferences closely enough to come in telling me what I wanted to hear. I was in on a search for leadership that was won by such a person. My first reaction was to wonder if I would ever see the real face of the successful candidate and I'm still waiting. This is especially the case when the candidate is glib; anyone who is always selling is, in my book, always difficult to trust. Second, people like this can be "control freaks"; i.e. so concerned with the image they are trying to project that they don't trust subordinates to do their work independently. The result can be declining morale. This syndrome is what we got with B*** L****.

Oth, this is not to say that Coach is one of those kinds of leaders. There's nothing wrong with being enthusiastic or talking up the possibilities of the program; shoot, most people try to do that when they first come in. The proof in the pudding here will be success on the field. We may have to wait for a couple of years to see if that pays off. If it does, then I think the showmanship will be the icing and nothing more. But if there isn't any cake …
You said it so much better than I ever could

Techster

Helluva Engineer

If that's the case, should you be more worried about CGC or TStan? CGC didn't hire himself, so if TStan couldn't see past the "salesman" and got sold a bunch of goods...well, maybe GT may have a bigger problem overall than who the football coach is.

IMO, GT is a school that needs someone who brings something on the field (CGC has fielded strong defenses), and someone who understands today's environment off the field. It's not purely about X's and O's anymore, otherwise CPJ, Monken, and Coach Ken at Navy would be some of the most sought after coaches at any level. Of course, at the end of the day results need to be there but the unfortunate part is that football has become more entertainment than sport.

I had an interesting thought the other day I'd like to flesh out more when I have the time. Right now, IMO, GT needs what CGC is has injected into the fanbase. There's a particular subset of fans that seemed to be holding on to something that's no longer here, but I'll get to that.

Last edited:

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
CC and Coke, tall glass, lots of ice ...
Incidentally, on a side note to share with you guys. I had a scare lately where my blood sugar count got in the pre-diabetic range.
Upon consultation with my MD on my eating/drinking habits I found out diet soda is the worst thing on the market for you.
Years ago I switched to diet coke thinking I was doing something good, but apparently whatever they use for sweetner to get zero calories is like drinking a glass of pure sugar ... switching back to regular coke.

upload_2018-12-17_16-29-17.gif

A 12 oz. can of Diet Coke has zero carbs.

A 12 oz. can of Coca-Cola has 39g of carbs.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

Few thoughts. First for coaches their professional lives are much more public than your typical business leader. As such there is a track record that TStan could review fairly easily. Second it appears much of the Temple staff will be joining Collins in Atlanta so I think that pretty much negates or at least minimizes the idea that he is some kind of control freak who won’t let his assistants do their work. I get the concern but do think this is a different kind of hire that those yo7 have been involved in.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Good summary. May I add one? (perhaps it should be under your point 7):
There are those who, no matter what their position on any of the above, argue that position by calling others delusional or saying they just don’t understand football. I don’t find either of those to be compelling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s because you are delusional:p
Tic

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Moving on

FWIW I’m pretty certain Duke has a staff of twenty or a little more. Maybe where I read that was wrong but I think it’s true. Who knows about duhU. I think their private school setup helps them hide how much they spend.

I’m not advocating we have to outspend everyone. I’m just saying we have to be in the same ballpark. What we did with a staff of 2 shows we can still operate and function. But how much better could we do with just a staff of 12? Seems obvious to me the improvement would be significant.